Cubs offseason thread

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs have had a brutal year, and fans are already thinking ahead to the offseason and preparing for 2011. Here's what the Cubs have:

C - Geovany Soto
1B -
2B - Blake DeWitt
SS - Starlin Castro
3B - Aramis Ramirez
LF - Alfonso Soriano
CF - Marlon Byrd
RF - Tyler Colvin

SP - Ryan Dempster
SP - Carlos Silva
SP - Randy Wells
SP - Tom Gorzelanny
SP -

RP - Carlos Marmol
RP - Sean Marshall
RP - John Grabow

Kosuke Fukudome is absent from the starting lineup in this picture. I expect the Cubs to try to trade him in the offseason, especially if Jim Hendry remains the GM. Even if Fukudome stays, the Cubs would probably give more playing time to Colvin.

The Cubs should be active in the free agent market for first basemen as they attempt to replace Derrek Lee. Adam Dunn, Carlos Pena, Aubrey Huff, and Paul Konerko could be options. Troy Glaus, Adam LaRoche, Lyle Overbay, and Lance Berkman might fit into the second tier. I can envision the Cubs pursuing Dunn if the Nationals don't extend him.

The Hendry front office has always succeeded in dumping players they've soured on, and Carlos Zambrano should be no exception. That still leaves four decent rotation options, with a handful of viable candidates to compete for the fifth spot (perhaps including Andrew Cashner and Thomas Diamond). The rotation lacks depth, but I'm not sure there will be room in the already-bloated payroll to pursue Cliff Lee or even Javier Vazquez. The Cubs probably will survey the free agent market for a veteran setup man, of which there are plenty of hit-or-miss options.

Last offseason the Cubs were somewhat paralyzed by the need to move Milton Bradley's contract before they knew how much money they had to spend. History might repeat itself as they attempt to unload large commitments to Zambrano and Fukudome. They'll also face big raises for arbitration-eligibles Geovany Soto and Carlos Marmol, among others. The Cubs' offseason should involve plenty of financial wrangling as they try to free up enough dollars to avoid bringing back the same 90-loss crew in 2011.

The Cubs' Offseason: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

---------------------------------------

I think its time we go ahead and start discussing any potential ideas.. Just to take away from any frustration.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Pena

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd love to find some takers for Silva and Demp if possible..

Don't really care if it means we have some growing pains.. I'd like to get younger.

JB94

Liked Posts:

I'd rather have Dunn, if possible. Pena's only two years younger than Lee and hasn't hit over .250 in 3 years.

If we can, I'd rather either resign Lee for a year or sign some cheap option at first and make a run at Fielder or Gonzalez next off season.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd rather have Dunn, if possible. Pena's only two years younger than Lee and hasn't hit over .250 in 3 years.

If we can, I'd rather either resign Lee for a year or sign some cheap option at first and make a run at Fielder or Gonzalez next off season.

I don't see us adding any major salaries really..

Ricketts shouldn't let Hendry/who ever the new GM would be just spend like wildfire.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also.. I don't see Fielder staying in the NL much longer.. He's an AL boy.

JB94

Liked Posts:
I see next year as a bridge year to a big offseason after the 2011 season. Fukudome, Lee, Samardzija, Grabow, and Silva will probably be gone. Lilly's already gone, and if we don't pick up Dempster's or Ramirez's option, we will have somewhere between 80-100 million dollars of payroll gone right there.

Assuming we can get a better GM by then, that's a lot of money to work with. Along with some big prospects that should be ready by then (Brett Jackson, Chris Archer, Jay Jackson, possibly Josh Vitters and to a lesser extent, Chris Carpenter) with other pretty big prospects right around the corner (Hak-Ju Lee, Junior Lake, Trey McNutt, Dae-Eun Rhee), and the prospects on the team now (Cashner, Castro, Colvin), we should have a decent core of players to work with.

The Cubs' should have enough spare money by then to sign at least two big time free agents, like Adrian Gonzalez and a top of the rotation pitcher. I'm just hoping for Hendry to spend as least as possible this offseason so we have enough money to sign someone like Gonzalez in 2012. But he'll probably screw it up and spend 15 million on bullpen pitchers this offseason.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Also.. I don't see Fielder staying in the NL much longer.. He's an AL boy.

^hmmm DH possibly?

and i hope the Cubs can land a good 1B like a Dunn or Pena who will give the cubs some power

i dont want the cubs to be desperate and give these guys fat contracts however

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm kind of convinced Dunn is coming here this offseason. Now that he has shown he can play first base (we can debate how good he is at it, but he is better there than in the OF) Hendry will be all over him.

Even with a drop in payroll, Hendry will find some money for Dunn.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
i hope dunn doesnt demand an inflated contract

CarlosSilva

Liked Posts:
My mom talked to randy bush and he told her that B. Jackson, Hak Ju Lee, and Chris Archer are their top prospects to come up and he hinted that Sandberg may be their new manager.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
what i would do is just sign a cheap option at 1B next year for 1 year.... Then next offseason i would go after Pujols or Fielder hard...then i would aslo go after Jose Reyes hard in 2012...still only be 29......

JB94

Liked Posts:
what i would do is just sign a cheap option at 1B next year for 1 year.... Then next offseason i would go after Pujols or Fielder hard...then i would aslo go after Jose Reyes hard in 2012...still only be 29......

I don't think we need Reyes. Hak-Ju Lee will likely be ready around then and he's been compared to Reyes, but with less power. Then we also have Junior Lake and assorted other middle infield prospects. We'll have to wait and see if Lee lives up to his hype though.

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i hope dunn doesnt demand an inflated contract

Pulling this out of my ass, but 3 years $40 million maybe for Dunn? I imagine that is about how long he has left passing as a NL player.

Hendry needs to win next year though. I agree with you on waiting, and would prefer to go after Fielder after 2011, but Hendry seems to be on his last chance (though he's had about 1,000 of them).

As for Reyes, sure he's a great player, but he's already having injury issues. How about we take our chance with the guy we have playing SS right now? He's pretty good.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pulling this out of my ass, but 3 years $40 million maybe for Dunn? I imagine that is about how long he has left passing as a NL player.

Hendry needs to win next year though. I agree with you on waiting, and would prefer to go after Fielder after 2011, but Hendry seems to be on his last chance (though he's had about 1,000 of them).

As for Reyes, sure he's a great player, but he's already having injury issues. How about we take our chance with the guy we have playing SS right now? He's pretty good.

i should have said i would sign Reyes for 2B....Cubs need a leadoff hitter so bad....

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

his current contract with the nationals is 2 years,20 mil which expires after this year IIRC

easy math 10 mil a year contract 3 yr 40 mil imo maybe be ok if the cubs can afford paying dunn that much although that is more than his current contract

dunn is 30 and has been hovering around a good average of 40 HRPG the last 5 or 6 years and he is on pace for another 40 HR season....i think he has about 4 or 5 good years left

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
My mom talked to randy bush and he told her that B. Jackson, Hak Ju Lee, and Chris Archer are their top prospects to come up and he hinted that Sandberg may be their new manager.

What?