Cubs Pre-Cactus League Roster Watch

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
I would try Hairston or Valbuena if there is no one else. Castro played 161.3 games this year, which he technically played in all games.

Neither of them have even played a fraction of an inning at 1B in their MLB career

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I think Beef Castle is the only guy that is a lock to make the roster that has played an inning of 1B. Clevenger or Lillibridge like I said would be my guesses at who gets the one open bench spot and either would be your backup 1B.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
What about Navarro as the back-up 1B?

Like Dab said, Clevenger is prolly at a disadvantage because he's left-handed.
Lillibridge is prolly at a disadvantage because he's not on the 40-man roster.

I think there's a good chance, the Cubs make a trade from now to the end of spring training and by that, Lillibridge will have an opening to make the team.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
What about Navarro as the back-up 1B?
You're backup catcher can't be the primary backup at 1B. I don't think it is essential because I agree Hairston or Valbuena could play there in a pinch. But I bet the Cubs would like to have a guy that they could put in at the corner spots for platoon advantage.
Like Dab said, Clevenger is prolly at a disadvantage because he's left-handed.
Lillibridge is prolly at a disadvantage because he's not on the 40-man roster.

I think there's a good chance, the Cubs make a trade from now to the end of spring training and by that, Lillibridge will have an opening to make the team.

Well given how slowly the Cubs plan to bring along Vizcaino I wouldn't be shocked if the Cubs start him on the 60 day DL which would open a 40 man roster spot. I agree that the Cubs are probably looking to make a move, but I am not certain that is too likely to happen in spring training given the various demands. Another thing that is being overlooked at this 40 man roster crunch is that the Cubs have currently 13 pitchers that can't be sent down. Rondon/Bowden are the guys on the bubble for that 12th pitcher spot and the guy that doesn't make it won't be on the 40 man roster anymore.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I heard people saying the Cubs should DFA Szczur. Since he's expected to not be a starter in his career. So teams may not want to take a chance with him on their 40-man roster.

Also, I doubt the Cubs would DFA Bowden since he'll likely to be claimed. With his strong finish last year and his strong outings in winter ball.

Vizcaino will most likely be placed on the 60-day DL and yes that's one move that will clear a spot on the 40-man roster. That may open the 25th spot Lillibridge.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I heard people saying the Cubs should DFA Szczur. Since he's expected to not be a starter in his career. So teams may not want to take a chance with him on their 40-man roster.

Also, I doubt the Cubs would DFA Bowden since he'll likely to be claimed. With his strong finish last year and his strong outings in winter ball.

Vizcaino will most likely be placed on the 60-day DL and yes that's one move that will clear a spot on the 40-man roster. That may open the 25th spot Lillibridge.

The Cubs won't DFA Bowden now, but they are going to have to choose between Bowden and Rondon by the end of spring training because they have 13 guys that can't be sent down right now without DFA or some other move (rule 5 restrictions, etc.).

Szczur might make some sense because he is far away but he is also prospecty enough that a team that Stros would probably claim him at this point would be my guess. Also Szczur has weird language in his contract about being guaranteed spring training invites and stuff like that so I am not certain they can just outright him off the 40 man roster or not.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
Szczur won't be DFAd.

However, Rondon might be able to be slipped on the 60 day DL since he is still in recovery postponing a choice of DFA.

After Campana, Clevenger makes the most sense to DFA, at least in my opinion

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Szczur won't be DFAd.

However, Rondon might be able to be slipped on the 60 day DL since he is still in recovery postponing a choice of DFA.

After Campana, Clevenger makes the most sense to DFA, at least in my opinion

Dont think you can put people on DL yet. Not till a certain part of ST. Clevenger will be claimed so dont think he be DFA. Campana would be most logical choice

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Dont think you can put people on DL yet. Not till a certain part of ST. Clevenger will be claimed so dont think he be DFA. Campana would be most logical choice

I agree.
522fb89c18f33a521260e206f870c568.jpeg

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah it isn't until the end of ST, might actually be until after ST but you backdate a DL stint to a certain part of ST if I remember correctly, that you can put people on the DL. I brought it up as a a way of open a 40 man roster spot for an NRI that might grab a bench spot since right handed infielders are short on this bench. And actually looking at this on most days Valbuena is going to be the most dangerous left handed bat, ugh.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:

Campy might get claimed too. His speed is a weapon and there are always teams that think they can teach anyone to hit

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
If Campy is DFA, I assume he will be claimed. Teams can start putting players on the 60-day DL on February 14th, according to a report.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Campy is DFA, I assume he will be claimed. Teams can start putting players on the 60-day DL on February 14th, according to a report that Waldo is going to post because this is going to be a good habit that Waldo will adopt in the future.

If that's true and since position players don't report for the Cubs until Feb 16, then they can wait to DL Rondon or whoever in order to get Scott Hairston on the roster.

http://www.springtrainingconnection.com/reportingdates.html

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I heard Campy likes to bang fat hookers according to this drunk guy I overheard at a crowded bar last night at 2 am.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I heard Campy likes to bang fat hookers according to this drunk guy I overheard at a crowded bar last night at 2 am.

It's because he knows he can outrun the fat hookers if he doesn't want to pay.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Muskat:

In case you missed it, Carlos Villanueva finally signed with the Cubs. The team made an official announcement late Saturday. The right-handed pitcher agreed to a two-year, $10 million deal that will pay him $5 million each year. He could contend for a spot in the rotation.

Right-handed pitcher Lendy Castillo, who was acquired in the Rule 5 Draft in 2011, was designated for assignment to make room for Villanueva on the 40-man roster. If he isn’t claimed, Castillo could rejoin the Cubs.

The team has yet to finalize its agreement with outfielder Scott Hairston. That also will require the front office to create an opening on the 40-man.

* There were reports Sunday that the Orioles and Rangers were interested in adding a right-handed bat, and that they have inquired about Alfonso Soriano. The Boston Globe reported the interest by the two teams in the veteran, who turned 37 earlier this month, and who would be a good fit for an American League team, which could use him as a designated hitter. Soriano does have a full no trade clause, so he would have to approve a move. He has two years remaining on his contract.

– Carrie Muskat

Trading Soriano would definitely help clear a roster spot.