dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, official Cubs announcement awaits.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Chicago Cubs have reportedly signed RHP Carlos Villanueva. It's likely a 1-year deal, but terms of the deal were undisclosed. The Cubs have not announced the deal, so don't put it as a 'down' signing until they do. But I do think the deal does get done, for once.

Villanueva is a 29-year old RHP, who's expected to come into camp as a starter. He played for the Toronto Blue Jays last year and was in the bullpen. He was considered their 'swingman'. As he would start if needed and if he didn't start, he would be the long-relief out of the bullpen. The name may sound familiar because he was originally with the Milwaukee Brewers when he came to the majors.

In 2012 as a SP and a RP, Villnaueva went 7-7 with a 4.16 earn run average in 125.1 innings. He also walked 46 and struck out 122. That's what the Cubs need, pitchers who throw strikes and Villnaueva's walk to K ratio looks good.

Villnaueva isn't the flash signing for a ballclub, but he's a good signing. A nice guy who can came in on a low risk basis and shine.

As of right now, the Cubs have 6 starters ... Matt Garza, Jeff Samardzija, Scott Feldman, Scott Baker, Travis Wood and now Carlos Villnaueva. The Cubs have great depth and that's what you want to see in a team. If and when Baker is ready for action, I see Wood being the long relief out of the bullpen. Barring any changes, which is not out of question.

Jon Heyman of Cbssports.com reported the Villnaueva signing and also says the Cubs are still in on SP Edwin Jackson. I don't know if the Cubs will sign him, but there's not much competition for him. Yesterday there was a report saying the Cubs and Rangers were the final suitors for Jackson. The Padres dropped out because they didn't want to go to 4 years. Also, Ken Rosenthal of Foxsports.com said he didn't expect the Rangers to sign Jackson. So, you never know and time will only tell.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2012/12/19/chicago-cubs-sign-carlos-villanueva/

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I have no idea why, but something in my "malfunctioning" brain says he could have a surprise year as a starter and throw 200 Innings (something he's never sniffed before). I don't know why I like him, but the few times I watched him pitch, he was really good.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

Carlos Vlllanueva agreement with cubs is $10M for 2 yrs. nice add for chicago.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

Carlos Vlllanueva agreement with cubs is $10M for 2 yrs. nice add for chicago.

This year's Paul Maholm signing. Hope the AL-->NL shift helps him figure out his stuff.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

:lol:

He's had some small arm issues before (what pitcher hasn't) and is looking to show he can be productive on a short-term contract while in a situation where he can get lots of opportunities to start. He also has a two-year deal which allows whichever team he's flipped to to get a compensation pick if they so chose, or at least that extra year of control, which is valuable in a trade even if it won't bump up the return too significantly.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
:lol:

He's had some small arm issues before (what pitcher hasn't) and is looking to show he can be productive on a short-term contract while in a situation where he can get lots of opportunities to start. He also has a two-year deal which allows whichever team he's flipped to to get a compensation pick if they so chose, or at least that extra year of control, which is valuable in a trade even if it won't bump up the return too significantly.

I was just busting your balls because on here and twitter every cubs move is a "paul mahalom like deal"

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was just busting your balls because on here and twitter every cubs move is a "paul mahalom like deal"

It's the unfortunate nature of the beast with this rebuilding club. The Edwin Jackson deal was a surprise as was the Anibal Sanchez thing was a pure WTF for me.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
hCB364053

The other reason they signed Villanueva.

#totallynotracist