Cubs sign Dontrelle Willis

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
We crushed this guy game 4 of the 2003 NLCS. He's no good. Best case scenario it's a Paul Maholm type deal.

And THAT is exactly what it is. But at a small fraction of the cost.
No this is not a Paul Maholm type deal. This is what every team around baseball does which is give no risk deals to guys with a tiny fraction of upside. Dontrelle Willis is not going to start in Iowa I would guess, but probably will be in the bullpen given that Iowa will probably feature Struck, Raley, Rusin, Loux, and Cabrera.

Paul Maholm was a guy coming off a successful season but was hurt at the end of it. He was good enough to get a guaranteed major league deal with a club option. The parallels between these moves is minimal at best.
He's done. I watched him pitch when he was with the Diamondbacks a couple of years ago fast ball was around 83mph and couldnt get the ball over the plate. He's a has been.
He is very, very unlikely to make any impact on the major league roster this year.

Love it! That's all I can say.
It is nice for the warm memories about the kid in the minors since that was around the time that I began to seriously follow what was going in the farm, but a part from that it is the definition of a meh move.

He's not even getting a guaranteed invite to big league spring training. This isn't a big deal. If it works, jazz hands. If not, oh well.
And this is where we come to real meat of the discussion. The D-Train that could have signed with any team choose to come to the Cubs on a minor league deal without an invite to spring training. No team in baseball thought it was worthwhile to just guarantee him time in spring training. So it is fun story because hey we know the name of this guy and one time he was a Cubs farmhand, but this is probably the most discussion we will have Willis this entire year.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah Dab that's all I meant. Will he do anything next season? Prolly not, but it's nice to have him backj. I always loved Willis and I wish him well. I wish he did come to the majors and actually pitch good. I guess it's just like the Cubs acquring Stanton.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah Dab that's all I meant. Will he do anything next season? Prolly not, but it's nice to have him backj. I always loved Willis and I wish him well. I wish he did come to the majors and actually pitch good. I guess it's just like the Cubs acquring Stanton.

Oh he has always seemed like a great guy, and it is easy to root for him. If he regained any command and stuff he could be a useful LOOGY with that funky delivery, but the odds of that are extremely low in everyone's eyes.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah it is. His Twitter feed says he's been working very hard on his stuff. All of last season and in the early stages of this off-season. Since he had a lot of time on his hand as he was retired. But he realized he wanted to come back and started working hard. I hope he does pitch good and maybe be can at least see him in September.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was being sarcastic about the Paul Maholm type deal. I really really don't see Willis getting anywhere near the majors

Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was being sarcastic about the Paul Maholm type deal. I really really don't see Willis getting anywhere near the majors

[video=youtube;a5-TplqUUiU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5-TplqUUiU[/video]

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
He probably won't even make the team....

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Muskat:

On Friday, Willis made his return public on his Twitter account, @D_Train35. He tweeted: “Thanks For The Cubs Givin Me Another Opportunity To Keep Playin Ball … I’m Gonna Give It My All Hopefully Have Another Blessed Year.” Willis said he’s been working hard this offseason to get in shape “after a couple tough years,” and says “I’m Ready To Compete 100% In ’13 N Be A Bulldog Again.”

Best of luck to him.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Last report I read on Willis had him capping out at 86 with control issues.

EdEdens12

Liked Posts:
Willis' career coming full circle after being drafted by the Cubs in 2000

IvyPickin87

Sinkin Putts ****in Butts
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was pumped when I heard the news. Not because I think he will make a difference in Chicago, but because likely he will be here in Des Moines. Makes the I-Cubs games this year that much more interesting. Hopefully the guy returns to Train Mode and makes the Cubs look brilliant. But who am I kidding bet he retires again by the end of spring training. The cubs never strike gold in washed up-rebound players.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was pumped when I heard the news. Not because I think he will make a difference in Chicago, but because likely he will be here in Des Moines. Makes the I-Cubs games this year that much more interesting. Hopefully the guy returns to Train Mode and makes the Cubs look brilliant. But who am I kidding bet he retires again by the end of spring training. The cubs never strike gold in washed up-rebound players.

I think he has better odds of pulling a Rick Ankiel than coming back as a pitcher.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:

define washed up rebound players. Maholm was a rebound player. Dempster was too.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
The bottom line is this is a guy who hasn't posted an ERA below 4.98 since 2006.

More great building for the future with building blocks

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
You're a fuckin' dumb ass! Stop posting! Everything you post is complete non-sense. If you keep posting, keep your stupidity in one thread.

No one said he'll do anything and the Cubs know that too. You always need depth in the minors and this is most likely what this is. Hopefully we'll see him in September because that'll be awesome.

Last edited:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
As this thread has devolved into namecalling, it will be locked and you can all take this to private messages. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.