Cubs Sign Edwin Jackson

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Spending money is what is significant. Hopefully it works out. He is certainly an upgrade over the current options. If he regains form he had a few years ago this could be a steal. Like any pitcher deal his arm could blow up and it be a huge bust. Most likely it would be in the middle with a guy slightly overpaid to eat innings.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
My guess he goes to the Rangers. He has a chance to win and I don't know if the Cubs are really willing to offer him a 4-year contract. The Rangers need to do something losing out on Greinke and Hamilton (I know he's not a SP, but still.).

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
My guess he goes to the Rangers. He has a chance to win and I don't know if the Cubs are really willing to offer him a 4-year contract. The Rangers need to do something losing out on Greinke and Hamilton (I know he's not a SP, but still.).
Reading the tea leaves seems to indicate that the Cubs have gone 4 years. Only thing that would make EJax pick the Cubs over the Rangers is if he prefers to be in the NL for some reason and or Cubs offer more money.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
First thought: Edwin Jackson?
Second thought: Ehhhhh why not.
Third thought: Edwin Jackson?

Rinse. Repeat.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I would be fine with the signing, but I just don't want the Cubs to overpay for him.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I would be fine with the signing, but I just don't want the Cubs to overpay for him.

If the Cubs followed that model, they'd never get any good players again. Part of the rebuilding mode.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Cubs followed that model, they'd never get any good players again. Part of the rebuilding mode.

I'm fine if the Cubs overpay on a player, but Jackson is not one. There's a reason he'll be joining his 8th team in his career. The Cubs were gunna overpay for Sanchez and I was fine with that. I think he's looking at 4 years at 48 million.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Didn't realize how many stops this guy has made. Dodgers, Rays, Tigers, Diamondbacks, White Sox, Cardinals, Nationals.

I'd welcome him to the team but I'm not gonna get too worked up about it.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I won't complain too much if the Cubs signed him, but I sincerely hope the Rangers win this one :lol:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
This is the kind of veteran we need going forward.. don't know why waldo and Rice don't want him.

Historically effective and not too old, eats enough innings to take pressure off young guys and should still be good by the time we are ready to compete.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
This is the kind of veteran we need going forward.. don't know why waldo and Rice don't want him.

Historically effective and not too old, eats enough innings to take pressure off young guys and should still be good by the time we are ready to compete.

There's a fine line between "not wanting him" and "not being excited about him for the years/dollars"

He's erratic, he gets wild in the zone and out of the zone, he can put together stretches of dominance and then he can completely fall apart for stretches. He'll eat innings poorly. He gets smacked around sometimes. He's never been offered a multi year deal despite the obvious good stuff. He's actually not as good as Anibal Sanchez.

I mean, he's a 4/5 right now, even though he has 2/3 stuff. Would he hamstring the Cubs for years to come with a mega deal? No. Can he figure something out here and prove to be valuable for years to come? Yeah. That doesn't mean we should be throwing out the rose petals for him.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm cautiously ambivalent about Edwin Jackson.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Edwin Jackson Recipe

Ingredients
1/2 cup talent
2 teaspoons stuff
4 pitches
1 cup wildness
1 cup ineffectiveness
1 teaspoon brilliance
1/8 teaspoon control
1 teaspoon command

Pour the talent and the stuff into a bowl. Mix with a stick haphazardly. Throw in 4 pitches, add a cup of wildness, stir with egg beater. Add a cup of ineffectiveness with a pinch of despair, get ready to give up on the mixture.

Give the mixture to another person

You, add a pinch of brilliance, a dash of control, and a touch of command. Mix. Become excited. Put in oven that you forgot to preheat. Deal with it.

Somehow comes out as sponge cake. Serves 1 team per year.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
EJax stats:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jacksed01.shtml

cm-32621-050b000959484c.gif

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Edwin Jackson Recipe

Ingredients
1/2 cup talent
2 teaspoons stuff
4 pitches
1 cup wildness
1 cup ineffectiveness
1 teaspoon brilliance
1/8 teaspoon control
1 teaspoon command

Pour the talent and the stuff into a bowl. Mix with a stick haphazardly. Throw in 4 pitches, add a cup of wildness, stir with egg beater. Add a cup of ineffectiveness with a pinch of despair, get ready to give up on the mixture.

Give the mixture to another person

You, add a pinch of brilliance, a dash of control, and a touch of command. Mix. Become excited. Put in oven that you forgot to preheat. Deal with it.

Somehow comes out as sponge cake. Serves 1 team per year.

baseball post of the year :clap:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's a fine line between "not wanting him" and "not being excited about him for the years/dollars"

He's erratic, he gets wild in the zone and out of the zone, he can put together stretches of dominance and then he can completely fall apart for stretches. He'll eat innings poorly. He gets smacked around sometimes. He's never been offered a multi year deal despite the obvious good stuff. He's actually not as good as Anibal Sanchez.

I mean, he's a 4/5 right now, even though he has 2/3 stuff. Would he hamstring the Cubs for years to come with a mega deal? No. Can he figure something out here and prove to be valuable for years to come? Yeah. That doesn't mean we should be throwing out the rose petals for him.

perfectly said. :clap:

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I would take Jackson, but not if you have to overpay for him. That's it.