Cubs Sign Nick Schierholtz - one year, $2.25MM

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ah, he's also arb eligible for the final time next season so the Cubs could keep him around if they wanted to...or actually get slightly more back due to that extra year of cost control in trade. Solid-ish signing.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
So you think they slot DeJesus to CF?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
To elaborate...I think Schierholtz made about what Reed Johnson made last season, however Reed was signed as a free agent and expected to be a bench guy whereas Schierholtz was arb eligible (I think for the first time) and expected to play a bit more. If they're paying him about double what he made last season, then the Cubs are expecting Schierholtz to play almost every day. Since he doesn't normally play CF (very sparingly in the majors) and they haven't traded Soriano yet, the best thing to do is stick him in RF and slot DeJesus to CF since David can handle the position better.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
To elaborate...I think Schierholtz made about what Reed Johnson made last season, however Reed was signed as a free agent and expected to be a bench guy whereas Schierholtz was arb eligible (I think for the first time) and expected to play a bit more. If they're paying him about double what he made last season, then the Cubs are expecting Schierholtz to play almost every day. Since he doesn't normally play CF (very sparingly in the majors) and they haven't traded Soriano yet, the best thing to do is stick him in RF and slot DeJesus to CF since David can handle the position better.

I always thought DeJesus had enough range to handle CF and Wrigley is a bit kinder to CFers than other parks IMO.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Via Wendy Thurm:

Dear Cubs fans: Please take good care of Nate Schierholtz. Especially his 6-pack abs. Thanks.

and then

Dear Cubs fans: Also, remember to appreciate Nate Schierholtz's throwing arm. Especially after he strikes out on a ball that nearly hits him

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, Nate has some issues. But I think he'll be fine. For that price it's not like he's expected to be White Willie Mays.

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
Found this cool little video of him on another forum:

[video=youtube;L5KG9h8S13Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5KG9h8S13Y[/video]

Cannon is an understatement.

Reactions: X

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've seen that video, it's tons of fun :D

The defense isn't really the issue, it's more whether he can produce on offense on a consistent basis. That will allow the Cubs to flip him for something better. It won't be much, just "better".

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
goodnight, what an arm.

Honestly, that's the kind of signing we need for next season, and possibly the following season. We're not going to score 5 runs/game, so our defense better be solid (right, Starlin?). Having some good arms and decent speed in the outfield can't hurt.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
goodnight, what an arm.

Honestly, that's the kind of signing we need for next season, and possibly the following season. We're not going to score 5 runs/game, so our defense better be solid (right, Starlin?). Having some good arms and decent speed in the outfield can't hurt.

I think that's the goal. Try to be somewhat respectable even if you can't score runs. Keep the ball on the ground or at least in the ball park, trust the defense to prevent runs, and hope to squeeze out some one-run victories.

schizm032003

Liked Posts:
I like the signing of this guy. He's never really been a full time starter from what I can find, but he can hit a little, has some power, and his defense is pretty good. I'd love a team full of guys that play hard, use good fundamantals, and play with some smarts, it could be we could squeeze a couple more wins outta this team next season with another addition at 3B that's at least viable. We won't win the division, but a decent season with a few more wins, playing hard to the end can give us a better look at where we could be going into the season following.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
another chump to fill spot why Cubs going cheap. He wont matter in 2013 or beyond

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
another chump to fill spot why Cubs going cheap. He wont matter in 2013 or beyond

You're right. Cubs should've kept doing things the 100 years prior to Ricketts. That was working out so well... :shifty:

Kleats

Liked Posts:
Found this cool little video of him on another forum:

[video=youtube;L5KG9h8S13Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5KG9h8S13Y[/video]

Cannon is an understatement.
Love the arm -especially love the accuracy with these throws . Accuracy is a lost art . Just wondering how this affects Jackson tho cuz if DeJesus is playing CF how does Jackson develop ?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Love the arm -especially love the accuracy with these throws . Accuracy is a lost art . Just wondering how this affects Jackson tho cuz if DeJesus is playing CF how does Jackson develop ?

I assume Jackson stays in AAA until he proves he doesn't strike out 50% of the time. By that time, DeJesus and Schierholtz will probably be traded and then they'll give Jackson another try.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:

Center Field Options - David DeJesus is likely to be pushed to center as a result of this move which sets up an interesting possible rotation in the OF. The Cubs have said that Brett Jackson will start the year at AAA, which is the right move. There are rumors swirling that Jackson has changed his swing which he hopes will cut into his K rate. If the Cubs are unable to move Soriano prior to Opening Day it is possible that both Dave Sappelt and Tony Campana see burn at CF with Soriano, DeJesus, and Schierholtz all rotating off days and positions. Soriano is a player that will need rest as he transitions into the final stages of his career.

Needless to say, this is the best opportunity Brett Jackson is going to have at becoming a Major League regular.

via me.

Kleats

Liked Posts:
Yea I guess it's the right move . Better to have the guy ready when he does come full time so he can have consistent success and avoid the Gordon Beckham syndrome .

But if I was B.J. I'd still be pizzed ( sort of ) .