Cubs sign Trevor Cahill to minor league deal

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Ever since his hip got messed up in 2013, he hasn't been the same. Before then he was sensational.

Possible future bullpen piece if he works out. I expect the cubs to lose one or more of several arms coming up in FA; Haren, Richard, Hunter, Motte, Coke (is he even on the team anymore? according to Cots he is) Soriano, and I'm sure I'm missing one or two are up after this year. A likely addition/replacement.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Ever since his hip got messed up in 2013, he hasn't been the same. Before then he was sensational.

Possible future bullpen piece if he works out. I expect the cubs to lose one or more of several arms coming up in FA; Haren, Richard, Hunter, Motte, Coke (is he even on the team anymore? according to Cots he is) Soriano, and I'm sure I'm missing one or two. A likely addition/replacement.

They released Coke. As for arms, I imagine they will mostly replace internally. Edwards probably will work in the bullpen to start given how they've approached him this season. Also wouldn't shock me to see Black in the near future there.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The real question is if he any good anymore or just a innings eater.

I don't like it as it signifies the old way of running the business. They need to stop acting like they are poor.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The real question is if he any good anymore or just a innings eater.

I don't like it as it signifies the old way of running the business. They need to stop acting like they are poor.

Wow do I disagree with this. I love that they keep signing arms to see if they'll stick. It's cost effective and you never know when you'll uncover a diamond in the rough. In the end what does it hurt?

aleclere1044

Liked Posts:
Cahill was a strong pitcher, and the point is who else is available that has the experience he can bring to the table?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Wow do I disagree with this. I love that they keep signing arms to see if they'll stick. It's cost effective and you never know when you'll uncover a diamond in the rough. In the end what does it hurt?

It's fine to keep running out arms and hope one sticks, but pretty soon, they are going to need a lockdown guy.

Someone like Kimbrel comes to mind for example, and Grimm and Ramirez with another year under there belt won't hurt, along with Rondon.

Lefties are where they need to spend some money too. Richard, Wood, and Russell aint cuttin' it.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
It's fine to keep running out arms and hope one sticks, but pretty soon, they are going to need a lockdown guy.

Someone like Kimbrel comes to mind for example, and Grimm and Ramirez with another year under there belt won't hurt, along with Rondon.

Lefties are where they need to spend some money too. Richard, Wood, and Russell aint cuttin' it.

Oh, I'm not suggesting that this kind of bargain hunting should supplant actual deal making or signings to make your club better, they've got to do that too and I completely agree a closer or a solid set up guy is needed. My point on the waiver wire, bargain shopping, diamond in the rough stuff is that it's all asset accrual. Arms are valuable. The Cubs are going to have to be very creative on how they accumulate talent over the next several years as they won't have premium draft picks. Picking up guys on minor league contracts is one way to do that. They build depth and could come up to spot a guy for an injury and then, if successful, you deal them or someone else they may supplant. The Cardinals do this by drafting a ton of pitchers, the Cubs are building some pitching depth that way but they aren't close to having that steady stream of arms yet. Picking up 27 year olds with some degree of success in the past to see what they have in the tank seems pretty smart to me.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If they spend heavy it should be on Price. He is a proven product and turns the rotation into a force.

Cahil is another filler. Richard used to be good also. So was Jackson and others of that ilk.

They are all poor man inning fillers.

Losing team answers

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
If they spend heavy it should be on Price. He is a proven product and turns the rotation into a force.

Cahil is another filler. Richard used to be good also. So was Jackson and others of that ilk.

Losing team answers

Richards was a fair to middling BOR guy with the Padres and White Sox for a few years. He fell off a bit and at 31 that makes you pretty unattractive. Still he filled a need when they had one. As far as Cahill, he's a big strong kid who had shown some signs of being a good starting pitcher in Oakland and Arizona and he's 27 years old. Not unlike Jacob Turner this is exactly the kind of guy they should be looking at. Yes, they have to spend money or trade for other TOR types but you have to continue to mine the waiver wire or anywhere else you can find value. Going into a season a team needs to have between 7-9 guys either on the MLB roster or in the minors that can start games. Without the top level prospects the Cubs have to find other ways to fill those spots. they will have to do this for a year or two until some of the lower levels guys are getting close to ready.

This is a completely separate issue from signing or trading for TOR talent. I do think they should go hard after Price, Greinke and Cueto in that order. I would also like them to go back and look at the arms they explored trades for at the deadline. They should see if they make a deal for Tyson Ross, Carlos Carrasco or Julio Teheran or maybe another guy like that. I'd like to see them upgrade from Hammel and Hendricks for 2016. I think Hammel is serviceable and Hendricks might be as good as a #3 someday but next year has to be the push. I wouldn't mine trading either one or both of them. I think it's inevitable that they'll lose Arrieta after 2017 to FA, especially if they sign Price to a $200-$230 million deal. If Arietta continues like this he'll get every bit of that himself in two years. Bring in a Ross or a Carrasco and you mitigate that risk.

Again these are two issues. Who they sign and how they put together a top of the rotation and what kind of depth they build for contingencies for the back end. If you sign Price and trade for Ross you'd be looking at Price, Arrieta, Lester, Ross and Hendricks or Hammel. Behind that you might have Pierce Johnson in AAA and maybe they stretch out Carl Edwards. They'll need two more guys. I'm all for looking in every avenue possible.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Losing team answers

Also known as extremely cheap depth. The cubs had to trade their way out of this problem this year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Also known as extremely cheap depth. The cubs had to trade their way out of this problem this year.

This year I get. Next year no. That is why I worry. Was it just sign Lester to say: We are spending. But in reality they are not willing to step up to the next level.

Arrieta is stepping up into a legit ace. But they are competing against the Dodgers who have 3 TOR they toss out. Even though 1 is injured. Nats have 3 even after Zimm goes F/A. Even the Rangers will look pretty good next year with their top.

Cubs have to look at play off series' and ask them selves do they match up? How about the Cards with Wainwright back?

My opinion is there is a huge drop off after Lester right now. The Cubs can not afford to be in a series that they can not compete.

Adding Trevor signifies that they are just playing to be there vs win it. That is my problem with it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Guess I am on the Price or bust point of view right now. He doesn't have a Q offer going right now. He has connections with Arrieta and Maddon. It is a natural fit as long as the Ricket's are willing to pay the cash.

You run Price, Arrieta and Lester in front of the Cubs engine that is a team to move out of the way of. Shit will get scarry fast. Not to mention the place will be sold out every night...

Tommy should be using that new Toyota partnership to start the Price engine.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
This year I get. Next year no. That is why I worry. Was it just sign Lester to say: We are spending. But in reality they are not willing to step up to the next level.

Arrieta is stepping up into a legit ace. But they are competing against the Dodgers who have 3 TOR they toss out. Even though 1 is injured. Nats have 3 even after Zimm goes F/A. Even the Rangers will look pretty good next year with their top.

Cubs have to look at play off series' and ask them selves do they match up? How about the Cards with Wainwright back?

My opinion is there is a huge drop off after Lester right now. The Cubs can not afford to be in a series that they can not compete.

Adding Trevor signifies that they are just playing to be there vs win it. That is my problem with it.

You need to have depth next year just as much as you need it this year.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Why would you trade long term answers at positions just to try to get a WS this season? Why have a problem with it? They weren't even supposed to make the post-season this year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I never said this season. If you read I was bringing up next year match ups.

I personally believe Grenke will stay a Dodger. Having their 3 back makes them a force. Cards are only going to get better. They are bitten by the injury bug this year and are still dominate. Texas with a 1-2 punch next year. Add they still have A decent 3 coming off injury.

Pitching depth is where it is at and the top teams are 3 deep. The Cubs can not compete with a half ass #3 answer. And that is what is happening right now

Is it fixable now? No. I accept that and I expect a first round knock out as they are not going to match up with these teams as is.

This is about next year and putting some fear out there. The bats are going to mature but there is no in house answer that matches what Price brings.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Even with all that said. What I've read is Trevor's preferals early on pointed to luck vs being that good. It just caught up to him.

Where he is at is for a reason.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I never said this season. If you read I was bringing up next year match ups.

I personally believe Grenke will stay a Dodger. Having their 3 back makes them a force. Cards are only going to get better. They are bitten by the injury bug this year and are still dominate. Texas with a 1-2 punch next year. Add they still have A decent 3 coming off injury.

Pitching depth is where it is at and the top teams are 3 deep. The Cubs can not compete with a half ass #3 answer. And that is what is happening right now

Is it fixable now? No. I accept that and I expect a first round knock out as they are not going to match up with these teams as is.

This is about next year and putting some fear out there. The bats are going to mature but there is no in house answer that matches what Price brings.

I want Price too but the likelihood of him signing in Chicago isn't high. The Dodgers and Yankees are going to go hard after him and a bidding war could push him to $230 mil or more. I wouldn't discount Boston in that race either as Dombrowski spent the season negotiating with Price's agent and probably has a good idea what he wants. He wasn't able to get it done in Detroit but now he's playing with a different owner's money. I think the Cubs will get one of the big three but I suspect it will be Greinke or Cueto for around $200 mil. I see them spending money, i don't see them setting the market.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I want Price too but the likelihood of him signing in Chicago isn't high. The Dodgers and Yankees are going to go hard after him and a bidding war could push him to $230 mil or more. I wouldn't discount Boston in that race either as Dombrowski spent the season negotiating with Price's agent and probably has a good idea what he wants. He wasn't able to get it done in Detroit but now he's playing with a different owner's money. I think the Cubs will get one of the big three but I suspect it will be Greinke or Cueto for around $200 mil. I see them spending money, i don't see them setting the market.

The good news for the Cubs is they are on the uptick whereas Boston is not. The Yankees will free up money and be a big player, but they are not the youngest team in the world either.

The Dodgers? They will have trouble enough re-signing Grienke, let alone landing Price too. I doubt they get both.

The Cubs will be higher than people think as the chances of getting Price. Cueto is still out there too.

I still think a huge trade is coming for the Cubs this off-season. I would expect that they will go for a young pitcher as the Cubs need someone in the 24-25 year range that is stud potential.

Not saying DeGrom, Syndergaard or anyone form the Mets, but something in that area.