Cubs sign Trevor Cahill to minor league deal

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I see the Dodgers spending to retain Grenke. Cueto would be the back up option. They are not going to go 3 lefties at the top.

Cubs have 2 connections with Price. Arrieta and Maddon. That said they will have to offer what max got. Even if it is structured the same way.

I believe they are the favorite. Team going in the right direction and a big market

CSF77

Liked Posts:
As a back up plan they need a upgrade to Hammel as a 3. That is the bottom line.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
As a back up plan they need a upgrade to Hammel as a 3. That is the bottom line.

Well a TOR pushes everyone back a notch, and I can live with Hendricks at the #5 for now. He is just a bridge IMO until Edwards, Johnson, or any other arms that start to develop from the system, and provides good rotational depth.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The good news for the Cubs is they are on the uptick whereas Boston is not. The Yankees will free up money and be a big player, but they are not the youngest team in the world either.

The Dodgers? They will have trouble enough re-signing Grienke, let alone landing Price too. I doubt they get both.

The Cubs will be higher than people think as the chances of getting Price. Cueto is still out there too.

I still think a huge trade is coming for the Cubs this off-season. I would expect that they will go for a young pitcher as the Cubs need someone in the 24-25 year range that is stud potential.

Not saying DeGrom, Syndergaard or anyone form the Mets, but something in that area.

I agree on the trade. I think Carrasco makes some sense and Teheran might too. I'm not optimistic on Price and I would not discount Boston. Dombrowski was hired to win now and they have the money and trade chips to do it. There aren't a lot of signs pointing to Greinke staying in LA either. I expect him to go up the coast to SF.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want Price too but the likelihood of him signing in Chicago isn't high. The Dodgers and Yankees are going to go hard after him and a bidding war could push him to $230 mil or more. I wouldn't discount Boston in that race either as Dombrowski spent the season negotiating with Price's agent and probably has a good idea what he wants. He wasn't able to get it done in Detroit but now he's playing with a different owner's money. I think the Cubs will get one of the big three but I suspect it will be Greinke or Cueto for around $200 mil. I see them spending money, i don't see them setting the market.

Didn't Price say he wouldn't play for the Yankees because he would shave his beard? Or did he get over that?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Didn't Price say he wouldn't play for the Yankees because he would shave his beard? Or did he get over that?

I remember that. He may get $230 million reasons to change his mind though...

I think Boston is going to take a hard run though. They probably need 3 pitchers to contend next year and Dombowski has allegedly been given the money to win in a hurry.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I was going to start a thread last night basically suggesting I'm not that convinced the cubs even try to sign a top tier SP in FA this offseason but I sorta fizzled out half way thru it and went to bed. The short version is the cubs will probably have around $130 mil in payroll if you assume a bump in tv money. They have around $80 mil committed. I assume they will have around $15 mil in arbitration excluding Arrieta who I imagine they will try to sign long term. He's likely to get between $10-15 mil in arb anyways so that only leaves around $20 mil in money left over and you still have to figure out what to do in CF with Fowler. I imagine top tier starters will go for around $26.5 mil/season.

So, unless ownership pulls the "we have the money when we need it" card it seems unlikely a top starter fits in the budget. Plus there's the matter of what they tried to do at the deadline by trading for cost controlled arms. And then you also likely have to factor in where you play Pierce Johnson and Edwards. Johnson has been fantastic in AA. He might need some more innings in the AFL after missing some time but you can easily see him starting in AAA next season and getting a midseason call up if things go well. Edwards is probably going to work out the bullpen given how they've approached him this season but they might work him in as a starter over the next couple years.

As such, to me I imagine they will either try to continue the cost controlled trade approach or they will go after more of the mid-tier starter market and get someone more in the 3-4 year range. And honestly, I'm not sure that's a bad thing. The cubs are 5th in starter ERA this year and that's with having a revolving door as their 5th.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I was going to start a thread last night basically suggesting I'm not that convinced the cubs even try to sign a top tier SP in FA this offseason but I sorta fizzled out half way thru it and went to bed. The short version is the cubs will probably have around $130 mil in payroll if you assume a bump in tv money. They have around $80 mil committed. I assume they will have around $15 mil in arbitration excluding Arrieta who I imagine they will try to sign long term. He's likely to get between $10-15 mil in arb anyways so that only leaves around $20 mil in money left over and you still have to figure out what to do in CF with Fowler. I imagine top tier starters will go for around $26.5 mil/season.

So, unless ownership pulls the "we have the money when we need it" card it seems unlikely a top starter fits in the budget. Plus there's the matter of what they tried to do at the deadline by trading for cost controlled arms. And then you also likely have to factor in where you play Pierce Johnson and Edwards. Johnson has been fantastic in AA. He might need some more innings in the AFL after missing some time but you can easily see him starting in AAA next season and getting a midseason call up if things go well. Edwards is probably going to work out the bullpen given how they've approached him this season but they might work him in as a starter over the next couple years.

As such, to me I imagine they will either try to continue the cost controlled trade approach or they will go after more of the mid-tier starter market and get someone more in the 3-4 year range. And honestly, I'm not sure that's a bad thing. The cubs are 5th in starter ERA this year and that's with having a revolving door as their 5th.

$82.010 covers 7 players. Arb cases: Wood (cut), Wada (cut), Arrieta (extend), Strop (pay him), Coghlan (pay him), Turner (cut), Herrera (cut), Rondon (pay him), Grimm (pay him).

League min guys: Ramirez, Schwarber, Russell, Bryant, LaStella, Hendricks, Alcantara, Baez, Edwards, Rosscup.

In reality they have plenty of farm depth going on right now to cut some payroll here and there. I'm thinking they pay Arrieta 10 mil next year,m Coghlan 3 mil and Rondon makes 3 mil in arb. Grimm gets 2 and Strop 2.7 mil. 21 mil here.

9 guys they can put on the roster that add up to aprox 4.5 mil.

That puts payroll at 107.5 mil. with 21 roster spots filled.

Now that leaves CF open. I would like them give it to Alcantara or trade for one that has low cost. Baez would be fun if he went back to his H.S. position. I'm pretty open to Castro at 2B and Baez in CF to be honest with Coghland, LaStella and Alcantara on the bench. Makes the bench versatile.

Now on a model for Price's contract:

Max Scherzer rhp

7 years/$210M (2015-21)
signed by Washington as a free agent 1/21/15

$50M signing bonus:
$5M in 2015 and $15M each in 2019, 2020, 2021
payments in equal semiannual installments, April-September

salaries: 15:$10M, 16-18:$15M annually. 19-21:$35M annually
2019-21 salaries ($105M) deferred without interest, to be paid in seven $15M installments each July 1 from 2022 to 2028
105 mil.
So he is getting paid until 2028. For the first 4 years he will be making 55 mil. next 3 105 mil. At that point his time is up. But the Nats will still be paying him for the next 7 years after the deal is over at 15 mil per. Or basically what a quality #4 starter makes. If you have a deep farm filled with pitching depth that blow is lessened.

Now the Cubs are getting cost savings from the farm so something like this is something to mil over. I would front load it more.

If you look at the Schzer deal it is in reality 305 mil that he will make off of the Nats over the term of the deal. Including deferred and bonus cash. So that is where we are at on it.