CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
This isn't a lament thread, but I saw a beckdawg post mentioning Pagan, so it got me thinking about the MLB talent that has been in a Cubs uniform as a young player and left to have nice careers elsewhere. I'm thinking of Angel Pagan, DJ LaMaheiu, etc. I wouldn't include Chris Archer as he never dressed at Wrigley, IINM. Who else?

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
This isn't a lament thread, but I saw a beckdawg post mentioning Pagan, so it got me thinking about the MLB talent that has been in a Cubs uniform as a young player and left to have nice careers elsewhere. I'm thinking of Angel Pagan, DJ LaMaheiu, etc. I wouldn't include Chris Archer as he never dressed at Wrigley, IINM. Who else?

Ummm! Lou Brock? Kenny Holtzman? Joe Carter? Rafael Palmiero?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Josh Donaldson but I guess that doesn't count he was traded a minor leaguer.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
DJ LeMahieu and Angel Pagan would be bench players right now, at best. Or worse they would be starting and they would have drafted someone else

Archer, Donaldson, Josh Hamilton fit the thread

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Josh Donaldson but I guess that doesn't count he was traded a minor leaguer.
That's right. That's why I didn't count Archer or Hamilton either. Surely there are more than the two I named.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
DJ LeMahieu and Angel Pagan would be bench players right now, at best. Or worse they would be starting and they would have drafted someone else

LeMahieu would not be a bench player. Gold glove D with a solid bat.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
LeMahieu would be a bench player? He's an All-Star. Pagan is a WS starting CF.

Yes, very talented, but they don't fit the criteria I set, as none dressed in a Cubs uni at Wrigley as an MLBer.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
That's right. That's why I didn't count Archer or Hamilton either. Surely there are more than the two I named.

Not if you are talking about the drafting while Hendry was in charge.

I don't think I have ever seen so many whiffs in a draft during his tenure in my life.

You are getting down to skimps if you have to throw people like Casey McGeehee on this thread. Sad really.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
LeMahieu would be a bench player? He's an All-Star. Pagan is a WS starting CF.

Yes, very talented, but they don't fit the criteria I set, as none dressed in a Cubs uni at Wrigley as an MLBer.

Big deal. A lot of average/below average players have started for a WS winner. Pagan has had a negative dWAR the past 5 seasons, and a below/very average bat. Sure he's had a solid career but he's no body worth lamenting about. His wins above average have been negative 3 of the past 5 seasons.

Up until this season LeMahieu's road/home splits have been horrendous

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
LeMahieu would not be a bench player. Gold glove D with a solid bat.

He's still more of a second division starter honestly. He's got 5 HRs right now. I mean there's two ways to view this year. One is that this is his peak potential level which may or may not continue. The other is that he has more than he's showing. I find it some what difficult to believe there's more in his tank than what he's showing. If we view his year this year as his peak, he's roughly an average hitter with his present 104 wRC+ and his career wRC+ is much lower at 78. As for his glove, it's definitely good but 9.1 UZR/150 puts him more at the step right below gold glove.

And there in lies the problem. If you're hoping to be a playoff/WS team you want a better upgrade at 2B as a hitter. Obviously he's not a terrible guy to have but he's probably more valuable to a rebuilding team than a playoff team.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Not if you are talking about the drafting while Hendry was in charge.

I don't think I have ever seen so many whiffs in a draft during his tenure in my life.

You are getting down to skimps if you have to throw people like Casey McGeehee on this thread. Sad really.
Yep. That's the type of stuff I'm looking for out of this. The Pattersons didn't have long careers, Pie didn't last, etc. So far only DJ and Angel fit the mold from the names all mentioned. It's a pretty thin list.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Big deal. A lot of average/below average players have started for a WS winner. Pagan has had a negative dWAR the past 5 seasons, and a below/very average bat. Sure he's had a solid career but he's no body worth lamenting about. His wins above average have been negative 3 of the past 5 seasons.

Up until this season LeMahieu's road/home splits have been horrendous
Well that's good, because the first sentence in the OP states "This is not a lament thread." :D

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's still more of a second division starter honestly. He's got 5 HRs right now. I mean there's two ways to view this year. One is that this is his peak potential level which may or may not continue. The other is that he has more than he's showing. I find it some what difficult to believe there's more in his tank than what he's showing. If we view his year this year as his peak, he's roughly an average hitter with his present 104 wRC+ and his career wRC+ is much lower at 78. As for his glove, it's definitely good but 9.1 UZR/150 puts him more at the step right below gold glove.

And there in lies the problem. If you're hoping to be a playoff/WS team you want a better upgrade at 2B as a hitter. Obviously he's not a terrible guy to have but he's probably more valuable to a rebuilding team than a playoff team.

106 OPS+, .377 OBP, 18 SB, 3 CS. 2.6 fWAR at the age of 26. Im sure he has nothing left in the tank. 7th in the league in WAR at second. Ahead of guys such as Altuve, Robinson Cano, Daniel Murphy, Brandon Phillips etc. etc. .991 FP.

Well, we better get Addison Russell off the team if we want to make the playoffs. His 1.6 fWar won't cut it.

He would start on this team.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

None of them played for the Cubs and Hamilton was drafted strictly to be traded.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:

Dontrelle Willis

:smug2:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Aramis Ramirez? Went unsigned so perhaps he would not count.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Aramis Ramirez? Went unsigned so perhaps he would not count.
They didn't miss out on his talent for the better part of his career. IOW, in the spirit of the thread, the Cubs had him during his most productive years.