Cubs vs Cards 6/26-6/28

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Fuck the cardinals.......

Need TOR pitching. Stop throwing processed shit against the wall, Theo.

Spend and get the guy this winter or by trade. Division is wide open right now.

"We know we have to add starting depth," Hoyer said. "We'll see where we are as we get closer to the Deadline. You can't make someone available. That's why I think it'll be a Deadline where we have to try to be creative and think through different avenues."
When Spring Training began, the Cubs felt they had plenty of depth, counting Eric Jokisch, Dallas Beeler, Felix Doubront and Jacob Turner as options. But Jokisch and Beeler have battled injuries this season, Turner is on the 60-day disabled list and recently had a setback, and Doubront was released.
It also didn't help that Kyle Hendricks went five innings on Wednesday and Jon Lester lasted four innings on Thursday. The short outings have put a burden on the bullpen.
"We need to get more length [from the starters]," Hoyer said. "The quality the last few days -- except for Jake [Arrieta on Friday] -- hasn't been there."
Did the Cubs not prepare enough this offseason?
"Was it a miscalculation? I guess you could say it was," Hoyer said. "Turner was hurt, Beeler and Jokisch at different times have been hurt, [Minor Leaguer Pierce] Johnson's been hurt. It's taken away from an area that we thought would have some depth."
The past three seasons, the Cubs have been sellers at the Trade Deadline. This year, they could be buyers.
"As much as we're building for the future, you don't know what's going to happen in the future; you know what's going to happen now," Hoyer said. "You don't want to do anything that you'll look back on and say was hasty, but you don't only want to look to the future and ignore that this has been a fun season with a lot of positives and can we improve some of the weaknesses we have to keep that going."
The Cubs will debate how long to hang onto some of the talent in their Minor League system, which has improved with the Draft and moves over the last few years.
"There's a chance this is one of the tightest markets we'll ever see," Hoyer said. "A lot of teams will have to be creative because there aren't going to be a lot of sellers. We keep assuming the next four or five weeks will shake some of that out, but it may not."
On the link. They know it but the market has not developed yet.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think I'm throwing my lot on Mat Latos. He should come cheap given his ERA is high and he's a FA after the season. FIP suggests he's pitched better than his ERA shows as with his other numbers. Probably could get him for similar prices to what Justin Masterson was traded for. He went for James Ramsey who was a 50 grade prospect. Given Miami's lack of young 3B someone like Jeimer Candelario or Christian Villanueva would fit that bill. They only have one 3B in their top 30 prospects at 25. If that is indeed the going price(even slightly more) Latos has #2 upside and is only 27.

Barring some kind of incredible opportunity for Sale or Gray I don't think you're going to find a better value. If they can get Latos going like he pitched in SD/Cincy you've just solved your issue and then you re-sign him for the cost of guys who might be roster crunch as both Jeimer and Villanueva have to be on the 40 man or they are rule 5 eligible after the season.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
As long as it is 3:1 Ground vs air it should not be a issue. He elevates then it woll be a long night. Or a short one for me cause I'll tune the game out.

Roach got a lot of ground balls. That was a good sign. Though he didn't last long, in fairness, he did OK. A few ground balls were just in the wrong spot and got through. One to Russell was thrown away. Another past Castro was a ball that simply has to be played, and wasn't. That is what kills the Cubs.

Then when there were balls to the outfield, Fowler chased them at the wrong angles, then slowly trotted after them. That guy is also killing us.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Things unraveled when he miss the catch. Wood was by far worse.

On Latos I am not against it. He will be a F/A. The Cubs would not get anything in Draft picks. So it would be them losing talent on a gamble.

If it is me I would have to talk to his agent to see if he would sign on long term after the trade. Then give Miami higher value than they would get by taking the pick. So we are talking a #30-40 quality talent.

Torres would be fair compensation. Deep spot for the Cubs and his talent may end up top 100 soon.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But they are activating Ramiez today. Wada is feeling better so I'm expecting Roach demoted and forgotten

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Wada may be feeling better, but he doesn't pitch enough innings to be a plus. He doesn't pitch badly. He just doesn't go deep enough to be a plus.

Ramirez will be a welcome addition.

But we need depth, so I still look forward to seeing what Jed does in July.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Things unraveled when he miss the catch. Wood was by far worse.

On Latos I am not against it. He will be a F/A. The Cubs would not get anything in Draft picks. So it would be them losing talent on a gamble.

If it is me I would have to talk to his agent to see if he would sign on long term after the trade. Then give Miami higher value than they would get by taking the pick. So we are talking a #30-40 quality talent.

Torres would be fair compensation. Deep spot for the Cubs and his talent may end up top 100 soon.

You're assuming Latos wouldn't take the QO. At this point I'm not sure he would get the $15-17 mil a year the QO is likely to be. Miami might not view him as being worth that money. Again to use the Masterson parallel, he was thought of as a possible #2 coming into the season a year(maybe 2) ago and didn't get a QO after having a bad season with a similar age range.

I think Torres is far too much to give up for Latos btw. Torres has a pretty good shot at being a top 50 prospect this time next year. MLB.com already has him at #90. His grades are pretty similar to Daniel Robertson who's presently #53 at SS and was part of the Zobrist deal. Roberson is 3 years older and has marginally better hit/power grades(60/50 vs 55/45) but Torress runs and fields better(40/55/50 vs 50/60/50). Also, Torres is absolutely raking A ball hitting .314/.380/.396 with 1 HR and 10 steals.

Now I suppose you could argue they roll the dice and go with the QO either way but given the other pitching names that are going to be out there I sincerely doubt anyone is going to look at Latos glowingly when you also consider it costing a pick. And for it to be worth him to not take the QO he's going to have to find a deal better than the $15-17 mil it will be which again, I'm not sure will be there. Also, I read earlier that Miami was looking at moving Prado. He's realistically their only decent 3B right now. I'd argue that someone like Villanueva is a great fit for a trade because he's young and a need for them and he's also cheap vs having to go out and find someone in FA of which you have Joaquin Arias, Mike Aviles, Gordon Beckham, Willie Bloomquist, Kevin Frandsen, David Freese, Jonathan Herrera, Maicer Izturis, Don Kelly, Jeff Keppinger, Casey McGehee, Aramis Ramirez, Sean Rodriguez, and Juan Uribe as potential options. I believe Aramis said he was retiring. So if he's gone you're looking at Freese and maybe McGehee as only real starters. I'm not sure whether or not Villanueva is going to be a long term starter either but he plays good defense and has hit a lot better this year. So, I'd take him over most of the names in that list minus maybe Freese.

Perhaps you might need a secondary piece with Villanueva but I can't see them honestly getting much more in return for a guy who's set to be a FA and who has a 5.49 ERA presently. I say that as someone who thinks he's worth the gamble. He was literally just traded this offseason for Anthony DeSclafani and Chad Wallach. Wallach is currently Cincy's #19th best prospect. DeSclafani was their #5 prospect prior to being called up. MLB.com had a 50 grade on him and a 45 on Wallach. So, that's what Cincy got for him with a year of control and without him sporting a 5+ ERA.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Zesty first inning by Hammel. Please God, can we upgrade one of the 4/5 spots and let Schwarber snag time in left and behind the dish?

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol after Rizzo's walk the ESPN guys had to talk about what a brilliant chess move it was by the Cardinals to walk him there

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
..... And we suck again...

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Well that sucked. Hopefully it's a wake up call.