Cubs Waiver Deal Primer

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wrote a little preview for waiver deadline, which is technically August 31st if you want to put a player on the playoff roster.

I figure the Cubs will try to be active, but the players they put up probably won't be claimed. We can dream of a world where the Mets claim Zambrano and we clear his salary.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not a bad article. I can see Fontenot, Nady and Kosuke being claimed. Fontenot and Nady for nothing. While the Cubs pick up salary of Kosuke. In the first sentence, do you mean: MLB teams are not done making deals?

Last edited:

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good catch Waldo, thought I caught everything. Made the change.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I also see Nady, and Fuku claimed.

Idk about Fonty and I highly doubt Z gets claimed

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hendry should just give away Dome if he gets claimed. That $13.5 million cleared for next year would be the best move in a long time for Hendry.

Having said that, nobody wants a mediocre hitting right fielder who can't steal bases and can't hit for much power. Not for $17.5 million.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
Waldo correcting someone instead of someone correcting Waldo? What has the world come to?

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hendry should just give away Dome if he gets claimed. That $13.5 million cleared for next year would be the best move in a long time for Hendry.

Having said that, nobody wants a mediocre hitting right fielder who can't steal bases and can't hit for much power. Not for $17.5 million.

You are taking this completely out of context. It's $17.5 million for a year and two months of him, first off. Next, just because he isn't the best hitter, because he isn't the best base stealer, and because he isn't a power hitter, doesn't mean a whole lot. The guy can take a walk. Getting on base is the name of the game, notice it isn't called HITball, it's called baseball. Also, so what if he can't steal? Steals are overrated.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I wasn't trying to mean, when I was correcting him. I just wanted to see, if that's what he meant.

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are taking this completely out of context. It's $17.5 million for a year and two months of him, first off. Next, just because he isn't the best hitter, because he isn't the best base stealer, and because he isn't a power hitter, doesn't mean a whole lot. The guy can take a walk. Getting on base is the name of the game, notice it isn't called HITball, it's called baseball. Also, so what if he can't steal? Steals are overrated.

$17.5 million for a fourth outfield who can only play one position well?

Fukudome has value, just not worth all that money. The Cubs will eat a good percentage of that deal this winter and ship him somewhere he can get playing time.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
$17.5 million for a fourth outfield who can only play one position well?

Fukudome has value, just not worth all that money. The Cubs will eat a good percentage of that deal this winter and ship him somewhere he can get playing time.

That's just not true at all. Fukudome at worst is a 4th OFer. He would still be playing everyday if Colvin hadn't hit out of his shoes. It's not his fault our OF is the 3rd best in baseball, offensively. I am sure that he can play LF better than he can play right, so that means that he can play all positions, just 2 well.

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What matters now is that Colvin took his job. The Cubs need every penny they can get, can't waste those pennies on a guy sitting on the bench that often. Any money they save moving him is huge right now.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Nady was a complete failure of a signing. Same with Grabow. They had potential, but it didn't pan out unfortunately.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't say that about Nady, he does not play. If he played. it would be a good signing in my opinion.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What matters now is that Colvin took his job. The Cubs need every penny they can get, can't waste those pennies on a guy sitting on the bench that often. Any money they save moving him is huge right now.

I disagree. We signed Fukudome to be our starting RFer. If we played him there this year and last, like we signed him to be, he would easily be worth what we are paying. That is saying something, considering he came over from Japan and we naturally are going to have to over pay.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's just not true at all. Fukudome at worst is a 4th OFer. He would still be playing everyday if Colvin hadn't hit out of his shoes. It's not his fault our OF is the 3rd best in baseball, offensively. I am sure that he can play LF better than he can play right, so that means that he can play all positions, just 2 well.
Not. Even. Close. Also Fukudome can't play LF and I'm appalled that you like Fukudome. He can't steal bases, has little power, and after April he completely bottoms out and becomes useless.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
I disagree. We signed Fukudome to be our starting RFer. If we played him there this year and last, like we signed him to be, he would easily be worth what we are paying. That is saying something, considering he came over from Japan and we naturally are going to have to over pay.
No, just no. Fukudome can't hit lefties and like I said in my post above, after April his numbers plummet and he becomes a liability in the lineup.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
No they aren't. They aren't AT ALL.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Not. Even. Close. Also Fukudome can't play LF and I'm appalled that you like Fukudome. He can't steal bases, has little power, and after April he completely bottoms out and becomes useless.

Kosuke could play LF? I never seen him play LF and the Cubs coaching staff never puts him in left, he's always in RF.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Carlos Zambrano was placed on waivers today. And, no teams is going to put in a claim, if they want to keep there job. :wacko:

Such a surprise, not.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

3rd best in the NL. We are also 5th best in baseball. So I was pretty damn close.

I don't care that Fuku can't steal bases. I don't care that he has little power, he is a very very good lead off type hitter. I would like proof that Fuku can't play LF. For God's sake, he plays RF, why wouldn't he be able to play LF?

Completely useless after April? He has 3 months where he is above average and 3 where he is below. Last time I checked April was only 1 month.

No, just no. Fukudome can't hit lefties and like I said in my post above, after April his numbers plummet and he becomes a liability in the lineup.

His April numbers do decrease, but plummet? That is just not true.