Cutler Has 6th Best Odds of MVP Win

winterwarz

This should be fun...

http://www.csnchicago.com/article/cutler-has-6th-best-odds-mvp-win

There are plenty of Chicago Bears fans that were scratching their heads after the team signed quarterback Jay Cutler to a seven-year contract extension in January, but according to oddsmakers that follow football, that money may be currency well-spent.

That’s because Bovada has Cutler pegged as having the sixth-best odds of winning the 2014 NFL MVP award according to their preseason rankings, with a 20/1 chance of winning the hardware.

Peyton Manning, quarterback for the defending AFC champion Denver Broncos, is the favorite at 3/1 odds, with Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints (11/2) and Aaron Rodgers of the Green Bay Packers (15/2) trailing him. Tom Brady (9/1) and Andrew Luck (16/1) round out the top five.

The odds may be in Cutler’s favor a bit because of the myriad of offensive weapons he has. Not only does he have arguably the league’s best receiving tandem in Brandon Marshall (who Bovada gives 66/1 odds of winning MVP honors) and Alshon Jeffery, but he also has tight end Martellus Bennett and running back duo Matt Forte (also 66/1) and rookie Ka’Deem Carey supporting him.

The Bears will report to training camp in Bourbonnais on July 24, and their first preseason game will take place on August 8 against the Philadelphia Eagles.

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I predict Cutler wins MVP this year. He has all of the tools to do so.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is why I hate when people say we should have kept McCown over Cutler. Cutler is an MVP caliber QB. If him and his weapons stay healthy this year, he'll at least be in the top 5 MVP voting.

That's laughable. Cutler has never been remotely close to an MVP caliber player. After seeing a career scrub like McCown be great in Treatman's offense with these weapons, the general idea seems to be that pretty much anyone can succeed in this position, hence Cutler being so high in the odds. This in itself is the main reason a lot of people were dubious about giving him so much money to succeed in the easiest QB role in the NFL when anyone can do it. He's never been among the preseason top 6 favorites for MVP before. Where do you think this suddenly came from? It's about the situation he's in, not the level of player he personally is. Hell it even flat out says so in the article ......

"The odds may be in Cutler’s favor a bit because of the myriad of offensive weapons he has. Not only does he have arguably the league’s best receiving tandem in Brandon Marshall (who Bovada gives 66/1 odds of winning MVP honors) and Alshon Jeffery, but he also has tight end Martellus Bennett and running back duo Matt Forte (also 66/1) and rookie Ka’Deem Carey supporting him."

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is why I hate when people say we should have kept McCown over Cutler. Cutler is an MVP caliber QB. If him and his weapons stay healthy this year, he'll at least be in the top 5 MVP voting.

Based on some Vegas betting odds?

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I definitely think it's possible for Jay Cutler to win MVP. He just needs to stay healthy and the offensive line needs to either improve or stay on par with how they did last year.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Its possible if Cutler stays healthy, throws a ton of touchdowns, not a lot of interceptions and wins a lot of games. You know, all of the things hes not very good at.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's laughable. Cutler has never been remotely close to an MVP caliber player. After seeing a career scrub like McCown be great in Treatman's offense with these weapons, the general idea seems to be that pretty much anyone can succeed in this position, hence Cutler being so high in the odds. This in itself is the main reason a lot of people were dubious about giving him so much money to succeed in the easiest QB role in the NFL when anyone can do it. He's never been among the preseason top 6 favorites for MVP before. Where do you think this suddenly came from? It's about the situation he's in, not the level of player he personally is. Hell it even flat out says so in the article ......

"The odds may be in Cutler’s favor a bit because of the myriad of offensive weapons he has. Not only does he have arguably the league’s best receiving tandem in Brandon Marshall (who Bovada gives 66/1 odds of winning MVP honors) and Alshon Jeffery, but he also has tight end Martellus Bennett and running back duo Matt Forte (also 66/1) and rookie Ka’Deem Carey supporting him."

:dontsay:

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Bears easily win the north and about eight other QBs are on IR...Jay totally has a shot....

(I'd still vote for Brandon Marshall)

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like%20a%20Moth%20to%20a%20Flame.jpg

james sanders

DE/OLB
Liked Posts:
I, for one, am sick of "this is Cutler's year", or "he'll take the next step this year" because if he where an MVP caliber QB, then where are his 4,500 yard season? Where's his 30 tds seasons? Can he throw fewer than 12 picks in a year? Cutler will never take the next step because he can't. He will always be a somewhat unfulfilled potential. He's fucking 30 years old. He is not going to get better.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I, for one, am sick of "this is Cutler's year", or "he'll take the next step this year" because if he where an MVP caliber QB, then where are his 4,500 yard season? Where's his 30 tds seasons? Can he throw fewer than 12 picks in a year? Cutler will never take the next step because he can't. He will always be a somewhat unfulfilled potential. He's fucking 30 years old. He is not going to get better.

You want to take a look at all of those quarterbacks that had gaudy stats and then see how many of them hoisted hardware? Who gives a shit about all that if it ends in playoff or SB destruction.

BTW the whole age comment is round two of stupidity. How much of a failure was McClown in all of his previous years? There are plenty of quarterbacks in NFL history that didn't have success until into their 30's.

CuttyDoesIt6

Liked Posts:

Cutler played fantastic before he got hurt, and you could tell he wasnt 100% when he came back. McCown also played well yes, but against lesser competition and was still only 3-2 in the games he started. I guarentee all 32 GM's in the NFL would take Cutler over McCown any day of the week. I was pretty much stating that the people that want McCown over Cutler must not know much about football. Is it a long shot that Cutty will win MVP? yes. But i believe if he would have stayed healthy all year last year, he would have been top 5. He was top 5 according to ESPN last year before he got hurt. I dont understand all the Cutler hate. He is arguably the best qb in franchise history, and people hate on him 24/7. Its impossible to please most Bears fans i guess.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Why are you giving me the "you don't say" guy? I was merely pointing out the obvious to the poster I was addressing. He's the one you ought to be giving shit to.

You seem mad. Maybe, just maybe the Vegas oddsmakers thought Cutler had the tools all along but was in an incompetent offensive system until now. Kinda exemplifies itself when you look at 2011 where he had us at 7-3 before breaking his thumb on a extraordinary hustle play where Knox magically fell down on his route leading to what could have been a game turning pick 6. And that proceeded by the Bears then losing 5 in a row vs 4 terrible opponents where we could barely score 10 points a game.