David Price

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Buster Olney reports that many people around basbball think David Price will be dealt during the 2013 season. Olney has speculated that the Cubs will be in play for him after the season. As he's getting too expensive for the Rays ... he just was paid a little over 10.1 million in his 2nd year of arb.

I think the Cubs would make an acqusition at next year's trade deadline for Price if made available. This is one player, the Cubs would trade 'spects to get. I think a trade next off-seaosn is kore likely, tho. I can't see them trading Price during the season, ezpecially if their still in the playoff mix. Which I seen happening, even with the AL East being tougher than ever.

It will cost the Cubs and I do think they won't be afraid to make a trade for him. He's only 28 (in August) and a CY winner.

Here's the question: Would you trade Jeff Samardzija for Price? I know the Cubs would rather have Samarzija and Price in the same rotation, but I think it'll be easier on the farm system if they did. Maybe Samardzija, Maples, Villanueva and Lake/Szczur for Price and another player possibly (Desmond Jennings, maybe or a 'spect).

Acquring both Upton and Price would be the best thing to happen in Chicago. But it's a complete pipedream. To me, Price is way more likely than Upton to come to Chicago.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, you trade Samardzija for Price. And it would probably take one or two of Almora-Baez-Soler.

I don't think so. I say with Samardzija no; without Samardizja, yes.

I know Samardiza is not even close to Price, but I think if you trade Samardzija and 2 of those guys, that's an overpay... even for Price.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
David Price was a #1 overall draft pick who has always played like such, whereas Justin Upton was also a #1 overall draft pick who has periods of inconsistency. If I was a betting man I'd say the Cubs were much more likely to get Upton than Price. And it'd take more than just Samardzija and whatever else the Cubs have to land Price in my opinion, I imagine they're going to get out-competed here by someone else who is much more desperate.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think so. I say with Samardzija no; without Samardizja, yes.

I know Samardiza is not even close to Price, but I think if you trade Samardzija and 2 of those guys, that's an overpay... even for Price.

Why would the Rays want Samardzija given that he is older and has the exact same amount of control. The Rays are going to want people they control for 6 years for Price.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would the Rays want Samardzija given that he is older and has the exact same amount of control. The Rays are going to want people they control for 6 years for Price.

...and not as good...

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Price would cost any team inquiring about him three top-10 prospects. He's just way too good with too much control left for him not to cost a substantial amount. If the Rays deal him (which seems likely given their track record with solid starting pitching), I think he stays in the AL. I think there's little chance he gets traded this year, due to the contract he just signed, and the fact the Rays have already traded Davis and Shields. They're still contenders without those two, but losing Price would hurt their chances to compete for a playoff spot, unless Matt Moore or Alex Cobb makes a huge leap.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Samardzija is way cheaper and will be way cheaper. If the Cubs offered him in a deal, they will have no problem taking him.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Price would cost any team inquiring about him three top-10 prospects. He's just way too good with too much control left for him not to cost a substantial amount. If the Rays deal him (which seems likely given their track record with solid starting pitching), I think he stays in the AL. I think there's little chance he gets traded this year, due to the contract he just signed, and the fact the Rays have already traded Davis and Shields. They're still contenders without those two, but losing Price would hurt their chances to compete for a playoff spot, unless Matt Moore or Alex Cobb makes a huge leap.

Depends on where they are at in the division by July 31. I think they'll trade him by then or wait for the offseason because there's no way Price is passing through waivers.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Samardzija is way cheaper and will be way cheaper. If the Cubs offered him in a deal, they will have no problem taking him.

Well, yeah, but you're not getting David Price back :lol:

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
This is how I see it, don't ruin your farm system for a guy who takes the field every 5th day (for the most part..). But it happens and will prolly happen for Price.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Depends on where they are at in the division by July 31. I think they'll trade him by then or wait for the offseason because there's no way Price is passing through waivers.

I think they'll certainly be in the thick of things. Their starting rotation is just too deep, even beyond Price. But like I said, trading him certainly compromises their chances to contend this season, again.... unless a young gun takes a huge leap forward. I mean, shit... they've got Niemann, Moore, Hellickson, Archer, Colome, Cobb and the newly acquired Odorizzi.

Shit.... could you imagine if a fringe contender with some juicy prospects made a call if the Rays were slipping July? Like hypothetically, what if Detroit wanted to put a dagger into the heart of the AL Central and put David Price next to Justin Verlander? I guarantee a package of Nick Castellanos (their top prospect who can adequately play third of a corner outfield spot), Eugenio Suarez (their top middle infield prospect with elite defense and gap power) and Jake Thompson (their second-rounder from last year) would get a conversation started. Although, I'd imagine the Rays may request a more developed pitching prospect then Thompson, which is something the Tigers are lacking.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
If you get pricevand Upton I'm guessing the farm drops to bottom three or so

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shields netted Will Myers. Dickey netted D'Araund. The cost is going to be Baez plus just to get the conversation started. I really doubt the Rays would want Shark given they gain nothing in terms of years of control which is what Tampa Bay has to be obsessed with, and there are teams with better pieces to make that move (e.g. Texas with Olt and Profar).

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I would rather have the Cubs pay a lot for a position player, since they play 150-162 games a season IF healthy. I think it's more worht it if the right player is there. Such as Longoria or Cano (I know neither will ever be available, just using them as examples.)

Last edited:

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Shields netted Will Myers. Dickey netted D'Araund. The cost is going to be Baez plus just to get the conversation started. I really doubt the Rays would want Shark given they gain nothing in terms of years of control which is what Tampa Bay has to be obsessed with, and there are teams with better pieces to make that move (e.g. Texas with Olt and Profar).

I honestly don't know how good of a fit Texas is as a trade partner. Profar seems untouchable, especially with Kinsler's struggles last year and he (Kinsler) potentially having to move positions because Profar is blocked at short because. You also have to consider that, even though Olt has become available over the last six months, he'd face the same problem in Tampa as he's got in Texas -- he's blocked at third by an elite player.

Don't get me wrong, though. If Texas called the Cubs about Garza and offered either one of those guys, I'd have a heart attack.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I honestly don't know how good of a fit Texas is as a trade partner. Profar seems untouchable, especially with Kinsler's struggles last year and he (Kinsler) potentially having to move positions because Profar is blocked at short because. You also have to consider that, even though Olt has become available over the last six months, he'd face the same problem in Tampa as he's got in Texas -- he's blocked at third by an elite player.

I agree that Profar is probably untouchable, but a guy like Price would have to make Texas consider moving him. Olt could easily slide over to first which is currently being manned by James Looney. While Olt's bat isn't nearly as good if he is moved off the hot corner, I am going to go out on a limb and say he is upgrade over Looney. Texas is just one team that has been in the market for an ace with top pitching available. If Baltimore was willing to deal Bundy they would make sense as well. The point is there are teams with higher impact guys that are closer to being ready than what the Cubs can offer, and the bidding for Price is going to be nuts compared to Shields and Dickey.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would rather have the Cubs pay a lot for a position player, since they play 150-162 games a season IF healthy. I think it's more worht it if the right player is there. Such as Longoria or Cano (I know neither will ever be available, just using them as examples.)

Cano might hit the free agent market if Yankees are serious about getting under the luxury tax threshold, but that is about the only way either would be available.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I agree that Profar is probably untouchable, but a guy like Price would have to make Texas consider moving him. Olt could easily slide over to first which is currently being manned by James Looney. While Olt's bat isn't nearly as good if he is moved off the hot corner, I am going to go out on a limb and say he is upgrade over Looney. Texas is just one team that has been in the market for an ace with top pitching available. If Baltimore was willing to deal Bundy they would make sense as well. The point is there are teams with higher impact guys that are closer to being ready than what the Cubs can offer, and the bidding for Price is going to be nuts compared to Shields and Dickey.

If the Rays would be able to land Bundy and Myers in the same season, I'd shit my pants.