Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
@WestCoastBearsFan is arguing for the sake of arguing, he has no point.

@Novak's point is that the Bears are not a cold weather team, cold is in fact, not Bear weather. Novak presented a well researched, meticulously documented air tight case.

WCBF is doing his thing, it's not good, but it seems to make him happy.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Actually, I'd like @bearmick s opinion on the OP

Completely agree with you. Always been a bunch of nonsense. I thought the whole bear weather thing was put to sleep after the '89 NFCC but I guess we'll always have meatballs.

(Just saw TBD's post right after yours)

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
OP makes another terrible thread. When will this garbage stop?
If it makes you feel any better, I have no idea who you are.

Thank you for staying on topic and making an attempt to dispute the OP tho. Your prescense here is needed and wanted and felt.

Last edited:

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's like saying vaccines saved mankind from disease even as they maimed, killed and caused a ton more disease. The world is full of meatballs.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Okay, but if you look at the stats I posted in the OP, the bears actually are amongst the 'worst' of the teams that you would consider 'cold weather'

What you're saying is that teams that are used to playing in hot weather won't perform as well in cold weather. Therefore you'd rather play the fair weather teams in the cold. This is generally true, but way less true for the Bears compared to their cold weather peers.
The Bears are more successful against the Saints, Falcons, and Bucs when we are st SF. The Miami game last year was a bad weather situation.

EL ROCKSTEADY

CBMB Refugee
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We've all heard this one, probably way more than once.

"Da Baers are a cold weather team. They get off the bus running and they hit hard. They never have a QuArTeRbAcK so we grind out games and win in the COLD like real men."

But how accurate is that statement? Do the Bears actually perform better in cold weather games, or is this just another in a long list of Bears fans fallacies they tell themselves (usually because they only follow the Bears and not the rest of the NFL)?

Lets take a look at the stats. Since "cold weather" is very loosely defined, if defined at all, this is the criteria I'm using:

1) Post-Merger, so 1970 on. Lets be honest, no one cares what happened prior to 1970.
2) Game had to be played outdoors, obviously. No retractable roofs, those are for pussies.
3) Finally, I made the cutoff at 40 degrees Fahrenheit or below. Should it be lower? What qualifies as "cold"? I think 40 is fair. If you've ever played the sport, you know getting hit when its 40 degrees out does not feel great.

Here's the results:
View attachment 1983

15th with a 48.4% win %.... yikes.

No one even competes with the Steelers. One thing I thought was interesting was Dallas' success in the cold. Maybe we should start considering them a cold weather powerhouse? Green Bay actually destroys Chicago when it comes to cold weather performances.

Lets change up the criteria to 2010 and on, just to take a look at where the Bears rank in recent history. Here's the results: http://pfref.com/tiny/mYCn9

View attachment 1984

Holy poop - the Bears are actually trending down in cold weather games.

I guess we can put this fallacy to bed once and for all, the Bears are in fact NOT a "cold weather team".

Maybe time to build a roof? Thoughts?

I think this can be misleading. Bears teams were bad for long periods of time. Weather can affect the outcome, but i think generally the better team wins. 40 degrees will affect the game, but more times than not the better team will win. A full blown blizzard the worst team may have a better chance of winning the best team. But the Bears are a cold weather team no matter what their record is in the cold. I will say though If I am a fair weather team, it may give me some angks to play in GB or Chicago in December.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I do think extreme weather would help the Bears. Isnt there a stat that shows Florida teams being terrible in under 32 degrees?

But for general weather or humidity, the better team usually wins.
Also on any given team, there are dozens of southern state players.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm just glad we were all able to reach an agreement that the Bears are in fact NOT a cold weather team, seeing as they have higher win % in warmer games as opposed to colder ones (within the same time period). Now we can move on to debunking the next meatball myth. Any ideas?

Thanks CCS!

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Jeff Joniak and Tom Thayer are good radio announcers?
I guess I didn't realize there were people out there under the impression that either of them are good at their jobs?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I guess I didn't realize there were people out there under the impression that either of them are good at their jobs?

I remember arguing on CCS that Joniak was a huge downgrade from Wayne Larivee, and everyone said that Larivee wasn't any good (because he went to the Packers, I assume).

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember arguing on CCS that Joniak was a huge downgrade from Wayne Larivee, and everyone said that Larivee wasn't any good (because he went to the Packers, I assume).

Larivee was my favorite announcer.....I don't particularly dislike Joniak.....what is your issue with him

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Larivee was my favorite announcer.....I don't particularly dislike Joniak.....what is your issue with him

Girlish voice is drowned out by ambient crowd noise, or by Thayer shouting "BALL!!!" whenever there is a fumble.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Girlish voice is drowned out by ambient crowd noise, or by Thayer shouting "BALL!!!" whenever there is a fumble.

I don't want to add to guilt by association but I hate Thayer as an announcer...I don't hold it against Joniak....

I suppose I can see how Joniak's voice could be grating, but it doesn't bother me because he calls a decent game.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
“WAS”

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
@Novak was able to debunk the cold weather myth using statistics and logic, I don't think those will work for announcers.

This may require a poll.

Quick question, do some people think the Bears radio team is the best in the NFL? They don't bother me one bit, but I've only heard snippets of other teams radio crew's during highlights of big plays, they all pretty much go ape shit. Based on that small sample size, I would guess they are all pretty much the same, total homerism, lots of screaming.