Derrick Rose flashes a gang sign.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
derrickrosegd.jpg

The Black Gangster Disciple Nation was formed on the South-side of Chicago in the late 1960s, by David Barksdale, leader of the Gonzanto Disciples, and Larry Hoover, leader of the Supreme Disciples. The two groups united to form the Black Gangster Disciple Nation (BGDN).[1]

The gang has made several attempts to legitimize their image. Some members dropped the "B" and began to call themselves GDs or Gangster Disciples. In the 1990s the Gangster Disciples entered into politics through the formation of the "Growth and Development" movement. [1] Outside of Chicago some gangs will still go by the old name of BGD.[2]

Gangster Disciples have been documented in the US military, found in both US and overseas bases.[3] Graffiti characteristic of the Gangster Disciples has been reportedly seen in U.S. military bases in Iraq and Afghanistan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangster_Disciples

19633449.b02fe0.jpg

Manic Devourer

Liked Posts:
Re:Derrick Rose is a gangster?

This is such a pathetic title for a thread.

I guess in this day and age, there are still many people that go about their lives with blinders on.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

What's a better thread title? Do you recommend that I used a period instead?

This is a guy who told a magazine that his family was under gang protection.

Gang members, who would normally step on anyone in their path, also made sure that Derrick and his family were not messed with.

“For anyone else, it can be pretty rough, ” Rose told Chicago Magazine’s Noah Isackson about growing up in Englewood with all eyes on him. “They looked out for my mother. They only do that for certain people, and we were lucky.”

http://www.bouncemag.com/2009/05/05/the-playground-gave-us-derrick-rose/

This is also the same guy who had a mysterious knife wound.

There is a question mark in there for a reason. It's not saying he is, it's not saying he isn't. But the picture definitely warrants discussion.

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:

It's a African American thang. That's how we get down on the southside of Chicago. Free Larry Hoover! Actually, its not Gangster Disciple no more, its Growth and Development. Its a proactive movement to lift African American youth from the streets and away from poverty.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:

That is not a good look. I have to say that if Rose was involved with those people, that is not a good look. Period. And its not an African American thing, its a lower class thing... believe that.

Manic Devourer

Liked Posts:

??? ?????? wrote:

Gang members, who would normally step on anyone in their path, also made sure that Derrick and his family were not messed with.

“For anyone else, it can be pretty rough, ” Rose told Chicago Magazine’s Noah Isackson about growing up in Englewood with all eyes on him. “They looked out for my mother. They only do that for certain people, and we were lucky.”

http://www.bouncemag.com/2009/05/05/the-playground-gave-us-derrick-rose/

This is also the same guy who had a mysterious knife wound.

There is a question mark in there for a reason. It's not saying he is, it's not saying he isn't. But the picture definitely warrants discussion.

It's not uncommon for people to be friends with gangsta's without actually being in them. Also, people in gangs are also people that have pride when it comes to protecting people from their own neighbourhood who they feel can achieve something.

I just don't like the perception of, "oh, gang sign. He's a gangsta" line of thinking. I think it's a premitive way of thinking in this day and age.

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:

I grew up near the Southside of Chicago, you have no other choice but to endorse a gang. Most of the people made it out but don't forget their roots. It's true that the gang lifestyle in Chicago has been linked to negativity since its existence, but just because one Negro makes it out of the hood doesn't mean we're suppose to follow your expectations. It was a incident one time, Paul Pierce had thrown the blood sign towards Horford and commentators made a joke out of it the next day. Derrick Rose came from the same perspective as me and you have nothing to say about his way of living. It's crazy how after his rookie season that a negative light is starting to creek over him. On side note, I didn't know Antonio Anderson was a Vice Lord.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:

??? ?????? wrote:

Right like the mafia doesn't do the same thing. The Rat Pack were regulars at mafia-run clubs back in the 60's. Does that mean they were all tommy-gun sportin hoodlums? No. Gangs look out for their community just the same as the mafia does. It doesn't mean Rose is a gangster or ever was one. It's a tough situation because on one hand they are looking out for a fellow brother who could achieve great success and get outta the hood, but on the other hand when that person does achieve a level of success, many of those who protected him in the past come calling looking for a little restitution. But in all honesty, Rose was right in his statements that they were one of the "lucky" ones to have someone looking out for him and his whole family.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

Diddy1122 wrote:
??? ?????? wrote:

Right like the mafia doesn't do the same thing. The Rat Pack were regulars at mafia-run clubs back in the 60's. Does that mean they were all tommy-gun sportin hoodlums? No. Gangs look out for their community just the same as the mafia does. It doesn't mean Rose is a gangster or ever was one. It's a tough situation because on one hand they are looking out for a fellow brother who could achieve great success and get outta the hood, but on the other hand when that person does achieve a level of success, many of those who protected him in the past come calling looking for a little restitution. But in all honesty, Rose was right in his statements that they were one of the "lucky" ones to have someone looking out for him and his whole family.

And this is why it is so important for the Bulls to steer Rose away from this direction. The Bulls' are for the most part, putting the future of the franchise for the next 10-12 years in Rose's hands. They can't have anything stupid happen to him, and when there's shady people littering his past.

For example, one of Rose's friends moved to the suburbs, was back in their old neighborhood for one night, and ended up dead, said to be from Russian Roullette.

tough was leaving home for Memphis, breaking from the small circle of friends he’d spent practically his whole life with and having to miss the funeral of one of those friends, who they said was killed playing Russian roulette.

“But he definitely wasn’t playing Russian roulette,” Rose says. “He would never do that. It was crazy. We were always together when we were younger. He had moved out to the suburbs with his father and he came back to the neighborhood for like a night. He told his mom he would be home that night … but he didn’t make it.

“That was my first close friend who ever died. You have to fight through it, but it was tough, really tough.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2009/feb/14/sports/chi-15-derrick-rose-bullsfeb15

You don't want to see Rose start becoming a target like Eddy Curry and Antoine Walker.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:

I understand the need for concern, and certainly don't want Rose to end up in a Curry-Walker situation. And I even said affiliations often lead to confrontations down the road. I'm not saying it's a good thing but I don't think it's as worrying as you're making it out to be. I'd say 80% of all NBA players have some sort of gang affiliation from their past.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:

Gangster? hes a bitch who cuts his apples before he eats them.

Wade Wilson

Liked Posts:

Simeon2UC wrote:
I grew up near the Southside of Chicago, you have no other choice but to endorse a gang. Most of the people made it out but don't forget their roots. It's true that the gang lifestyle in Chicago has been linked to negativity since its existence, but just because one Negro makes it out of the hood doesn't mean we're suppose to follow your expectations. It was a incident one time, Paul Pierce had thrown the blood sign towards Horford and commentators made a joke out of it the next day. Derrick Rose came from the same perspective as me and you have nothing to say about his way of living. It's crazy how after his rookie season that a negative light is starting to creek over him. On side note, I didn't know Antonio Anderson was a Vice Lord.

I grew up in the southside of Chicago, and I too am African American, and I never plugged, and the reality is most other kids around me in school didn't either. I of course did know, and in some cases was friendly with some kids who did, and because of that I can't judge the kids who do end up in gangs because in some cases these were boys who had no fathers, but whose big brothers, cousins, even uncles were in that life. But to say that you don't have a choice if you black and live on the southside makes me wonder if you're either exaggerating for the audience or if you're some kid from the suburbs claiming a life you've never led.

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:

I grew up on 67th and hermitage. I went to both local schools over there and my home was not far from Derrick's block.

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:

Simeon2UC wrote:

I grew up in the southside of Chicago, and I too am African American, and I never plugged, and the reality is most other kids around me in school didn't either. I of course did know, and in some cases was friendly with some kids who did, and because of that I can't judge the kids who do end up in gangs because in some cases these were boys who had no fathers, but whose big brothers, cousins, even uncles were in that life. But to say that you don't have a choice if you black and live on the southside makes me wonder if you're either exaggerating for the audience or if you're some kid from the suburbs claiming a life you've never led.

I grew up on 67th and hermitage. I went to both local schools over there and my home was not far from Derrick's block.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

Simeon2UC, do you know anything about Rose's friend that was supposedly killed from Russian roulette?

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:

I grew up in Beverly, but live in Washington Heights/Roseland area now. YOU DO HAVE A CHOICE! I would hate for some youngster who may read these forums to think any different after reading something on here. That is why some people leave the ghetto, so that their decision to not be involved doesn't come back to haunt them. But you can choose to live outside of that life.

TheStig

Liked Posts:

Its not the best thing to see but I am just happy he didn't go out and by a motorcycle.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:

Thank God I grew up in the suburbs lol.

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:

houheffna wrote:
I grew up in Beverly, but live in Washington Heights/Roseland area now. YOU DO HAVE A CHOICE! I would hate for some youngster who may read these forums to think any different after reading something on here. That is why some people leave the ghetto, so that their decision to not be involved doesn't come back to haunt them. But you can choose to live outside of that life.

I also grew up in Roseland too. I stayed near 111th and a lot of kids aspire to be Derrick. It hasn't been such a buzz since MJ or Obama.

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:

??? ?????? wrote:
Simeon2UC, do you know anything about Rose's friend that was supposedly killed from Russian roulette?

No, but living in the streets we grew up in, anybody were bound to have a friend that false flagged and paid the price. We all know Derrick isn't a banger but when you leave your place of upbringing, you show your pride where you from everywhere you go. Fortunately, growing up I was able to see different first-hand situations that were life deciding. Most of the Chicago kids born in the 90's remember the incident with Robert Sandifer and other unfortunate casualties. Our communities in Englewood fight to keep kids from going in that direction. I have noticed a decrease in Gang climate but we still take pride in our history.