Did D-Rose cheat on his SAT exam?

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I see your point, and I would love the 3yr thing, but 1yr is just dumb and pointless. And I'm sorry Doug, but the "who cares?" comment, c'mon, are you telling me you're not gonna care when one of your own kids cheats on a test? It's the "who cares?" attitude that keeps this type of stuff going on in the first place.

It depends on the circumstances. If there is an artificial barrier placed in front of my kids preventing them from fully following their dream and the barrier has nothing to do with that dream and is 100% irrelevant to their life in the future, then no. I would not be upset. Especially if the majority if people following this dream are cheating in some way as well.

For example, say my daughter was going to be a doctor, and for some reason harvard medical decided to institute a rule that all incoming med students had to run a 6 second 40 yard dash, and my daughter could only run a 6.5. I wouldn't be too upset if she figured away to let someone else run for her. The rule is ridiculous for what she wants to do and has no impact on her future life.

I speed everyday. This is illegal, but so does everyone else. I don't see anything wrong with speeding nor do I find it immoral as long as it's within certain bounds. Clearly there is a point where speeding is bad (driving 150 mph in school zone wouldn't be too cool).

The line between legal and moral isn't a perfect line to me. Probably 99% of cheating on tests would be highly immoral to me, but in this case, the test itself is immoral. It serves no purpose except to prevent people from following their dreams, dreams which are not reliant on the test results.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I'd rather they expanded rosters to about 30 and have each team have a single affiliated development team in a reserves league. Cut the stupid colleges completely out of the system. There's absolutely no reason why these guys shouldn't be getting paid, instead of the colleges. Leave the colleges for people who actually want to get an education, not throw a ball in a hoop.

The league is better off letting them go to school for three years. The players will get so much more publicity by having them in NCAA basketball for three seasons. Also the coaching is probably far better.

The league also isn't going to want to support the dleague or roster sizes that big. Half the teams in the league are losing money big time now, that would be a massive added expense which would serve no purpose to them.

I'm all for the "make colleges about education", especially state schools that are state funded. However, very little about colleges is based on education. In fact the schools based MOST on education are community colleges. They actually set themselves up to deliver cost efficient education at affordable prices. The big schools piss away money at an unbelievable rate.

Hoover

Liked Posts:
It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I wonder how much Derrick knew about it? If I'm his brother and I'm running this scam, which if it happened I'm sure he did, then Derrick never knows about it. This gives him plausable denialibility.

Of course, I don't know how u do it without Derrick knowing?

Also, the 1st thing I thought of was this may explain why he chose Memphis over Illinois. I don't know, but I think Webber would not get involved in this.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Hoover wrote:
It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I wonder how much Derrick knew about it? If I'm his brother and I'm running this scam, which if it happened I'm sure he did, then Derrick never knows about it. This gives him plausable denialibility.

Of course, I don't know how u do it without Derrick knowing?

Also, the 1st thing I thought of was this may explain why he chose Memphis over Illinois. I don't know, but I think Webber would not get involved in this.

I don't see how he couldn't have known.

What good does plausible deniability due to him anyway? He's not going to jail, and the effects to his reputation and the reputation of Memphis are the same regardless of whether he has plausible deniability.

Hoover

Liked Posts:
I agree, it's unlikely he didn't know and he probable won't have any legal problems.
But this town loves this kid, as does the media. If his brother falls on the sword, if you will, this gives fans and the media an excuse not to persecute him. I think this would help him in future endorsement deals.

Imagine if this were BG, how different would the reaction be?

I'm not saying this is some huge deal, it's not, but his reputation is so good, if I'm the brother I do what I can to protect it.

Morten Jensen

Liked Posts:
Agreed.

At least this wasn't 'Chris Webber' bad. Rose didn't take on several hundred thousand dollars nor did he live a life in utter luxury. This will have no ramification on his NBA career.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I'm not saying this is some huge deal, it's not, but his reputation is so good, if I'm the brother I do what I can to protect it.

Between the fight he got into at memphis, the 105 mile an hour speeding ticket, and the cheating on exam thing, I think his character is fairly dicey.

That doesn't mention the apple cutting incident which was in the place of a defensive wound, and his explanation didn't really match reality if you've ever cut an apple in your life (which I do regularly for my kids).

Either way, I'm not worried about all of these things, I don't think he's a low life thug, but my standards for "high character" are quite a bit higher then simply not being a thug, and from the public stories I've heard about Rose, I'm fairly certain he wouldn't meet them.

Jamfan

Twitter: @jamfan41
Liked Posts:
kukoc4ever wrote:
Yet another reason I don't like college basketball that much.

This is somewhat an after-affect of Stern requiring players go to school for one year before joining the league.

With Rose though, we now have the speeding, the cutting and now the cheating. A few red flags in terms of his character. But, as long as he's an OK citizen and a great NBA basketball player, I'm all good with him. Something to fret about a little bit though.
What does rolling over a knife have to do with Rose's character?

TheStig

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
I'd rather they expanded rosters to about 30 and have each team have a single affiliated development team in a reserves league. Cut the stupid colleges completely out of the system. There's absolutely no reason why these guys shouldn't be getting paid, instead of the colleges. Leave the colleges for people who actually want to get an education, not throw a ball in a hoop.

The league is better off letting them go to school for three years. The players will get so much more publicity by having them in NCAA basketball for three seasons. Also the coaching is probably far better.

The league also isn't going to want to support the dleague or roster sizes that big. Half the teams in the league are losing money big time now, that would be a massive added expense which would serve no purpose to them.

I'm all for the "make colleges about education", especially state schools that are state funded. However, very little about colleges is based on education. In fact the schools based MOST on education are community colleges. They actually set themselves up to deliver cost efficient education at affordable prices. The big schools piss away money at an unbelievable rate.
LOL that was a good one:laugh:

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Diddy1122 wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
Hell Kobe raped a woman and its never brought up, and you think this will tarnish Rose. :laugh:

I'm sorry was Kobe found guilty of rape. I must've missed that on the news. He was found innocent in a court of law, so people are forgiving and forgetting now. And c'mon you can't compare those two. Kobe was on trial for rape, not cheating on a test. And if you don't think Kobe's image was tarnished alittle you're nuts. Kobe lost TONS of money in endorsement deals when those allegations came out. He's just recently in the past couple years started to be in more commercials.

People will forgive and forget for Rose, the fans especially. Hell, I already do in a way. But Rose will lose some potential money in this. Couldn't have come at a worse time too, being ROY and having a stellar playoffs en all.

forgive? tell me is anyone truly upset over this? you act like its a big deal. Its not. In order to forgive some one you must be upset at him first, I know I am not upset.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
Diddy1122 wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
Hell Kobe raped a woman and its never brought up, and you think this will tarnish Rose. :laugh:

I'm sorry was Kobe found guilty of rape. I must've missed that on the news. He was found innocent in a court of law, so people are forgiving and forgetting now. And c'mon you can't compare those two. Kobe was on trial for rape, not cheating on a test. And if you don't think Kobe's image was tarnished alittle you're nuts. Kobe lost TONS of money in endorsement deals when those allegations came out. He's just recently in the past couple years started to be in more commercials.

People will forgive and forget for Rose, the fans especially. Hell, I already do in a way. But Rose will lose some potential money in this. Couldn't have come at a worse time too, being ROY and having a stellar playoffs en all.

forgive? tell me is anyone truly upset over this? you act like its a big deal. Its not. In order to forgive some one you must be upset at him first, I know I am not upset.

If anybody doesn't realize that Kobe did it and paid that chick off then there crazy. Kobe's also is abusive to his maid which is quite weird. The funny thing is that fans don't really give crap as long as player produces. Look at Arod he's hit couple walkoff homeruns and the guy is beloved

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
If anybody doesn't realize that Kobe did it and paid that chick off then there crazy. Kobe's also is abusive to his maid which is quite weird. The funny thing is that fans don't really give crap as long as player produces. Look at Arod he's hit couple walkoff homeruns and the guy is beloved

Those accusations are unfounded, he was acquitted in court. Kobe's wife had problems with the maid, not Kobe. All I can say is I see past the "aw shucks" affability that is being pushed on us concerning Rose. I know someone who knows him, and I was told that Rose is a great guy. I have heard that he treats everyone well and is very, very respectful. I have heard the same thing about Tommie Harris and other famous athletes. I don't believe Harris is an angel, but I believe he is a good guy.

This latest news just kind of hits home and lets me know not to expect too much from athletes. It makes you appreciate the Rodmans and Barkleys of the world who put everything out there. Once I heard about him being from Englewood, I had my doubts about certain aspects of the public persona.

I am not worried about Rose, it is those around him that worry me...

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Every NBA makes a mistake. The only who really hasn't is Lebron. This is why this college rule sucks becasuse some of these guys aren't smart enough to make it. I bet you if KG had to go to 1 college year rule he would of cheated on his ACT too

kukoc4ever

Liked Posts:
DerrickRose1 wrote:
kukoc4ever wrote:
Yet another reason I don't like college basketball that much.

This is somewhat an after-affect of Stern requiring players go to school for one year before joining the league.

With Rose though, we now have the speeding, the cutting and now the cheating. A few red flags in terms of his character. But, as long as he's an OK citizen and a great NBA basketball player, I'm all good with him. Something to fret about a little bit though.
What does rolling over a knife have to do with Rose's character?

You believed that story?

Its too ridiculous to pass my sniff test.

Compounded with these other transgressions, the eating apples in bed and rolled over knife after nodding off story is even more fishy.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Dpauley23 wrote:
Every NBA makes a mistake. The only who really hasn't is Lebron. This is why this college rule sucks becasuse some of these guys aren't smart enough to make it. I bet you if KG had to go to 1 college year rule he would of cheated on his ACT too

KG went to the NBA because he had no hope of getting into an NCAA school.

st. park

Liked Posts:
I think this is bigger than the Noah-pot situation, but in the larger scheme, I really don't care if Rose took his SAT's or not. I guess it sort of reinforces in my mind that Rose really isn't that bright, but as long as he continues his fine play on the court, who cares right?

masamunexs

Liked Posts:
I think it definitely hurts his image a bit, but it's not something people are going to care about in a month or two. I'm more concerned if this implies he has low intelligence, and whether it will impede the development of his court vision and running the offense.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Dpauley23 wrote:

I seem to remember a problem with LeBron's mom having a car that was bought for her by an agent or something. And then there was the whole retro jersey episode, so LeBron wasn't clean either.

KG wouldn't have cheated. He's the classiest guy in the NBA. Hehe.

In the end, no one will care. I'm not even that upset about him cheating. I don't think it was right, but then again the whole NCAA system is not right. I think that taking money for his brother's travel expenses is worse. But I'm smart enough to realize, every player is not a saint, and most of them have skimmed a lil off the top at one time or another. Just wished it wasn't my boy D-Rose is all.

Hoover

Liked Posts:
Just curious, what's so fishy about the knife cut. Do you think he was in some kind of knife fight? Maybe he was doing a scene from West Side Story?