Did D-Rose cheat on his SAT exam?

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Diddy1122 wrote:
Dpauley23 wrote:
Every NBA makes a mistake. The only who really hasn't is Lebron. This is why this college rule sucks becasuse some of these guys aren't smart enough to make it. I bet you if KG had to go to 1 college year rule he would of cheated on his ACT too

I seem to remember a problem with LeBron's mom having a car that was bought for her by an agent or something. And then there was the whole retro jersey episode, so LeBron wasn't clean either.

KG wouldn't have cheated. He's the classiest guy in the NBA. Hehe.

In the end, no one will care. I'm not even that upset about him cheating. I don't think it was right, but then again the whole NCAA system is not right. I think that taking money for his brother's travel expenses is worse. But I'm smart enough to realize, every player is not a saint, and most of them have skimmed a lil off the top at one time or another. Just wished it wasn't my boy D-Rose is all.

I doesn't say anything about how he gave Reggie the money, but just Reggie got the money by himself. So your telling me KG just would of went to play junior college ball. These people are idiots for making him take the ACT too. Why wouldn't you just take ACT since that test is 3 times easier.

kukoc4ever

Liked Posts:
Hoover wrote:
Just curious, what's so fishy about the knife cut. Do you think he was in some kind of knife fight? Maybe he was doing a scene from West Side Story?

OK, so the story is that he was laying in his bed eating apples.

He was slicing up the apples with a knife. He leave the knife in his bed, forgets that its there and then somehow gets a gash on his arm that requires 10 stitches.

Here's a cut that required 10 stitches.

300343811_44c370dd98.jpg

Yah, seems fishy....

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Someone with access to Derrick Rose’s academic records at Simeon High School changed a D to a C, boosting the future Bulls Rookie of the Year's transcript for college, sources told the Chicago Sun-Times today.

Who falsified the records in the grade-changing scandal remains a mystery that the Chicago Public Schools has been unable to solve.

The Sun-Times has learned that Bulls guard Derrick Rose, who won the NBA Rookie of the Year award last month, had a grade altered while he was a prep star at Simeon High School.
Rose, 20, was one of four Simeon athletes whose grades were boosted for a one-month period after their June 2007 graduation and then changed back after the bogus transcripts had been sent to colleges, according to sources and a report by the CPS inspector general.

kukoc4ever

Liked Posts:
See, the thing is, he should just be allowed to have gone to the NBA to begin with.

Why someone is basically forced to go to an institution of supposed higher learning for 1 year now in order to become a professional basketball player is ridiculous.

What are the other options? D-League for 1 year? Europe for one year? That kinda kills your draft stock a little bit though, right?

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
So could Simeon's state championship be rescinded? In my high school's conference, a D = ineligibility.

This looks like it has nothing to do with college imo, but with keeping Rose eligible to play at Simeon.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Just checked Simeon's athletic eligibility requirements, and they're pathetic. So the grade altering had to be to try to push him above the minimum college GPA.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Dpauley23 wrote:
Diddy1122 wrote:
Dpauley23 wrote:
Every NBA makes a mistake. The only who really hasn't is Lebron. This is why this college rule sucks becasuse some of these guys aren't smart enough to make it. I bet you if KG had to go to 1 college year rule he would of cheated on his ACT too

I seem to remember a problem with LeBron's mom having a car that was bought for her by an agent or something. And then there was the whole retro jersey episode, so LeBron wasn't clean either.

KG wouldn't have cheated. He's the classiest guy in the NBA. Hehe.

In the end, no one will care. I'm not even that upset about him cheating. I don't think it was right, but then again the whole NCAA system is not right. I think that taking money for his brother's travel expenses is worse. But I'm smart enough to realize, every player is not a saint, and most of them have skimmed a lil off the top at one time or another. Just wished it wasn't my boy D-Rose is all.

I doesn't say anything about how he gave Reggie the money, but just Reggie got the money by himself. So your telling me KG just would of went to play junior college ball. These people are idiots for making him take the ACT too. Why wouldn't you just take ACT since that test is 3 times easier.

I was joking about KG. Of course he woulda cheated, c'mon now. Yea it's vague as to who gave Reggie the money but I'm fairly certain Rose knew about it. I don't know why he didn't take the ACT, but then again he's probably too dumb to even pass that so didn't really matter.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It really sucks that these athletes aren't smart enough to pass these tests...but I guess that's why they're athletes and not scholars. That one guy who is passing up the NFL to be a neurosurgeon is someone that high school athletes should look up to...but I suppose that's not really realistic.

I guess I'm smarter than most if not all of pro athletes whoop de doo, and yet they're the ones making millions. Great system we have here eh?

RPK

Liked Posts:
clonetrooper264 wrote:
It really sucks that these athletes aren't smart enough to pass these tests...but I guess that's why they're athletes and not scholars. That one guy who is passing up the NFL to be a neurosurgeon is someone that high school athletes should look up to...but I suppose that's not really realistic.

I guess I'm smarter than most if not all of pro athletes whoop de doo, and yet they're the ones making millions. Great system we have here eh?

You're talking about the top 1 percent athletes in the world. Compare that to the top businessmen and their bank accounts dwarf the athletes.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
RPK wrote:
clonetrooper264 wrote:

You're talking about the top 1 percent athletes in the world. Compare that to the top businessmen and their bank accounts dwarf the athletes.
Yeah I guess you're right...perhaps I'm just bitter.

Hoover

Liked Posts:
I guess I don't understand your premise. Are you suggesting it would be impossible for a person to cut themselves, bad enough to require ten stitches, by rolling onto a knife on their bed? Or do you believe people don't eat apples in bed with knives?
I sometimes eat cheese and crackers in bed, I use a pretty hefty knife for that. I've never rolled on to it though. Maybe Rose was drunk?

Also, what would they/he be covering up? That's really what I don't understand. What is this sinister plot protecting?

I once needed 6 stitches in my finger after cutting it on a can of creamed corn. It was unbelievable, went right to the bone. Yes, I like creamed corn.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:

I'm 33 right now. By the time I'm 50, I'd bet that I have more assets than 70%-90% of the people who played in the NBA do when they're 50 (using a sample of guys who are within 2-3 years of my birth year just so inflation isn't a factor), and I'm no where near as good a business man / engineer percentage wise as most of these guys are basketball percentage wise.

wjb1492

Liked Posts:
RPK wrote:
wjb1492 wrote:
To a great extent I'd agree with that statement - I don't excuse universities for it, either. There's plenty of blame to go around where academic fraud is concerned in connection with athletics. So do you just want to excuse an individual athlete if anyone else is involved? In my book, that means everyone screwed up, not that responsibility is so diluted you act like no one should be held accountable.

But, like I said, this is an issue I feel strongly on. I've had plenty of people tell me "everyone does it" or "it's not a big deal" - but when I catch a student cheating I still go through the whole university process of filing an academic integrity violation.

What I'm saying is, he made a lapse in judgment, and since the current collegiate athletic system rewards schools who simply turns a blind eye to academic integrity, what is the total damage done? He helped give Memphis millions of dollars for possible scholarships for kids who actually care about their education. What morality is tarnished here? Given the fact he only went for one year, education has nothing to do with why he went to college. Who will honestly say that they look up to Rose for his ability to complete one year of college? He wasn't exactly a poster boy for continuing higher education before the alleged misdeed.

He's not using his education to get a job and he didn't lie in a job interview.

The main damage for Rose could be a slight ***** in the overall Chicago-Darling-sponsorship deals.

My issue with this is that you don't fix problems with a no-harm-no-foul attitude. Where rules are stupid, they should be changed. If the system is corrupt, you need to work on fixing the system while at the same time punishing individual wrongdoers. The morality that is tarnished is basic integrity - it's not a means to an end type of question. I see shades of gray in a whole lot of things, but I just don't see it here. Other kids are struggling and needing test scores to get into schools, too, and people who cheat do screw it up for those who play by the rules - it's all reflected in where you fall in the percentiles, and that does impact flat scores as well.

Maybe this is just my personal windmill and I ought to change my screen name to DonQuixote1492. Something like this is just a big deal to me - I can't think of a single circumstance where I can see having someone else take the SATs for you is in any way justified.

wjb1492

Liked Posts:
TheStig wrote:
Oh all the model students have come out now have they? Who here hasn't cheated on a test or paper?

In complete and total honesty, never.

If you want to expand that question to board games, I used to cheat at Casper the Friendly Ghost Parcheesi all the time as a little kid.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
dougthonus wrote:

I'm 33 right now. By the time I'm 50, I'd bet that I have more assets than 70%-90% of the people who played in the NBA do when they're 50 (using a sample of guys who are within 2-3 years of my birth year just so inflation isn't a factor), and I'm no where near as good a business man / engineer percentage wise as most of these guys are basketball percentage wise.
Out of curiosity, are these players people who will get cut at any given moment, or players like Battier that will always have a place on a team? And considering that none of these athletes are very bright (for the most part), they would probably spend a lot of their money before the age of 50 instead of saving it. I wouldn't be surprised if many got the "Randy Brown syndrome" and filed for bankruptcy later in life either.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
wjb1492 wrote:
TheStig wrote:
Oh all the model students have come out now have they? Who here hasn't cheated on a test or paper?

If you want to expand that question to board games, I used to cheat at Casper the Friendly Ghost Parcheesi all the time as a little kid.

Everyone cheats on atleast one test, for me I cheated on a math test in the 7th grade and got caught and never ever tried that again after I got grounded by my parents. However had I been an athlete and teachers wanted to help me, I would be down with it.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Newskoolbulls wrote:
wjb1492 wrote:
TheStig wrote:

Everyone cheats on atleast one test, for me I cheated on a math test in the 7th grade and got caught and never ever tried that again after I got grounded by my parents. However had I been an athlete and teachers wanted to help me, I would be down with it.
I have yet to cheat on a test...hopefully that doesn't jinx me in any way.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
wjb1492 wrote:
TheStig wrote:

LOL, I was in a econ class once where at least 3 out of 4 people cheated by programming their graphing calculators with terms and equations and used them throughout finals. I didn't participate in that but I cheated plenty in HS. I once took a essay test with 5 people helping me in the middle of the testing center because I didn't read the book. I would bet most at least 80% of people have cheated in HS.

wjb1492

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
wjb1492 wrote:
TheStig wrote:

Then I'm the exception to the rule - or I cheated so young that I have no recollection of it. And I remember biting some kid in kindergarten, so I think I'd remember cheating.

I went to a small school for grade school (15-20 kids per grade total) and was the biggest nerd of all - I'd have done worse to copy off anyone else, and I wasn't about to let anyone else benefit off of my work. By the time we moved, I already had this attitude developed. I was going to take what I could get on my own merits - in academic classes it was never an issue, but I took a B in PE (one of 2 Bs on my HS record) when I could have easily inflated my self-reported scores on the skills tests to get an A.

I doubt I'm the only person, and I don't think this makes me some superior individual. My character flaws would be one hell of a list - this is just one of a few areas I feel very strongly about.