Did the Chicago Cardinals Do the Wrong thing by leaving Chicago? Or did the Bears?

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
A Bear and Cardinal combining is giving me Banjo Kazooie flashbacks.

SiDe WaYs

Liked Posts:
If Chicago had a second team I bet Toyota park would be their home. I think it would be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Cardinals did the right thing by moving. Yes, the market probably could have supported two teams but one would have been more dominant and would have grabbed more market share. Look at the Jets. They have been, and still are, considered to the mentally challenged little brother of the Giants. Granted, the Giants have a much longer history than the Jets but the Jets have been around long enough to develop enough of a base to overcome it.

By leaving for St. Louis the Cardinals were able to get into a market that could support them, plus maintain themselves in areas that had no solid NFL teams. At the time the only team close to St. Louis was Chicago and Kansas City and both teams were around 200 miles away. They could go south and pick up fans as well as get fans in Iowa and Kansas.

In all honesty, the dumb thing was moving from St. Louis to Arizona. While the deal was good ultimately the team went to a smaller market with less potential.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Because they've won a championship within the last century?

Or is it the black and silver thing?

I think it's beating up refs/umps.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Aren't the Cardinals the oldest team in the NFL? I think so.

Only the Bears and Cardinals are charter members of the NFL. Green Bay is the oldest franchise to stay in the same location and never change names.

Meatball

Liked Posts:
2) Chicago Bears Move Away. Chicago Cardinals Stay
I would be extremly upset if history played out like this.

No you wouldn't.

You be a Cardinals fan right now instead of a Bears fan. Because you would have lived in a world where the Bears moved away and the Cardinals stayed.

No other US NFL City has attempted to put two NFL teams in a city

What country is New York city and Los Angeles in?

This thread is an abortion.

PeteMicheals

Liked Posts:
No you wouldn't.

You be a Cardinals fan right now instead of a Bears fan. Because you would have lived in a world where the Bears moved away and the Cardinals stayed.

What country is New York city and Los Angeles in?

This thread is an abortion.

Meatball,

I'm not sure if you know what an abortion is.

We would have missed out on Urlacher, Payton, Dent, Perry, Luckmen. Why would I have been a cardinals fan? I'm so lost. Why would I want that. I want the players I just listed.

New York City and Los Angeles is in the United States.

Meatball

Liked Posts:
Meatball,

I'm not sure if you know what an abortion is.

Something your Mom should have had?

We would have missed out on Urlacher, Payton, Dent, Perry, Luckmen. Why would I have been a cardinals fan? I'm so lost. Why would I want that. I want the players I just listed.

Did you see Luckman play?

My guess is you grew up a Bears fan because you're from somewhere around the Chicagoland area.

Had you grew up and the Cardinals were the only team in Chicago........it stands to reason you'd be a Cardinals fan.

You follow?

New York City and Los Angeles is in the United States.

Great.

Mind explaining how you said in your first post that no US city had ever had two NFL teams then?

PeteMicheals

Liked Posts:
Something your Mom should have had?

Did you see Luckman play?

My guess is you grew up a Bears fan because you're from somewhere around the Chicagoland area.

Had you grew up and the Cardinals were the only team in Chicago........it stands to reason you'd be a Cardinals fan.

You follow?

Great.

Mind explaining how you said in your first post that no US city had ever had two NFL teams then?

Not sure why you're talking about my mothers abortion. It's irreverent to this/your conversation

I never saw Sid Play I'm 33. But without his history, were not talking about the same bears team. I did grow up in the Chicago Area, and a bear fan. So maybe I would be a cardinal fan if there was no bear existance, I would hate the name though lol

New York has the Giants and the Jets. They are the only team with 2 teams. Los Angels does not. It has 0

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"Junior Members"

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And the bad fanbases

Yeah, it sucks when your fans actually pay attention to the game instead of pretending they're at the world's worst frat party.

I lived in Wrigleyville for a few years, and Cubs fans are the worst group of people I've ever been around. I don't even like baseball, but I love the fact that they're horrible, just because their fans are 95% douchebags.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Yeah, it sucks when your fans actually pay attention to the game instead of pretending they're at the world's worst frat party.

I lived in Wrigleyville for a few years, and Cubs fans are the worst group of people I've ever been around. I don't even like baseball, but I love the fact that they're horrible, just because their fans are 95% douchebags.

LOL. if you say so. I don't think Cubs fans aren't obnoxious, since being one I've come in to contact with many of them, but don't pretend Sox fans are any better. They're all Chicago fans, and Chicago fans in general are fucking idiots. I don't include you in that group WCL, but this board is a pretty good representation of Chicago fans that I actually come into contact with. There are way too many jag bags that make the good ones look pretty bad.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
No.. They made a mistake not staying in St. Louis though.

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
There are 5 official options that could have happened during this hiatus.

1) Chicago Cardinals Move Away. Chicago Bears Stay
3) Both the Bears and the Cardinals Leave Chicago
4) Both the Bears and the Cardinals Stay
5) Bears and Cardinals Merge into 1 team and form a dynasty.

Lets further discuss our options:

1) Chicago Cardinals Move Away. Chicago Bears Stay
If any of us follow history, this is the option the world gave us. With the Cardinals providing ten losing seasons until 1960, they could not keep enough fans to stay in Chicago. They were simply overmastered by the mighty bears. Was this the right thing to do though? History says yes, common knowledge says no. Chicago has a rich history in sports and could easily support two NFL teams. See Cubs and White Sox fourms. Not to mention this is football, the most popular sport in the US and A since the early 90's.

I would be extremly upset if history played out like this. We all know a bear is a much greater and fierce animal than a cardinal. In fact, the cardinal has 4 professional sport already named as its mascot. The bears ARE original. We would have had to miss out on payton, dent, and mays and instead see running game of dickerson.

3) Both the Bears and the Cardinals Leave Chicago
This is a very unlikely senerio. Chicago was booming in manufacturing in the 1950s. Too many people to NOT support a football team. I do not see this senerio as realistic and I will not even acknowledge it.

4) Both the Bears and the Cardinals Stay
I'm humbled and upset history did not play us this card. No other US NFL City has attempted to put two NFL teams in a city, and Chicago would have been the place to do it. The cardinals could have continued playing at Wriggly Field, while the Bears play with solider. The rivalry that would exist in this city would be nuts.

5) Bears and Cardinals Merge into 1 team and form a dynasty.
I have never seen this happen before, but this is defiantly the way more teams should go. For example, there is no team in LA. What if both the "Titans" and the "Jaguars" would combine and head out to LA. It would be nuts and a team full of allstars. Bears and Cardinals should have tried to think this one through. We could have had both Dickerson and Payton.
Hey at least its an original thought, its not like there is anything else worth talking about until camp starts. If a second team was here I bet we would have more than one superbowl championship in this city, better ticket prices, and a bigger stadium with a dome.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How come OP assumes that if the Bears left and Cards stayed, that the Bears history would have stayed the same? Whatever the name, the team that left probably would've become crap regardless of the name.