DJ Williams

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Meh. I rather rock with Williams and Briggs as pro bowl vet LBers and one young gun like Bostic or Shea manning the other spot.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
Meh. I rather rock with Williams and Briggs as pro bowl vet LBers and one young gun like Bostic or Shea manning the other spot.

DJ has never been to a pro bowl or been an all pro. He's also 31 and hasn't played a 16-game season since 2010. And weren't there reports about him showing up late and overweight this year? I just cannot bring myself to have high expectations for him.

edit: Brian Urlacher has played a 16-game season more recently than DJ Williams.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
DJ has never been to a pro bowl or been an all pro. He's also 31 and hasn't played a 16-game season since 2010. And weren't there reports about him showing up late and overweight this year? I just cannot bring myself to have high expectations for him.

edit: Brian Urlacher has played a 16-game season more recently than DJ Williams.

Pro bowl sub. My bad

Celks

Liked Posts:
If by "proven he can play mike in the NFL" you mean he has "proven he can be a liability against the run and so bad in pass coverage he has to be pulled off the field", then I agree with you

DJ Williams was actually looking solid in the run game before he got injured.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
I believe D.J. also had a few sacks to be one of our sad sack leaders as well. We can roll with him one more year

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If the reports are correct about DJ showing up late and overweight, I'd say that what they show in vet minicamp is what they will roll with game 3 preseason

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
It'll be interesting to see how long DJ holds onto his job as starting MLB

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Dj is losing his job to Bostic! We need speed and youth. We have enough veterans playing.
He will loose it in Nickel formation for sure. DJ is the better LB against the run. Bostic needs to show alot more before he gets the nod.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
DJ Williams has proven he can play mike in the NFL, no one else on this team can say that.

Bostic, and Shea are light years behind DJ. If things change like, injuries or Shea proving he can play in the league, then time to re-think things. But right now, Shea and Bostic have shown no reason at all either should play MLB for the Bears.
wasn't aware anyone had seen shea play mlber in the nfl yet dunno how u can deduce he is light years behind at this point. I think shea plays sam. bostic will get the nod at mlber and briggs of course none of those are facts just my opinion hell for all we know by the end of tc shea could end up the starting mlber no one can make anything but guesses at this point imho

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Whats best for the defense is that Bostic truly wins the MLB spot and takes another big step in his development. If not WIlliams is an adequate Linebacker.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Dj is losing his job to Bostic! We need speed and youth. We have enough veterans playing.

I'm just so glad there's real open competition for the positions of MLB and SLB!! The best will play.

I really didn't get that impression from the Lovie staff. Williams played well for us, he lead the Broncos in tackles multiple years, and he's a vet who knows what he's doing. He got injured. That's the NFL. I also think there's open competition in other key areas like DT, rotational DE, S, 3rd/4th WR, 2nd RB, KR/PR & TE.

Not sure if there's open comp for NB -- are Frey and Hayden allowed to compete for starting NB?

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Way to elaborate your confusion.

I have a feeling that politics might get involved here.
I find it possible that the
Bears won't want to label McClellin a bust and prove Emery fucked up.
If Bostic and McClellin both only vie for SLB then Bostic may very well beat McClellin leaving a 1st round draftpick riding the pine.
Unless Shea somehow lands MLB which so far looks even more slim than beating Bostic at SLB.

Looks better for the Bears if their 2nd round LB who started at MLB for most of last season made strides to supplant an aging FA with injury issues leaving their
1st rounder McClellin with a free ride into the SLB position.

Just my opinion that things may play out like that. Although I'd rather best man win and continue to develop the rest.

Not much to elaborate... not only is a ? pretty damn self explanatory in this context, your theory doesn't make much sense.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Which would explain this:

I agree we haven't seen it but how can any of us honestly say anyone is miles and miles ahead of anyone in the lber spots only briggs is proven at this point imho...its gonna be very interesting seeing how the camp battles go in the lbing core

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
The bottom line is this - we don't know who the fuck is going to start at the mike - yes DJ Williams is the only proven vet involved that competition but at the same time we don't know how he is going to hold up. We don't know what types of responsibilities will change from last year to this year at the MLB spot. Whatever Tucker, Pasq, and Herring are doing with the D - it is going to be different than it was last year. Bostic has to be seen in a lot of Cover 1, 3 Deep, and blitzing situations to know exactly what he can bring to the table this year, in 2014, not 2013.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
And uh what reports of him being late and overweight are there?

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
And uh what reports of him being late and overweight are there?

I definitely remember tweets about him missing the first few days of mandatory camps, which was unexpected at least to the media. Thought I also remembered someone saying he wasn't in shape when he showed up but I could very well be wrong about that part