Doug Williams comment about QBs and race

Status
Not open for further replies.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why on earth would you/anyone do that? Williams was gone in 2016. Were there people criticizing Fedora in 2016 for playing Trubisky at QB instead of Williams even though WILLIAMS WAS NO LONGER ON THE TEAM?!

That would be the DUMBEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD. I can't even comprehend the stupidity. I thought Gene Chizik was kind of a fraud at Auburn, and he ended up taking a lot of heat, but I don't recall people complaining in 2011 that Chizik should have been playing Cam Newton more at QB...because they probably realized that Cam Newton was in the NFL and no longer a member of the Auburn program.

I am honestly shocked at your stupidity. You've said a lot of crazy things in the past, sunk to unattainable depths of reasoning, disgraced yourself in vain attempts of 'arguing'....but this takes the cake. A total failure at all levels...comprehension, logic, understanding of subject matter. All a record low.

SMH. You literally tried to look at 47 throws in 2015 to compare the 2 which is mind numbingly stupid.

Williams came into 2015 off of a good year and improved his numbers. Trubs should not have started over the more accomplished player who won more and we can see that his 2016 combined numbers were not considerably better so pretty odd to think those clamoring for him in 2015 were right.

College is not the NFL. Trubs was a raw inexperienced QB and Fedors went with the guy who had alreqdy proven himself at the college level and was rewarded with his best season as UNC coach.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
SMH. You literally tried to look at 47 throws in 2015 to compare the 2 which is mind numbingly stupid.

All the more reason why your comment of their stats being essentially the same is ridiculous.

I also like your implication that Fedora shouldn't have played Trubisky more in 2015 because Trubisky only had 47 pass attempts. Not sure even Yogi Berra could understand that 'logic'.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
All the more reason why your comment of their stats being essentially the same is ridiculous.

I also like your implication that Fedora shouldn't have played Trubisky more in 2015 because Trubisky only had 47 pass attempts. Not sure even Yogi Berra could understand that 'logic'.

The comment was about the years they started. Williams had 4k combined yards and 37 TDs when he started in 2015 and Trubs had 4k combined yards and 36 TDs in 2016

Fedora should not have started Trubs because Williams was the more seasoned incumbant who put up 3,800 yards and 34 TDs the year before (2014). Williams 2015 season overall proved he was right.

Last edited:

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
The comment was about the years they started. Williams had 4k combined yards and 37 TDs when he started in 2015 and Trubs had 4k combined yards and 36 TDs in 2016

Fedora should not have started Trubs because Williams was the more seasoned incumbant who put up 3,800 yards and 34 TDs the year before (2014). Williams 2015 season overall proved he was right.

I never said Trubisky should have started. I have no horse in the race. I was commenting on your summation, which was that their stats were "really not that far off". Its not that complicated.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I never said Trubisky should have started. I have no horse in the race. I was commenting on your summation, which was that their stats were "really not that far off". Its not that complicated.

You commented by ignoring the years I was actually comparing. Reading comprehension is essential. I referenced them both getting around 4k yards and 37 TDs so could not have been referring to the year Trubs made only 47 throws. SMH!

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
You commented by ignoring the years I was actually comparing. Reading comprehension is essential. I referenced them both getting around 4k yards and 37 TDs so could not have been referring to the year Trubs made only 47 throws. SMH!

My apologies. I thought the crucial season when discussing a QB controversy would be the season in which the QB controversy took place (and, by extension, both QBs were on the team). I didn't realize that when discussing a QB controversy, you choose the season based on number of throws, not when the QB controversy took place.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
You claimed the reasons for one over the other was because a coach blindly picked the lesser talented QB. Nowhere did you say the decision was merit based. You even set it up you options as malicious intent or incompetence not merit.

For the last time, no I didn't, dumbass. I said that was claimed by many UNC sportswriters. The merit point was included in separate posts which altogether in the flow of multiple posts between airtime and myself adds to a cohesive stance I made that (again) airtime perfectly understood and engaged with me in good faith.

He is a great example of good discussion across disagreements and is the parallel-universe counterpart to your shit-posting ass.

Last edited:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Reading comprehension is one of the the first casualties on remy's list of how to find (create) a debate (preferably where one least suspects!).

It's like he has a Multiple Personality Disorder where different "people" can apply straw man, circular logic, and appeal to (self) authority.

All personalities however equally thrive in the fallacy of equivocation: (for all those curious that is where a word, phrase, or sentence is used deliberately to confuse, deceive, or mislead by sounding like it’s saying one thing but actually saying something else).

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My apologies. I thought the crucial season when discussing a QB controversy would be the season in which the QB controversy took place (and, by extension, both QBs were on the team). I didn't realize that when discussing a QB controversy, you choose the season based on number of throws, not when the QB controversy took place.

Then you should have said that instead of pretending I was referring to Trubs 2015 season when I clearly was not.

The reason i did not use 2015 for Trubs has already been explained. It is too small and skewed a sample. 47 throws does not tell us much when aside from one game they were at a time when Williams had already won the game.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Then you should have said that

I didn't realize I had to "say that". Like if I was talking about the 1985 Bears being the greatest defense of all-time, I would assume that someone wouldn't use stats such as "But the Bears gave up 40 points in their loss to the Packers!" from a 1989 game. I'm not sure if that is the best analogy, because I am not sure exactly what you have been/are thinking at this point. Again, its not that complicated.

The reason i did not use 2015 for Trubs has already been explained. It is too small and skewed a sample. 47 throws does not tell us much when aside from one game they were at a time when Williams had already won the game.

Already been over this. Repeating yourself doesn't make it any more logical. Again, I didn't realize that when discussing a QB controversy, you choose the season based on number of throws, not when the QB controversy took place.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I am surprised this debate is still going...remy and OJW are really not that far off

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I didn't realize I had to "say that". Like if I was talking about the 1985 Bears being the greatest defense of all-time, I would assume that someone wouldn't use stats such as "But the Bears gave up 40 points in their loss to the Packers!" from a 1989 game. I'm not sure if that is the best analogy, because I am not sure exactly what you have been/are thinking at this point. Again, its not that complicated.

Already been over this. Repeating yourself doesn't make it any more logical. Again, I didn't realize that when discussing a QB controversy, you choose the season based on number of throws, not when the QB controversy took place.

Then you cant read as it was clear what year I was referring to of Trubs based on the stats I referenced. Even if you considered the year I picked wrong then say that instead of disingenuously claiming I was comparing 2015. Your original post was you lying about the comparison being made.

I already gave the reasons for why Williams was the better choice based on the info at the time (he was the incumbent with a better college resume) and I noted that even looking back in hindsight based on what they accomplished Williams was the right choice in 2015.

This isn't that complicated. If he had a large enough sample in 2015 then you consider it. Since he didnt I looked at his stats in a year where he had a large enough sample. Is it ideal? No. But it is a lot better than looking at 47 throws to claim someone should start. Particularly when some of those limited throws were when the game was already decided. Again only Delaware was a game where he actually had more than 7 throws in a game.

Now let me ask. Do you understand why 47 throws may not be considered a significant enough sample to base a conclusion on? Or is this point lost on you?

Last edited:

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Then you cant read as it was clear what year I was referring to of Trubs based on the stats I referenced. Even if you considered the year I picked wrong then say that instead of disingenuously claiming I was comparing 2015. Your original post was you lying about the comparison being made.

I already gave the reasons for why Williams was the better choice based on the info at the time (he was the incumbent with a better college resume) and I noted that even looking back in hindsight based on what they accomplished Williams was the right choice in 2015.

If Trubs had more throws not in garbage time then I would consider his 2015 stats. This isnt thay complicated. If he had a large enough sample in 2015 then you consider it. Since he didnt I looked at his stats in a year where he had a large enough sample. Is it ideal? No. But it is a lot better than looking at 47 throws to claim someone should start.

I can't comprehend what you are thinking. I never blamed Fedora for starting Williams over Trubisky.

I can't control what you use as a means of comparison, regardless of logic (or lack thereof).

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I can't comprehend what you are thinking. I never blamed Fedora for starting Williams over Trubisky.

I can't control what you use as a means of comparison, regardless of logic (or lack thereof).

When the sample size in 2015 is too small then yes. Now let me ask. Do you understand why 47 throws may not be considered a significant enough sample to base a conclusion on? Or is this point lost on you?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
When the sample size in 2015 is too small then yes. Now let me ask. Do you understand why 47 throws may not be considered a significant enough sample to base a conclusion on? Or is this point lost on you?

2nd time: All the more reason why your comment of their stats being essentially the same is ridiculous.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
2nd time: All the more reason why your comment of their stats being essentially the same is ridiculous.

You are being stupid Rory.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/marquise-williams-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/mitch-trubisky-1.html

Williams was more of a threat on the ground but combined their stats are really not that far off. Both had around 4k combined yards and 37 TDs or so. Entirely reasonable for him to stick with Williams as they were competing for the ACC crown with Clemson.

There is no way to read the bold and conclude I was referring to 2015 Trubs. I even posted their stats so a 5th grader would be able to look for the year Trubs had 4k combined yards and around 37 TDs and figure out that year was 2016 and not 2015 so you would really have to be mentally deficient to interpret the above as a comparison between 2015 Williams and 2015 Trubs with his 47 throws.

Can you read at a 5th grade level Rory? You initial response to this is stupid. If you disagree with my using 2016 then just say that. Lying and pretending like the comparison was about 2015 Trubs is just dumb.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
You are being stupid Rory.

There is no way to read the bold and conclude I was referring to 2015 Trubs. I even posted their stats so a 5th grader would be able to look for the year Trubs had 4k combined yards and around 37 TDs and figure out that year was 2016 and not 2015 so you would really have to be mentally deficient to interpret the above as a comparison between 2015 Williams and 2015 Trubs with his 47 throws.

Can you read at a 5th grade level Rory? You initial response to this is stupid. If you disagree with my using 2016 then just say that. Lying and pretending like the comparison was about 2015 Trubs is just dumb.

I can't wait for your upcoming book on this matter..."The QB Controversy That Never Was: A Look Inside the 2016 UNC Football Season"

At this point in the conversation, are you still unclear whether or not I disagree with you using 2016 stats? Really?

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I am surprised this debate is still going...remy and OJW are really not that far off

We aren't even off at all outside of what I meant when I said it vs. what he thinks I meant to say. But he takes particular delight in that for some masochistic reason

Last edited:

Bort

Liked Posts:
I'm too lazy to read the thread. Has anyone mentioned Henry Burris yet?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'm too lazy to read the thread. Has anyone mentioned Henry Burris yet?

Yeah I remember when Jaron put him on the field when he was totally unprepared to out there. In other words Burris was 'set up to fail'

Status
Not open for further replies.