HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

"According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the deal is worth $128 million, including $107 million guaranteed. His contract is now valued at $154 million total over the next six years."

This could backfire catastrophically in their faces if this kid doesn't start staying healthy and playing at his previous level.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'll tell you what. The kid and his agent were hella smart to cash in now when his health is still a looming issue.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That is a stretch at best. I don't miss Dez one bit.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe Trubisky will have a better year, but will still have his share of wtf throws. This is the kinda money you'll have to pony up to resign him...over 100MM. Anyone who thinks a benefit of Mitch being middle-of-the-road is that we could sign him to a reasonable extension is in for a rude awakening. These guys are getting money based on future potential. Not what they really are.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'll tell you what. The kid and his agent were hella smart to cash in now when his health is still a looming issue.

That can work both ways. If he doesn't end up on IR again and they're back deep in the playoffs, it would be even more expensive to sign him later.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I believe Trubisky will have a better year, but will still have his share of wtf throws. This is the kinda money you'll have to pony up to resign him...over 100MM. Anyone who thinks a benefit of Mitch being middle-of-the-road is that we could sign him to a reasonable extension is in for a rude awakening. These guys are getting money based on future potential. Not what they really are.
I mean Wentz already has been a front runner for MVP

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
That can work both ways. If he doesn't end up on IR again and they're back deep in the playoffs, it would be even more expensive to sign him later.
That’s a big big risk, the definition of boom or bust bc that much money will sink your team fast. And you gotta think every hit just weakens his body even more right?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
such a clever thread title

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean Wentz already has been a front runner for MVP

Yeah, Wentz is probably considered better at this point, hence the money.

But I don't think Trubisky is going to be cheap. And my feeling right now is he will get resigned. I wonder if they might try to extend him after this year.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Yeah, Wentz is probably considered better at this point, hence the money.

But I don't think Trubisky is going to be cheap. And my feeling right now is he will get resigned. I wonder if they might try to extend him after this year.
Meh. I feel like Mitch is the type of guy to give us a little bit of a discount and Pace has shown he has the ability to resign guys for cheap. Plus Mitch still has to actually show he’s worth that money still.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
This makes Carson Wentz worth 17% of Philly’s cap space. Nobody has ever won a SB making more than 13.1% of the cap and the only ones to win making more than 11% are Brady, Young, Peyton, and Eli.

True. But the NFL cap has gone up at least 10 million six straight years. Several seasons into that deal (or any deal) and the cap hit percentage with be less than it was at the time of the signing.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
True. But the NFL cap has gone up at least 10 million six straight years. Several seasons into that deal (or any deal) and the cap hit percentage with be less than it was at the time of signing.
But by how much is the question. Enough to make addressing other positions with quality players a reality? And enough to justify a gamble this big with the most important position in sports? Personally I don’t think so.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Mitch wouldn’t want to go anywhere else. Hard to see him wanting to leave Nagy, this culture, and very solid weapons. I think Mitch puts up about 4000 yds, 32 TDs, 16 INTs with a 65% completion rate, and the Bears lock him up for cheaper than this wentz deal.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

The inverse is also true. Wait another year to see if he can remain healthy and if he yet again has a 3rd major injury then he isn't worth as much...assuming you're psychotic enough to still throw millions at an athlete with 3 major injuries in the books in his barely existent NFL career.