Early Returns for the Rookie Class

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Listening to the Hoge and Jahns podcast this week and they have Kevin Fishbain on, and all 3 were effusive in their praise for the early returns on the rookie class.

Montgomery, all 3 agreed that he flashes like Tarik Cohen did a couple of years ago and that some of the moves and cuts that he has made, without pads, have had everyone jumping up. Hoge mentions one swing pass to him where he juked a DB to the ground without him getting a hand on Montgomery. They all agreed based on what they have seen that he is going to be a player and that he looks faster than he times.

Ridley, all 3 again said that Ridley flashes every practice and has been running with the 1s a lot with Miller out and that he is even playing the zebra position which Nagy says is the most difficult to learn. Again all 3 commented about how he looks faster than he timed and that he does not look out of place running with the 1s.

Shelley, they all were impressed with Shelley who has made a number of plays on the ball and looks like a player. Hoge speculated that at some point in training camp they would have to write the story that Shelley was coming after Skrine's job and that he may be the starting NB before the end of the season.

Nice to hear that a big portion of the draft class is looking like they belong.

If Ryan Pace has a good draft with only 5 picks and none in rounds 1-2 that would be something.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Is it still too late to hope for some additional development from the 2018 draftees? I personally get more excited about the UDFAs than the draftees sometimes....

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Rookies have been in camp much longer than the veterans at this point. Not sure that this is really evidence of a strong rookie class. At least everyone came to camp healthy. I would be more concerned with Anthony Miller coming back from injury.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
I listened to that episode as well. I was more encouraged than I thought I would be for an off-season fluff piece.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I notice that they explicitly don't mention Whyte. I'm glad they decided to keep his progress under wraps and don't talk about his dominant athletic traits. I want GB to be surprised when he eats up yardage in the blink of an eye.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Listening to the Hoge and Jahns podcast this week and they have Kevin Fishbain on, and all 3 were effusive in their praise for the early returns on the rookie class.

Montgomery, all 3 agreed that he flashes like Tarik Cohen did a couple of years ago and that some of the moves and cuts that he has made, without pads, have had everyone jumping up. Hoge mentions one swing pass to him where he juked a DB to the ground without him getting a hand on Montgomery. They all agreed based on what they have seen that he is going to be a player and that he looks faster than he times.

Ridley, all 3 again said that Ridley flashes every practice and has been running with the 1s a lot with Miller out and that he is even playing the zebra position which Nagy says is the most difficult to learn. Again all 3 commented about how he looks faster than he timed and that he does not look out of place running with the 1s.

Shelley, they all were impressed with Shelley who has made a number of plays on the ball and looks like a player. Hoge speculated that at some point in training camp they would have to write the story that Shelley was coming after Skrine's job and that he may be the starting NB before the end of the season.

If Ryan Pace has a good draft with only 5 picks and none in rounds 1-2 that would be something.
Apparently, our defense looks slow, huh? :)

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Those 3 are ball players, not surprising. Hall has some pro traits as well, and Denmark is physically blessed. Raymond is a nice dark horse...

I'd lover for the Bears to keep 4 TE's and that to be... 1. Anxiety Groin 2. Shaheen 3. Raymond 4. An offensive tackle.

I've never been a fan of slow blocking TE's that pass block poorly and jump out for a catch every other week like Braunecker and the other one.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
What I am glad about is that Montgomery is really the only one we "need" to be productive, and even that is not completely true if we feel that Davis can fill in where Howard left off.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
IMO DaMonty coming in as a 1st round type of back would really make up for Pace reaching on Trubisky and Shaheen. Really good to hear

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Any updates on our next great white undrafted WR in this camp?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

Fake news. ESPN said that the Bears had the worst offseason.

John Fox. ??

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A bit worried about his long-term health... It would not surprise me if this kind of injury was chronic. Dude's shoulder popped out once last year without anyone touching him or him hitting the ground. That's concerning.
Why you get the surgery. It's optional and specifically to tighten things up and prevent further dislocations.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Those 3 are ball players, not surprising. Hall has some pro traits as well, and Denmark is physically blessed. Raymond is a nice dark horse...

I'd lover for the Bears to keep 4 TE's and that to be... 1. Anxiety Groin 2. Shaheen 3. Raymond 4. An offensive tackle.

I've never been a fan of slow blocking TE's that pass block poorly and jump out for a catch every other week like Braunecker and the other one.

Braunecker is a special teams contributor and probably the 2nd best pass catching TE we have (not including Raymond as he hasnt been on the field with NFL players)....he's also got some speed. Not sure why we havnet utilized him more in the passing game but somehow the coaches stuck with Sims/Brown over him the past few years.

Think he easily makes the team and contributes this year after the obligatory Shaheen injury and Burton panic attack.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Braunecker is a special teams contributor and probably the 2nd best pass catching TE we have (not including Raymond as he hasnt been on the field with NFL players)....he's also got some speed. Not sure why we havnet utilized him more in the passing game but somehow the coaches stuck with Sims/Brown over him the past few years.

Think he easily makes the team and contributes this year after the obligatory Shaheen injury and Burton panic attack.
because he runs like Frankenstein

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll settle down, but I feel there are two UDFA's in this years rookie class that are the 3rd and 4th best TE's on this team, not factoring whatever Sowell will be.

But my personal view of Braunecker is he is so bad the coaching staff actually thought to themselves...

"why can't Sowell be a TE?"