End of game drive, playing to win intead of playing not to lose.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Niners took over with 1:52 remaining in the game and no timouts remaining....as soon as Arob had the first down he should have slid to the ground....he fumbled first play after the two minute warning...it would have been game over.

Nagy talked about it in the press conference...said he should have informed the guys before the play.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
ARob saw daylight and thought he could score. It is bad situational awareness but happens. It is no different than Jackson running the ball out of the end zone instead of taking a knee and getting himself hurt.

Unfortunately when you have aggressive players they sometimes play too aggressively. What makes them fun to watch also makes them maddening sometimes. And occasionally might cost the Bears a game. Other times it will win us one.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
ARob saw daylight and thought he could score. It is bad situational awareness but happens. It is no different than Jackson running the ball out of the end zone instead of taking a knee and getting himself hurt.

Unfortunately when you have aggressive players they sometimes play too aggressively. What makes them fun to watch also makes them maddening sometimes. And occasionally might cost the Bears a game. Other times it will win us one.

Or maybe just have them learn how to protect the ball when they run. Then again, you can't protect against a Peanut punch

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Have them drill ball security with the Secondary peanut punching for the next four weeks

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
San Francisco's ability to pop the ball loose should make for some good discussions and practice this week. Take care of the ball. Take the ball away from the other team. Win the game.

Nagy has balls, and I loved the playcalling on that last drive.

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
The Score was obviously wrong. Thank you to all posters who confirm that #12 lost the ball just after the 2 minute warning.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I watched it as it happened like the rest of you, Robinson goes down, the game is won. some things to take away were that the Bears forced the 49ers to burn ALL their timeouts in succession after the Bears lost one on a challenge (that they lost and I'm not really mad about) and they also ate up nearly half of the 4th quarter. Trubisky may not be a stat monster, but one stat that's very important and overlooked is time of possession, and the Bears I believe have beaten nearly every team this year at that. (or maybe even all, I don't really keep track)

that's the recipe for success against guys like Rodgers, they can't score points if you keep the ball away from them. it's too bad that huge first down Trubisky got led to that fight that took 10 minutes to sort out and guys got ejected. I'll just say it's 800x better of a gameplan vs. Lovie Smith, Trestman, and John Fox with their thumbs up their asses on the sidelines pissing the game away in the final minutes.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy isn't trying to blow anyone out, especially since Trubisky regressed against the Rams. He's gonna ride his defense, manage games and take what the opposing defense gives, but take risks when he has to. Punching it in with Howard isn't as exciting as a gadget play but it's how to win in December.

There have been some glimpses of what this offense can do when playing from behind late - the Giants game for example. Soon enough a game is coming where the Bears will to have to score more than 30 to win, and then we'll see if they can be explosive against a playoff caliber defense or not.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy isn't trying to blow anyone out, especially since Trubisky regressed against the Rams. He's gonna ride his defense, manage games and take what the opposing defense gives, but take risks when he has to. Punching it in with Howard isn't as exciting as a gadget play but it's how to win in December.

There have been some glimpses of what this offense can do when playing from behind late - the Giants game for example. Soon enough a game is coming where the Bears will to have to score more than 30 to win, and then we'll see if they can be explosive against a playoff caliber defense or not.

The coach and the Quarterback are not going to force the ball deep when it isn't there. After Trubisky completed that 50 yard bomb to Arob the 9ers defense kept the extra safety deep and Trubisky and Nagy picked apart the underneath stuff. Its not a matter of choosing to blow people out. It is a matter of what the defense is willing to compromise to prevent deep shots down the field.

All coaches manage a game. If the defense sells out against the deep ball, like the 9ers, the offense's job is to control the ball drive down the field steadily....

Nagy didn't take the ball out of Trubisky's hands. He put the ball in Trubisky's hands. Trubisky carved up the niners CBs and linebackers.

The Bears absolutely owned the TOP and Trubisky was finding his guys for YAC underneath......Gabriel and Miller had an average of about 6 and 5 yards of separation against their defenders respectively....

When the Niners sold out against the deep ball, they fucked their own offense because Trubisky was damn near perfect in keeping the drives going and chewing up the clock.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I watched it as it happened like the rest of you, Robinson goes down, the game is won. some things to take away were that the Bears forced the 49ers to burn ALL their timeouts in succession after the Bears lost one on a challenge (that they lost and I'm not really mad about) and they also ate up nearly half of the 4th quarter. Trubisky may not be a stat monster, but one stat that's very important and overlooked is time of possession, and the Bears I believe have beaten nearly every team this year at that. (or maybe even all, I don't really keep track)

that's the recipe for success against guys like Rodgers, they can't score points if you keep the ball away from them. it's too bad that huge first down Trubisky got led to that fight that took 10 minutes to sort out and guys got ejected. I'll just say it's 800x better of a gameplan vs. Lovie Smith, Trestman, and John Fox with their thumbs up their asses on the sidelines pissing the game away in the final minutes.

Lost in all of that scrum was a holding call that negated the first down

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
The coach and the Quarterback are not going to force the ball deep when it isn't there. After Trubisky completed that 50 yard bomb to Arob the 9ers defense kept the extra safety deep and Trubisky and Nagy picked apart the underneath stuff. Its not a matter of choosing to blow people out. It is a matter of what the defense is willing to compromise to prevent deep shots down the field.

All coaches manage a game. If the defense sells out against the deep ball, like the 9ers, the offense's job is to control the ball drive down the field steadily....

Nagy didn't take the ball out of Trubisky's hands. He put the ball in Trubisky's hands. Trubisky carved up the niners CBs and linebackers.

The Bears absolutely owned the TOP and Trubisky was finding his guys for YAC underneath......Gabriel and Miller had an average of about 6 and 5 yards of separation against their defenders respectively....

When the Niners sold out against the deep ball, they fucked their own offense because Trubisky was damn near perfect in keeping the drives going and chewing up the clock.
I don't disagree with any of this, however if you're down late you don't always have time to take what is being given. You either make plays and score before time runs out or you don't. I am not sure if the Bears can win that way. Here's hoping they don't have to.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I don't disagree with any of this, however if you're down late you don't always have time to take what is being given. You either make plays and score before time runs out or you don't. I am not sure if the Bears can win that way. Here's hoping they don't have to.

Well, they did come back that way in the Giants game. Of course, that wasn't against a playoff team.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, they did come back that way in the Giants game. Of course, that wasn't against a playoff team.
Also they lost. So there's that.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
And that overtime lose was on the offense?
It was a joke. Trubisky didn't play so that game has little to no bearing on my original point anyway.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I loved going for for the first down, and it actually would’ve successfully killed the clock.

This was my exact same gripe at the end of the packer game.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I cant tell you how happy I was with Nagys play calling at the end of the game. In years past we would have ran the ball up the gut 3 times to force the 49ers to use thier timeouts and then punted. The two passes for first downs was Nagy telling the O to go win the game and I for one appreciate the aggressiveness. AR not securing the ball and not treating it like the most important thing in the world at that moment doesn’t take away from this “go win it” mentality for me.

I liked the call and I think the way we were moving the ball against them in the second half, it was the right call. But sometimes it’s not the right call and you punt it. It all depends how the game is going.

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
I understand maybe not taking risks in that situation. But I absolutely hate playing scared. ARob's ball security aside it was a fantastic play-calling & overall execution.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
The play calling makes me happy, and on both sides of the ball.

I know we play a little prevent defense when it is called for, but Fangio has been aggressive at times this year and it is nice to see the Defense being a little unpredictable.