Epstein Could Be Greatest Exec In MLB History

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He also recognized the need for a farm system that was consistent throughout. Green and Director of Scouting Gordon Goldsberry started putting in place a "Cubs way" just as Theo and company have done 30 years later. The philosophies are not dissimilar. The Cubs, before and after Green pre Theo, never had a single methodology or team ideology that went from when a player was drafted until they reached the big leagues. So many guys washed out because things they learned from A ball were thrown out the window with each level they climbed. There was development on individual levels but not system wide. After seeing what Green tried to do and watching teams like the Twins, Cardinals, Red Sox and even the Yankees in their own peculiar fashion had a vision they followed and in translated into World Series appearances and wins. The scattershot approach that the Cubs took in the aughts and other teams try works occasionally (White Sox 2005, Marlins 2003) but more often than not fails. Organizations are improtant and consistency is important. That's one of the reason this is so fun. Aside from Green I never felt there was a plan in place and now I do.

"The Chicago Cubs....building a new tradition"

Kind of works now too, doesn't it?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Slow down turbo. This reminds me of a kid being 13 and pre ejaculating in his pants. Not saying I ever did that.

:(

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Slow down turbo. This reminds me of a kid being 13 and pre ejaculating in his pants. Not saying I ever did that.

:(

Ok, long way to go. But I think most of us are just glad they stayed with the program and realized that these kids are a little ahead of schedule...thus did not make any huge trades that would've cost them young talent. I think they'll know when to pull the trigger and this last trade deadline was not it. Let's just see how far they can go and just enjoy the ride....it's a ride we haven't been on in a very long time.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok, long way to go. But I think most of us are just glad they stayed with the program and realized that these kids are a little ahead of schedule...thus did not make any huge trades that would've cost them young talent. I think they'll know when to pull the trigger and this last trade deadline was not it. Let's just see how far they can go and just enjoy the ride....it's a ride we haven't been on in a very long time.

Bingo bango and I will add. They will go into a lull again before the season is over. Its what young teams do. You just hope it just isn't a long lull. The Giants series was pretty big. We play the Cards and Pirates a good bit still.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bingo bango and I will add. They will go into a lull again before the season is over. Its what young teams do. You just hope it just isn't a long lull. The Giants series was pretty big. We play the Cards and Pirates a good bit still.

Yep....that's when guys like Lester and Arrieta have to show their worth by stopping losing streaks.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Great points about Dallas Green. Too bad the Tribune company sucked royally. I feel the timing is right because of the increased revenue that will be generated in the coming years. Of course nothing is certain - we as Cubs fans know that more than anybody -- but a part of me does feel like the stars are aligning.

God, I hope it works out.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
They will go into a lull again before the season is over. Its what young teams do. You just hope it just isn't a long lull. The Giants series was pretty big. We play the Cards and Pirates a good bit still.

They absolutely will but it's how they react to that going forward that matters. They reacted pretty well to getting swept by Philly, it was clear they didn't like it and it showed. How they react the next time will probably be the difference in how this season goes.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Gotta hope its not a total team offensive slump again as they just got over with..

Yes players are gonna hit the skid again but now they have to hope that as one or two slow down the others keep it going til they all click again, which will hopefully be in October. .

The Rotation, i look at it this way in final 50 games..
Lets say they all have 10 starts left..

Haren and Hendricks need to be no worse then .500 as far as team wins in their 20 starts..

Lester Arrieta and Hammel need to have team win 18-20 combine in their starts ..

Basically need to play .560 or better ball rest of way and if that happens, they will have 90+ wins, which should be enough for a playoff spot..

Liked Posts:
Let me humbly preface this by eating copious amounts of crow. Maybe two years back I thought Theo had delivered a death sentence to Cubs baseball. I looked at our lack of pitching in the farm system and couldn't envision us having the necessary pitching staff/bullpen to win at the major league level. I saw Rizzo, Castro, and Baez as just didn't see enough offense.

Boy was I ignorant. Epstein drafted Bryant and Schwarber and acquired Addison Russell and Jake Arrieta. Then he signed Lester, brought back Hammel and acquired Fowler. Next thing you know we probably have the brightest future of any organization in the league.

Epstein accomplished so much in Boston. He won two World Series and his finger prints were all over their third title. Now he's completely rebuilt one of the most dysfunctional organizations and worst, most crippled rosters in all of baseball into a juggernaut that is primed for a decade-long run. A realistic scenario is making the playoffs seven of the next ten years and breaking through one time to win a World Series. Should that scenario unfold, Theo has to go down as the greatest Exec in MLB history.

He'll have taken the two single biggest challenges in baseball - bringing titles to Boston and Chicago -- and conquering it. Usually I hate being wrong -- but man it feels good. Epstein took so much heat from clowns like me who failed to see his vision but he stayed the course and now look at us. We're on pace for 92 freaking wins - which is way beyond my expectations for a team starting 4 rookies. Has that ever even been done before?

It seems to me like we have a good chance of punching through one of these years over the next decade. And if we do Theo Epstein will be Chicago's greatest sports Hero. He'll be a beloved Icon of unimaginable proportions. Epstein, Hoyer and Maddon are embarking on a quest for sports Holy Grail -- the Cubs World Series Title. I can't think of anything more amazing than being in Chicago when it happens.

Ron Santo and Ernie Banks -- this one is for you. Theo's gonna bring it home for us.

I am smoking on this dank Louie XIV OG Kush. What were you smoking on when you wrote this?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hate the thread

Tat said, there has been plenty of Theo bashing going on over the past few years. Right now those haters must be seething.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Thread title is dumb

BUT...

If Theo breaks the "Curse" in Beantown and Chicago he will be a legend until the end of time

Comes down to can a team win it all built via the farm vs over spending like the Yanks did. I think that the Cubs are doing it the right way. Building a talent well through the farm and spending on key F/A's while trading for talent when they can. Like Arrieta..

It comes down to quality scouting. They have targeted some players who have panned out. They fit the profile they wanted and made it work.

Arrieta. No would have thought he would have excelled to this point. Schwarber was though a buy low move. Theo said he was the best player on the board at that point vs the #16 he was ranked. Guess he knew something...

Goes on and on. These guys know what they are doing and it is nice to see the sit on the couch and talk smack fans...err...haters... watch what is happening right now.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Everything is coming up sevens right now for sure but lets not get overly excited until we see a World Series win. Projecting a prospect's big league potential is always something of a crapshoot. I've seen organizations try the same route (Seattle is a good example) only to see some really good prospects not pan out. I am hoping that the guys we have right now will have a similar level of performance two or three years ago. Justin Smoak is a good example. He looked like a can't miss prospect, was taken in the top five overall in 2008. Seattle traded a lot to get him and he looked like he could be a lock at first base. He never did pan out and now is playing for Toronto is a fill in role. Dustin Ackley is another one, a number two overall pick in 2009 that came on the scene his rookie year and looked like another infielder that couldn't miss. His rookie year he hit 273 but he hasn't been close to 250 since then. He is riding the pine in New York.

I want to see these players in two or three years, then I will talk about Epstein. The guys here have great potential but you still don't know until they actually perform over several years.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Where's Fisch? I miss that kid.

I talked to him about a month ago in PM. I think he got tired of being picked on....mostly in the Bear Forum but also in the Blackhawk Forum as well. Putting his nose to the grindstone in school and making CCS an after thought these days.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I talked to him about a month ago in PM. I think he got tired of being picked on....mostly in the Bear Forum but also in the Blackhawk Forum as well. Putting his nose to the grindstone in school and making CCS an after thought these days.
Yeah. School is more important than this place, but if you talk to him, tell him the guys on the Cubs forum say hello.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fisch dropped in slack the other day. He still stalks. He knows where we all live. Don't worry.