ESPN analyst- bears had worst offseason

EbonyRaptor

Liked Posts:
There are always "ifs" heading into a season and the Bears have a bunch. To name a few: if Montgomery can be the playmaker we hope - that's an upgrade. If the Bears can avoid the injury bug as well as last season - they should be at least as good if not better overall. If the Bears don't lose games because of the kicker - the sky is the limit. If Trubisky takes the next step in his progression - the offense will put up enough points to be a top team.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
:Pace:

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I've already spoken about Amos more times than I can count. I've even provided his snap breakdowns before where you can see clear as day that Adrian Amos is one of the most flexible safeties in the NFL. He is used as a free safety, strong safety and as a linebacker. All of which he has done solidly. If you don't think that represents value to an NFL team and a defensive coordinator then I've got nothing else to say to you. He is a natural at strong safety and plays very well as a linebacker when called to action. He has never been an excellent free safety but he will not be the weakest link of your secondary if he is needed to play free safety either. As long as he remains healthy the dude is going to continue to play well.
So you're saying he does what every safety should do and actually do(to some degree) ?!?! Yes i liked Amos alot but he maybe had a single turnover a season that he actually made an effort to cause. And he lacks them all together. I never said i didnt like him or he was terrible etc he just is a guy and we couldnt afford to pay 10 mill a year for just a guy.... He has had plenty of mistakes too. Please show me examples of haha clintondix being a liability

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
There are always "ifs" heading into a season and the Bears have a bunch. To name a few: if Montgomery can be the playmaker we hope - that's an upgrade. If the Bears can avoid the injury bug as well as last season - they should be at least as good if not better overall. If the Bears don't lose games because of the kicker - the sky is the limit. If Trubisky takes the next step in his progression - the offense will put up enough points to be a top team.
he couldnt be worse than jordan howard last season.... We would be 14-2 if our kicker didnt blow.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What rankings are you talking about Dix being overrated in then? Is it that you ranked him and then considered your ranking overrated? And can't get PFF off my mind. Mentioning it one day in the last 3 months to someone that ascribes to their tomfoolery, yes I am soooo obsessed.

Did I say overranked? Nope, I said overrated. FFS his peers voted him #100 on the top 100 when he wasn't even remotely close to one of the best safeties in the NFL the prior season. GB hasn't exactly been a DB factory in case you haven't noticed. Even with their dysfunction and inability to draft or develop DBs they still didn't retain him. Yet media and players still propped him up as if he was a shining example of the sort of safety you want. To that I say. Fuck. That.

In case you haven't noticed, I never liked him at all. Not when he was coming into the NFL, not when he was drafted by GB, not when he left and sure as fuck not when he was signed onto the team I love.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Did I say overranked? Nope, I said overrated. FFS his peers voted him #100 on the top 100 when he wasn't even remotely close to one of the best safeties in the NFL the prior season. GB hasn't exactly been a DB factory in case you haven't noticed. Even with their dysfunction and inability to draft or develop DBs they still didn't retain him. Yet media and players still propped him up as if he was a shining example of the sort of safety you want. To that I say. Fuck. That.

In case you haven't noticed, I never liked him at all. Not when he was coming into the NFL, not when he was drafted by GB, not when he left and sure as fuck not when he was signed onto the team I love.
Well, since you have no clue how he is going to be used in this defense...or even what this defense is going to be like, I'm glad you werent the one making the decision...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Jack of all trades, master of n
Way to miss the point. Safeties are given a job on any given play and Amos very rarely misses his assignment. That is the definition of what a safety is supposed to do. Everything else is icing on the cake. We used to have a guy that wouldn't take risks paired with a guy who did. Now we have two safeties that will take risks and I 100% guarantee you that people will take notice when Dix makes boneheaded plays trying to get a takeaway and Jackson can't cover it up.
He doesn't always make plays and has always let his man catch the ball before getting there to try and tackle him. That's why he's better at SS, because he sucks as a FS. What you described is a jack of all trades and a master of bates.

Amos is fine as a SS but so what? or didn't you watch his play in the loss to Philly when he didn't have Eddie? He was certainly versatile in that game. He sucked in all phases. Had a pick on a Foles falling backward punt but got a costly penalty and allowed a deep pass he should have been all over. Out of position plenty. Watch what happens when we play the Pack. We'll burn him early and it will fuck with his head and make him tentative. I was not a hater and thought him a good SS with good run support and below average coverage ability but he got way overpaid in a passing league.

Last edited:

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If all you can point to are two plays in a single game as some failure point for Amos as a safety then you've already proven your argument to be shit. Just saying.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
I fully expect the defense to regressive from A+ to A.

I fully expect our offense to progress from C+ to A.

2 A’s =SB

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I fully expect the defense to take a step back in terms of ranking as it is unexpected to stay in 1st place in turnovers and points for consecutive years. I also expect there will be some type injury concern.

I do wonder how the players will step up this year. That is all Fangio talked about as DC is it’s not about adding players but about how the guys on the roster can improve. I expect RRH, mack, Nichols, and Roquan to all improve. I expect Eddie Jackson to play at the level he did last year and or separate as the best safety in the league. I think ha ha will be an upgrade over Amos. I have hopes that Floyd can be something.

I think the real question is if Pagano can get the most out of fuller and amukamara.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Tackles alone are a useless stat for safeties. The only tackles they make that are critical are when they are the last line of defense. Miss that tackle and its a wide open scamper for a score. So really I judge safeties on how well they do their job on any given play. Not just because they flew in for a tackle that several others could have made as well.

Tackling isn't the only knock on Dix btw. He is way too feast or famine for my tastes. Takes unnecessary risks trying to make a play on the ball. The sort of shit that Amos wouldn't go out of his way to do. So be careful what you wish for there. Amos did his job, damn near always and secondarily tried to make a play.
Tackles are a good stat to assess Safeties... although some would say it's not a good sign when a Safety or CB is the team leader for tackles. I watched some highlight vids of Dix in Wash, he looked really good... fast, weaving through traffic and really sticking tackles. I know good play when I see it, but yeah, they were highlights... still good production for joining a new team for their last 9 games. I was pointing out a 'on the brightside' on Dix, so no, I wouldn't be quoting all of his stats. I heard he had some difficulties in GB, so I hope his stick in Wash is a good sign and he plays Safety primarily never missing an assignment, and getting some TO as icing on the cake. Hoping for the best.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If all you can point to are two plays in a single game as some failure point for Amos as a safety then you've already proven your argument to be shit. Just saying.
Never called him a failure and actually said he was a good SS but not nearly the multi facetted superman that you described. Point was that great players step it up at crunch time. You have a jaundiced eye about Amos and anyone that doesn't see him as you do. Amos didn't always make a play. He pretty much made all the tackles that came to him but he often stayed home to long when the read was elsewhere and took himself out of making more plays, especially in the passing game.

Solid enough, reliable tackler but not special nor a heady player which is an important attribute at safety. If he's back in 2 deep, he reacts too slowly and if he covers from in a closer set he trails and loses the ball. He could not start at LB so it's silly to bring up that he can play mini LB. He's definitely more physical than Dix and I'm not saying that Dix is overall better because he's the flip side of the aggression coin but I sure wasn't going to pay Amos what GB did.

Last edited:

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you're gonna keep trading up, trading picks for players, paying top tier FAs what the market commands, then you're not gonna have any ammo left for a splashy off season. I'd say Pace did about as well as he could with what he had, though if Montgomery's critics turn out to be right then that will be on him. He dumped a POS kicker he over-paid, but at least he tried to rectify his mistake. Also, having a coordinator who is so good he gets poached is not the sort of thing you deserve to be criticized for.

To me a bad off season was in 2007 when, after being humiliated in the superbowl, Angelo managed to retain some defensive starters but otherwise just seemed to be throwing in the towel. The Bears proceeded to go 7-9. There is no way this team implodes like that.

The Bears' biggest weakness last year was special teams. Pace drafted a bunch of athletic kids who can plug in there, and went out and traded for the best kicker he could find who wouldn't break the bank. I know everyone expected him to somehow get Gould but that was always a foolish strategy imo.

My best guess is the 2019 Bears have a worse regular season record but win at least one play off game, which is one more than Fox will compete in this year.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Never called him a failure and actually said he was a good SS but not nearly the multi facetted superman that you described. Point was that great players step it up at crunch time. You have a jaundiced eye about Amos and anyone that doesn't see him as you do. Amos didn't always make a play. He pretty much made all the tackles that came to him but he often stayed home to long when the read was elsewhere and took himself out of making more plays, especially in the passing game.

Solid enough, reliable tackler but not special nor a heady player which is an important attribute at safety. If he's back in 2 deep, he reacts too slowly and if he covers from in a closer set he trails and loses the ball. He could not start at LB so it's silly to bring up that he can play mini LB. He's definitely more physical than Dix and I'm not saying that Dix is overall better because he's the flip side of the aggression coin but I sure wasn't going to pay Amos what GB did.

No. As a matter of fact its not pointless to reiterate the fact that Fangio moved him all over the defensive backfield to great effect. He has played enough FS and SS that he is solid at both but far better at SS based on his last season. Fangio deployed Amos in many ways. It is in fact the definition of schematic flexibility enabled by the player he had at his disposal. If you choose to ignore that, that is on you. But Fangio did in fact deploy Amos as a linebacker in his scheme whether it was post or pre-snap doesn't matter.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
But Fangio did in fact deploy Amos as a linebacker in his scheme whether it was post or pre-snap doesn't matter.
Please define deploying a safety as a linebacker post snap. WTF does that even mean? And honestly even show me where he had him line up as a LB. Bringing a safety into the box is not lining him up at LB.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Xero's obsession with Amos is the CCS version of the co-worker that keeps telling you how hot Renée Zellweger is.

Disagree on both counts. Xero's caping for Amos is overranked/overrated. I thought Zellweger was hot before all the botox.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Disagree on both counts. Xero's caping for Amos is overranked/overrated. I thought Zellweger was hot before all the botox.
So sort of a pre-snap hottie but a post-snap uggo?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Are you serious right now? Or just being a cunt for effect?