ESPN Player Poll Regarding Managers

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The pitcher hitting #8 was in theory to stack OBA ahead of the top of the order. Then moving the 3/4 hitters up to 2/3 thus getting the top 2 bats AB's in the 1st inning. Fowler in general has been just bad. Mostly against RH pitching. Russell has been slow in his adapting to major league pitching. But due to his age that is not a bad thing. The fact he is hitting above .200 says something about his potential right now.

The thing is the Cubs have had strong performances over the past few years. Like Sori having a come back season. Rizzo's break out last year with Arrieta and Castro. And it did not push the record over .500. For that matter close to. Rick IMO was the closest thing to quality that they had.

So the bottom line is W/L reflects on the manager. A player is not getting fired for a 60 win season. A manager does. So the reverse has to be true. If a team wins 100 games you can't just say it was only the players doing it and the manager has no impact.

Now do they need more talent? Well yes but I'm not sold on selling the farm for the quick result. We saw the Pads do that and well they plain suck. Talent does not equal wins.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Oh and Pat. Don't ref. K/B to me. Dude is pretty much crazy and I'm glad he is boxed into the old site now. As pathetic as it has become now. He can have his pointless arguments with Wrigg now.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The pitcher hitting #8 was in theory to stack OBA ahead of the top of the order. Then moving the 3/4 hitters up to 2/3 thus getting the top 2 bats AB's in the 1st inning. Fowler in general has been just bad. Mostly against RH pitching. Russell has been slow in his adapting to major league pitching. But due to his age that is not a bad thing. The fact he is hitting above .200 says something about his potential right now.

The thing is the Cubs have had strong performances over the past few years. Like Sori having a come back season. Rizzo's break out last year with Arrieta and Castro. And it did not push the record over .500. For that matter close to. Rick IMO was the closest thing to quality that they had.

So the bottom line is W/L reflects on the manager. A player is not getting fired for a 60 win season. A manager does. So the reverse has to be true. If a team wins 100 games you can't just say it was only the players doing it and the manager has no impact.

Now do they need more talent? Well yes but I'm not sold on selling the farm for the quick result. We saw the Pads do that and well they plain suck. Talent does not equal wins.

Managers help to maximize the players but do not actual contribute to wins. They can cause losses though by making the wrong moves. You want a manager to minimize the bad moves. Joe does that of sorts. I still want him on the Sox, but I have to admit him batting the pitcher 8th and the success of Tampa cools me off some on Joe.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
:lol: The typical superiority complex shines thru again.
Ah. So it takes a superiority complex to recognize that it's highly likely Maddon and Hoyerstein have a better grasp of stats and their team than some wannabes? OK. :rolleyes:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Managers help to maximize the players but do not actual contribute to wins. They can cause losses though by making the wrong moves. You want a manager to minimize the bad moves. Joe does that of sorts. I still want him on the Sox, but I have to admit him batting the pitcher 8th and the success of Tampa cools me off some on Joe.
A team that is 2 games over .500 in a very weak division is what you consider success?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Ah. So it takes a superiority complex to recognize that it's highly likely Maddon and Hoyerstein have a better grasp of stats and their team than some wannabes? OK. :rolleyes:

Deflecting again to illogical debate tactics.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
So, IOW, you think you're smarter than Epstein, Hoyer and Maddon and could put a better lineup together...one that would have the Cubs with all their warts and growth issues better than the 7th best winning percentage in the MLB? LOL.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
So, IOW, you think you're smarter than Epstein, Hoyer and Maddon and could put a better lineup together...one that would have the Cubs with all their warts and growth issues better than the 7th best winning percentage in the MLB? LOL.

Typical

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Was wondering when you'd remember to pull that one out of your hat. I miss the smart Parade_Rain
In case you didn't see it in another thread, I would like to see a bit different lineup, too, but I wouldn't suggest the pitcher hitting in the 8 hole is a loser move. I am not privy to certain stats nor do I have the time to dig into certain stats to worry if I am right. My suggestion to a lineup is what I see as a fan, just as anyone else's is. Yet stepping back and looking at what this team us, outside of getting swept by the Marlins in Florida, they have done about what many have thought. Now you might ask how many more victories would they have if they batted the pitcher 9th. The answer would likely be 0. Your position isn't so easily defendable.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
In case you didn't see it in another thread, I would like to see a bit different lineup, too, but I wouldn't suggest the pitcher hitting in the 8 hole is a loser move. I am not privy to certain stats nor do I have the time to dig into certain stats to worry if I am right. My suggestion to a lineup is what I see as a fan, just as anyone else's is. Yet stepping back and looking at what this team us, outside of getting swept by the Marlins in Florida, they have done about what many have thought. Now you might ask how many more victories would they have if they batted the pitcher 9th. The answer would likely be 0. Your position isn't so easily defendable.

The answer is we will never know. What we do know is that the team has cost itself scoring opportunities by batting the pitcher eighth. Would that be more runs? Probably. Enough to win more games? Maybe. That's about the best we can do. It's Joe hurting the team's chances of winning by putting out that lineup.

EDIT: eighth

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The answer is we will never know. What we do know is that the team has cost itself scoring opportunities by batting the pitcher ninth. Would that be more runs? Probably. Enough to win more games? Maybe. That's about the best we can do. It's Joe hurting the team's chances of winning by putting out that lineup.

Proof?