Eurich's Final Roster 53

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2127583-projected-chicago-bears-final-53-man-roster-pre-training-camp-edition

Relatively safe and sane.....

The only things that I disagree with is:

LBs - Jordon Senn makes the 53 as the Special Teams Ace he was signed as.......Eurich should know this...

QB - Fales is off to the PS.....NOT on the active roster....to be poached or not....need that spot for someone other than a clipboard holder.

TE - Other than the Black Unicorn....the second seat on the 53 is in play.....I am starting to suspect that Trestman will be looking for a TE that can catch....as they will be using Eben Britton as a situational Heavy Blocking TE . (our Zach Miller?! Mulligan?!) yet...Rosario Dawson is soooo hot.

CB - I'm not sold that either or both Frey of Hayden make the 53 Roster. I think that a case can be made for "The Kids"
(Demontre Hurst & C.J. Wilson) to step up. Frey is redundant with the addition of our No.#1 draft pick Kyle Fuller and Tim Jennings ability to move to the Nickle........And Hayden is ...oft injured.....slow....and old.......he did not look good when on the field last year....."toast" to much faster WRs on the sideline.....

BearsFanBen

Liked Posts:
I'm not sold on Hayden being on the roster. I seem to remember him getting burned a lot out of the slot, specifically against Green bay two years ago.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jim Harbaugh called Fales one of the top-5 QBs in the draft last year. If Fales winds up cut then he gets poached before he hits the practice squad.

Top 5 QBs in a draft doesn't mean shit. When has the 5th best QB in a given draft been anything but trash?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wait. Our 4th round pick isn't worth much consideration because he's, well, a 4th rounder but our 6th round pick is a hot commodity? Because most teams already had 6 chances to drat him? I liked the pick and yes he could get snatched but likely not if he likes it here. I doubt he makes somebody else's active roster if we don't showcase him and he does very well in the pre. Seems like we're downplaying him and may hide him some in the pre.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
final 53 before training camp...

BURRRRP

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2127583-projected-chicago-bears-final-53-man-roster-pre-training-camp-edition

LBs - Jordon Senn makes the 53 as the Special Teams Ace he was signed as.......Eurich should know this...

QB - Fales is off to the PS.....NOT on the active roster....to be poached or not....need that spot for someone other than a clipboard holder.

TE - Other than the Black Unicorn....the second seat on the 53 is in play.....I am starting to suspect that Trestman will be looking for a TE that can catch....as they will be using Eben Britton as a situational Heavy Blocking TE . (our Zach Miller?! Mulligan?!) yet...Rosario Dawson is soooo hot.

CB - I'm not sold that either or both Frey of Hayden make the 53 Roster. I think that a case can be made for "The Kids"
(Demontre Hurst & C.J. Wilson) to step up. Frey is redundant with the addition of our No.#1 draft pick Kyle Fuller and Tim Jennings ability to move to the Nickle........And Hayden is ...oft injured.....slow....and old.......he did not look good when on the field last year....."toast" to much faster WRs on the sideline.....

Frey was a really good special teams player until he had to see the field too much due to injury. He didnt even do too badly when called upon. I think his spot is safe. I imagine he is much better than most team's 4th WR.

EDIT - I am rooting for Mulligan as our backup TE.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...final-53-man-roster-pre-training-camp-edition

Interesting roster guess. A safe guess.

I also think Senn makes the roster for ST. Tough to say who's out as a result... I would think Trevor Scott or Josh Morgan.
I could see someone replace Hayden, like Wilson, Hurst, Louis-Jean or Tice. Doubt anyone knocks Frey out.
I predict Lynch over Ford. I think Casey & Williams makes Ford redundant. Lynch adds to the team.
Fales is a lock. Haven't seen anything of Palmer or Clausen to make a call at that. There could be another vet by the end of preseason.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm sure we are going to put Fales on the PS along with Tolliver and a couple Olinemen plus a Dlinemen or two plus a CB.
I think we go with 7 LBs this year 8 OL and 10 DL 6 WRs 4 RBs 3 QBs. We will probably carry one less safety or Cb than normal and add a backup to the PS there.
We might just have Cutler and Claussen on the 53 with Palmer waived and ready to go if needed with Fales on the PS. I think it will be more important for the team to keep a LBer Olinemen Dlinemen Safety / CB on the 53 than a 3rd QB....

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

I think you gotta keep Jones over Senn at LB. May lose something on special teams, but I'd rather have the guy capable of actually playing LB considering DJ will get hurt at some point and Briggs is 35 and just missed 1/2 a season. I think a lot depends on if guys like Steltz, McManis, McCray, or Weems make the team. All have very good experience at a high level of special teams performance in their past.

Fales needs to make the team. They used a draft pick on him, he should be worth keeping based on that fact alone. I don't see him making it to the practice squad.

I'd really like to go with the pass catcher at TE. Britton can be the blocking TE again, if necessary. Zach Miller could be a half decent weapon for the offense.

At CB, I agree, go with the young guys. I really like what I saw from Hurst in preseason last year. I think he can play a little. CJ Wilson wasn't very good on special teams last year, but I did like his potential coming out of college as a CB, and he can really run.

If I had to guess right now:

QB (3)- Cutler, Palmer, Fales. Clausen stuff is overblown. His experience is experience at playing terrible. Palmer knows the offense and has experience mentoring young QBs, including Fales.

RB (4)- Forte, Carey, Fiametta, Ford. I love Lynch as a college player, but he's not an NFL ready player. Ford showed in preseason last year he can get some tough yards inside. I also think he has underrated hands and speed. Most likely to be a better special teamer than Lynch too, since he did it last year some too.

WR (6)- Marshall, Jeffery, Wilson, Morgan, Williams, Weems. Could see keeping just 5 of these guys because you have 2 guys that aren't coming off the field. I think Morgan is a really good #4 WR. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the field a bunch this year. Certainly much more than Wilson, Anderson, etc. last season. Williams wins the PR job. Weems is a good special teamer.

TE (2)- Bennett, Miller. Britton helps out here. Fiametta can help out as an H-back in pass blocking. Also, Bennett had shoulder issues and couldn't block much last year. So, he helps more in blocking this year, especially with a better #4 WR.

OL (8)- Bushrod, Slauson, Garza, Long, Mills, Britton, DelaPuente, Leno Jr. Rookie makes it over James Brown, who wasn't active very often last year.

DL (10)- Allen, Houston Young, Scott, Bass, Paea, Sutton, Ferguson, Ratliff, Collins. Washington has a ton of potential, but doesn't make it without ST ability. Think Scott can play an Idonije type role on special teams. I could also see them keeping an eye on the waiver wire to potentially get someone better than Collins.

LB (6)- Briggs, Williams, McClellin, Bostic, Greene, Jones. Like I said, Senn has no chance of being adequate on defense. The Bears have enough special teamers. Jones is too talented to lose for a player like Senn. Rest are locks, IMO, even Greene.

CB (6)- Tillman, Jennings, Fuller, Frey, McManis, Hurst. When in doubt, go young. Vet Hayden gets the benefit of having a chance to catch on with another team rather than being the 5th or 6th CB here. Frey is better than Hayden inside. Fuller gets first crack outside if Tillman goes down again. Hurst shows enough to be trusted in an emergency outside.

S (5)- Mundy, Conte, Vereen, McCray, MD Jennings. Hope Adrian Wilson has something left, but it's doubtful. With Conte's injury, Vereen being a rookie, and McCray's familiarity with the ST coach, the Bears keep 5 here.

ST (3)- Gould, O'Donnell, Hartson. Draft pick makes it over Way, though I like Tress a lot. Like was said, Hartson got the nod last year when Mannelly was out. Gets it again.

Practice squad- RB- Lynch, OL- Ola, OL- Groy, S- Trice, LB- Lattimore, then a DT and a CB off waivers.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...final-53-man-roster-pre-training-camp-edition

Trestman has already stated that he wants a blocking TE for his 2nd TE.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have a theory that if they are impressed by Fales but still want to hide him on the PS then they'll ask him to do way more than is expected of a rook during preseason and if he struggles, it will be easier to stash him on the PS and if he ends up performs well even with the extra load then they'll make room on the roster for fear of losing him.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I'm sure we are going to put Fales on the PS along with Tolliver and a couple Olinemen plus a Dlinemen or two plus a CB.
I think we go with 7 LBs this year 8 OL and 10 DL 6 WRs 4 RBs 3 QBs. We will probably carry one less safety or Cb than normal and add a backup to the PS there.
We might just have Cutler and Claussen on the 53 with Palmer waived and ready to go if needed with Fales on the PS. I think it will be more important for the team to keep a LBer Olinemen Dlinemen Safety / CB on the 53 than a 3rd QB....
Based on college & OTAs, Fales skills & our WCO, there's no chance Fales goes to PS. He was the most accurate & experienced QB in the draft, he's a perfect fit. In TC/Preseason, Fales would have to become a total disaster. QBs are mega-targets after final cuts.

The 11th QB drafted, within 32 spots of Aaron Murray, AJ McCarron & Zach Mettenberger; all solid talents. It's just how the draft went this year. Don't let the 6th round fool you. Teams don't want to put draft picks on the PS. That indicates a mistake. There's no indication of a mistake on Fales, especially considering our backups to Cutler are currently Palmer & Clauson.

I have a theory that if they are impressed by Fales but still want to hide him on the PS then they'll ask him to do way more than is expected of a rook during preseason and if he struggles, it will be easier to stash him on the PS and if he ends up performs well even with the extra load then they'll make room on the roster for fear of losing him.
Interesting scenario. I really doubt it. You may be forget a very long history of NFL-thought that you can permanently damage the mind/nerves of a QB by throwing them to the wolves. Trestman is way way way too ethical unleash your plan on Fales.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I think you gotta keep Jones over Senn at LB. May lose something on special teams, but I'd rather have the guy capable of actually playing LB considering DJ will get hurt at some point and Briggs is 35 and just missed 1/2 a season. I think a lot depends on if guys like Steltz, McManis, McCray, or Weems make the team. All have very good experience at a high level of special teams performance in their past.

Fales needs to make the team. They used a draft pick on him, he should be worth keeping based on that fact alone. I don't see him making it to the practice squad.

I'd really like to go with the pass catcher at TE. Britton can be the blocking TE again, if necessary. Zach Miller could be a half decent weapon for the offense.

At CB, I agree, go with the young guys. I really like what I saw from Hurst in preseason last year. I think he can play a little. CJ Wilson wasn't very good on special teams last year, but I did like his potential coming out of college as a CB, and he can really run.

If I had to guess right now:

QB (3)- Cutler, Palmer, Fales. Clausen stuff is overblown. His experience is experience at playing terrible. Palmer knows the offense and has experience mentoring young QBs, including Fales.

RB (4)- Forte, Carey, Fiametta, Ford. I love Lynch as a college player, but he's not an NFL ready player. Ford showed in preseason last year he can get some tough yards inside. I also think he has underrated hands and speed. Most likely to be a better special teamer than Lynch too, since he did it last year some too.

WR (6)- Marshall, Jeffery, Wilson, Morgan, Williams, Weems. Could see keeping just 5 of these guys because you have 2 guys that aren't coming off the field. I think Morgan is a really good #4 WR. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the field a bunch this year. Certainly much more than Wilson, Anderson, etc. last season. Williams wins the PR job. Weems is a good special teamer.

TE (2)- Bennett, Miller. Britton helps out here. Fiametta can help out as an H-back in pass blocking. Also, Bennett had shoulder issues and couldn't block much last year. So, he helps more in blocking this year, especially with a better #4 WR.

OL (8)- Bushrod, Slauson, Garza, Long, Mills, Britton, DelaPuente, Leno Jr. Rookie makes it over James Brown, who wasn't active very often last year.

DL (10)- Allen, Houston Young, Scott, Bass, Paea, Sutton, Ferguson, Ratliff, Collins. Washington has a ton of potential, but doesn't make it without ST ability. Think Scott can play an Idonije type role on special teams. I could also see them keeping an eye on the waiver wire to potentially get someone better than Collins.

LB (6)- Briggs, Williams, McClellin, Bostic, Greene, Jones. Like I said, Senn has no chance of being adequate on defense. The Bears have enough special teamers. Jones is too talented to lose for a player like Senn. Rest are locks, IMO, even Greene.

CB (6)- Tillman, Jennings, Fuller, Frey, McManis, Hurst. When in doubt, go young. Vet Hayden gets the benefit of having a chance to catch on with another team rather than being the 5th or 6th CB here. Frey is better than Hayden inside. Fuller gets first crack outside if Tillman goes down again. Hurst shows enough to be trusted in an emergency outside.

S (5)- Mundy, Conte, Vereen, McCray, MD Jennings. Hope Adrian Wilson has something left, but it's doubtful. With Conte's injury, Vereen being a rookie, and McCray's familiarity with the ST coach, the Bears keep 5 here.

ST (3)- Gould, O'Donnell, Hartson. Draft pick makes it over Way, though I like Tress a lot. Like was said, Hartson got the nod last year when Mannelly was out. Gets it again.

Practice squad- RB- Lynch, OL- Ola, OL- Groy, S- Trice, LB- Lattimore, then a DT and a CB off waivers.
Jones - I agree. Just based on his talent, poor performing Bostic & Greene, Shea chg of position, I think he's making the 53.
Senn - I expect to keep 7 LBs. Current coaches are valuing ST, though he's a bubble player.

OL - I could see us going 8 OL. Delapuenta is solid G backup, Trest likes Britton. Not sure about Leno. There's room on PS. Don't know who best T backup is. Mills obviously beatout Britton & Brown, & they drafted Leno.

DL - Could see 10. I'd put Scott on the bubble.

S - Totally disagree on keeping 5 Safety, simply because talent & ST ability isn't there, EXCEPT for ST ace Steltz. They'll keep 4, likely Mundy/Vereen Steltz/Conte. Not only does Steltz dwarf McCray at ST, Steltz has played S well for us. Jennings & Wilson certainly have potential to beat Conte.

WR - I could see that 6, but with the receptions Forte/Bennett get, we don't really need Wilson & Morgan. Williams returner & stretch-field speed WR. So I don't see Morgan a better ST player than Weems, Senn, Steltz, etc.

RB - Still developing for sure. I think Ford is a solid 3rd RB, especially cause he's decent ST & returner backup. But Trest doesn't use a 2nd RB, so not a lot of value in the 3rd RB. I think Forte, Carey, Williams & Weems makes Ford redundant. Lynch is doing well, I think he adds a 3rd RB dimension to Forte/Carey. We'll see.

TE - Rosario, Miller, Mulligan... who knows, who cares. I think Rosario is most likely.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
People are underestimating Morgan. He's a year removed from starting 15 games and catching 48 passes. Nothing major, but he's a very competent WR for a team that has a projected #3 right now who is one of the youngest players in the league and caught 1 pass last year. I think you need to keep Morgan in case Wilson implodes. Going to FL and gaining 15lbs of muscle is fine and good, but if he can't run routes, catch, and make plays then what's the point? Morgan, you know, can at least duplicate Earl Bennett's production from last year.

Also, Steltz has not played safety well. He has like 14 tackles in his last start, but most of them were way down the field after Peterson previously ran right by him. He's also not anything special on special teams. Not that McCray is, but I gave him the nod over Steltz due to his ability to play FS over SS, though you don't want either on the field.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
Top 5 QBs in a draft doesn't mean shit. When has the 5th best QB in a given draft been anything but trash?

The 6th best (according to draft position) QB in the 1983 draft wasn't bad. Guy named Dan Marino.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Michael Wright slots the following for our DL........I will be interested in seeing what David Bass does at TC. My suspicion is that he grabs the last seat on the DL for the 53 Roster....

DEFENSIVE LINE (10)

Jared Allen
Lamarr Houston
Willie Young
Jeremiah Ratliff
Stephen Paea
Ego Ferguson
Will Sutton
Nate Collins
Trevor Scott
Austen Lane

Look for veterans at the bottom of the roster such as Scott, Lane and Collins to be pushed tremendously by several of the youngsters at training camp. Injuries in 2013 made this position group a weakness, but the Bears made sure to load up on the defensive line through the draft and free agency.

JaySix

Liked Posts:
The 6th best (according to draft position) QB in the 1983 draft wasn't bad. Guy named Dan Marino.
and he was a 1st round pick....

you could've at least used Brady as your example...

IMO you shouldn't get your hopes up on a late round QB, you are extremely likely to get disappointed.....

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Michael Wright slots the following for our DL........I will be interested in seeing what David Bass does at TC. My suspicion is that he grabs the last seat on the DL for the 53 Roster....

DEFENSIVE LINE (10)

Jared Allen
Lamarr Houston
Willie Young
Jeremiah Ratliff
Stephen Paea
Ego Ferguson
Will Sutton
Nate Collins
Trevor Scott
Austen Lane

Look for veterans at the bottom of the roster such as Scott, Lane and Collins to be pushed tremendously by several of the youngsters at training camp. Injuries in 2013 made this position group a weakness, but the Bears made sure to load up on the defensive line through the draft and free agency.

We have so many veterans at the TOP of the roster that we should be more worried about adding youngsters to the bottom.