Favorite DBs

winterwarz

Name your FAVORITE (doesn't necessarily mean best ever) Bears S and CB (one of each)

Why? Because it's July.

S
MikeBrown4.jpg

CB
Donnell-Woolford1.jpg

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Mark Carrier, Donnell Wolford.

One of my friends had a photo from inside Donnell's house where he had one of his rooms carpeted like a football field with his own signature on the corner. I guess you've got to have a bit of an ego to play in the NFL...lol.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mark Carrier, Donnell Wolford.

One of my friends had a photo from inside Donnell's house where he had one of his rooms carpeted like a football field with his own signature on the corner. I guess you've got to have a bit of an ego to play in the NFL...lol.

u stolt mah post brah

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
CB - LA Mike Richardson made lots of amazing plays. Loved to watch him. Very underrated.

Safety - Fencik and also Plank, Brown, Gayle.

Love watching Tillman too. Certainly Carrier, Worford & Frazier were some of the best.

stats guy

Liked Posts:
Tillman and Brown. Mostly because those were the best ones I watched closely. I really got into football in Lovie's first year. Honorable mention to Chris Harris.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Liked Posts:
No love for Fencik & Leslie Frazier? I thought Frazier had become a lockdown CB in 1983 up until he was hurt in the 85 SB. I thought he was a true lockdown CB once he hit his stride as a player up until he was hurt. I couldn't have been easy to shut down opposing WR's on the outside in Buddy Ryans 46 defense that brought as much extra pressure as it did. CB's in that defense were often on their own in man & press coverage. There wasn't much releasing the WR's to the safeties like the Bears have done a lot of in more recent years. Frazier had to hold it down on the outside without much help.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Tillman & Mike Brown. Brown was awesome.

Liked Posts:
Tillman & Mike Brown. Brown was awesome.

I like Tillman a lot but to this day I still think he'd have to play safety in the 46 that guys like Frazier were able to thrive in at CB until he was hurt in the SB. Tillman has been an excellent zone CB who can even play some man & press coverage. Though I don't believe that he has the speed to play man coverage every single down like guy like Frazier was able to do. Tillman is able to make up for that by playing good press coverage & bumping opposing WR's off their routes. Still though, Tillmans exceptional tackling & play as a primarily zone defender lead me to think he'd be more of a safety in the 46 which I do believe was/is a system that playing CB was more difficult than what it is for the CB's in the Bears current system.

I used to love Mike Browns play but damn his injuries were frustrating. He would get hurt, make it back, I'd get my hopes up, & he'd end up injured again. Great player, just a lot of nagging injuries towards the tail end of his career as a Bear.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I like Tillman a lot but to this day I still think he'd have to play safety in the 46 that guys like Frazier were able to thrive in at CB until he was hurt in the SB.

Kind of hard to give credit to CBs in a defense that was setting records for sacks every season. The mid 80s Bears front 7 was probably one of the best EVER assembled in an innovative defense meant to put real pressure on the QB. Not that Frazier or Richardson were bad, but guys like Tillman and Woolford would've likely beast moded in that D during that time.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Having been born in the mid 80s, and living for the most part in other markets, I didnt get to see much Bears action until I moved to the UP in the late 90s.

As such, my favorite DB is Mike Brown.

Liked Posts:
Kind of hard to give credit to CBs in a defense that was setting records for sacks every season. The mid 80s Bears front 7 was probably one of the best EVER assembled in an innovative defense meant to put real pressure on the QB. Not that Frazier or Richardson were bad, but guys like Tillman and Woolford would've likely beast moded in that D during that time.

I don't know about that. Having very smart & talented bump & run man/press cover CB's will allow a defense like the 46 to bring extra pressure the way that it was able to against all of the pure WC offenses that got ball out quick. Ryan's 46 didn't get all of the pressure that he did by rushing a flat 4, they did with bringing five, six, seven or eight guys every down. In order to do that there has to be an upper echelon of talent at all 4 DB positions. IMO, before his injury, Frazier was a lot better than just "not bad".

Woolford was a beast & still had to be a smart primarily man/press cover CB in Tobins Stack 23, 4-3 base defense that also brought a lot of extra pressure. He was a beast & like Frazier was expected to play a lot of Cover 0 Technique with no help over the top from the Safety, & I do believe could have also played in Ryans 46. I love Tillman, but I'm just not sure he'd thrive the way that he has playing constant man coverage without getting help down the field in a bracket from the safety, as he often has when asked to play man coverage. Tillman makes up for a lack of speed with smart, physical play, excellent tackling/run defense & bumping WR's off their routes inside of 5 yards. I do think Tillman could thrive in the 46, but as safety. IMO he's been the best zone cover/run defending CB the league has to offer & should be a HOF'er. Take aways are take aways & Tillman gets plenty of them, I think he should be a HOF'er, but I do believe Frazier would have earned himself a place among the elite as a pure bump & run man/press cover CB had it not been for his knee injury during 1985 SB.

A defense bringing pressure shouldn't always downplay the talent at the CB or Safety positions, especially when it's applied with bringing more than just a 4 man rush. In that case usually means the CB's & Safeties have to be that much better, & able to hold their own without much or any help in order to allow a DC to bring extra guys. In Fraziers case it was against offenses that were pure WC offenses that attempted to get the ball out quick to help relieve some of that extra pressure.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Mike Brown was one of the most exciting players to watch in the NFL during his time. Every time he got his hands on the ball I felt like he was going to take it to the house. The way he delivered a hit was just awesome to watch.

Peanut is an obvious one but I will go with Jennings. Jennings has been a pick machine and has really elevated his game since joining the Bears. Usually one of the smallest guys on the field but backs down from no one. He's a scrappy trash talker on the field yet quiet off the field. I also gained a lot of appreciation for him last year when he was the only consistently effective player on a historically terrible D.