February Mock Offseason

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I agree that we should not over extend at the SS spot with Jackson being the real star.

I think they need to set a hard cap at 7/season on any Amos conversation. That is solid starter money, which he is, and would not really hurt them moving forward.

Amos is very consistent and that has value. He does not blow coverages or miss tackles and that consistency allows the DC and other players to take more risks around him.

i'd rather get a comp pick and have bush as the SS.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
We've spent years with a roster full of SS who can hit, but can't cover for shit.

Maybe I'm being an asshole, but I don't see Amos as anything irreplacable.

He is a good safety, but anyone breaking the bank on a SS like Amos is, IMO, wasting cap space.

I would be surprised if we couldn't find a SS to plug in next to Eddie Jackson.

I feel like we've stacked up SS types like Amos for years.

What's Al Afalava or Kevin Payne doing these days?

Comparing Amos to these two turds is laughable.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
So we signing 2 RBs and drafting one. Just so Nagy can rush 7 times for 30 yards?

Sign one of Ware or Hunt but not both. Cohen and rookie can hold down RB until Hunt ready as not like Nagy runs a ton anyways.

didnt the bears rank towards the top 10 in rush attempts?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So we signing 2 RBs and drafting one. Just so Nagy can rush 7 times for 30 yards?

Sign one of Ware or Hunt but not both. Cohen and rookie can hold down RB until Hunt ready as not like Nagy runs a ton anyways.

Actually we gonna keep Howard and sign a few others as well.

We will have a minimum of 10 RBs and they only get 1 carry per game.

If the carry does not go for at least 5 yards, they get a strike.

After 3 strikes, they are executed behind Halas Hall.

It's a bold strategy.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

They would not be paying them anything.

Ware is a 1.5 million dollar insurance policy that the rookie is not ready.

If Hunt is suspended 6 games or less I would probably not sign Ware and just roll with the rookie.

Ditka Rulz

Liked Posts:
Windy, don't you think now would be a good time for the Bears to sign RRH to a longer contract. I would think it would be a good time for a low risk high reward contract for the Bears. He seems to be a guy who will be a solid starter and has shown the potential for more. I was thinking a 3 year deal for around 10 million would benifit both parties. Very reasonable deal for a starter with potential. Just wanted you opinion since it is obvious he will be brought back for next year. I just think if he improves a good amount he will be another starter that will be looking for a payday in 2020.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Draft

3[87] S Amani Hooker [Iowa] 6' 210lbs.

If Amos leaves the Bears have a hole at SS and they need someone who can compete with Bush and maybe even replace him if he does not step up in the role. Hooker would give them a little more in coverage than Bush. He had 4 INTs and 7 PD this season and flashes more range than I think the Bears saw from Amos. Hooker was used as a dime LB as well to cover backs and TEs and in a defense that blitzs more having that diverse skill set is important. Jackson playing deep middle, Hooker on the TE, and Callahan and Roquan blitzing is how I see him being used.

:cum::cum::cum::cum:

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Windy, I wanted to thank you for all the effort you put into these mocks, especially this year when our 1st and 2nd round picks are gone.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Love the hooker pick.

Agree with grabbing Ware, but I feel like signing him and drafting a RB does create too much chaos in the backfield. Obviously if you trade howard you can't really depend on a 5th round pick and cohen to be the lead backs for 6 games games tho.

I really do believe the hunt signing will happen, it will just be interesting to see if they keep howard or not. For Howards sake, I hope they don't. I love the guy but his best chance at a fat contract is elsewhere.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
He is much better than mediocre.

How do you figure? What can you do with Amos, schemewise? Can he play in the box and still get back in pass coverage? Can he blitz? Can he cover slot WRs 1-on-1? Does he have ball skills?

All I've seen Amos do is drop deep and tackle players who get too close to him. In all honesty, the best hit I've seen him make was the one that essentially cost the Bears the Eagles game. He's a reliable tackler. That's about the nicest thing you can say about him.

Giving Amos $14M guaranteed is something GarPax would do so they can say they kept 'their guys'. That move would most likely result in terrible ROI.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Windy, don't you think now would be a good time for the Bears to sign RRH to a longer contract. I would think it would be a good time for a low risk high reward contract for the Bears. He seems to be a guy who will be a solid starter and has shown the potential for more. I was thinking a 3 year deal for around 10 million would benifit both parties. Very reasonable deal for a starter with potential. Just wanted you opinion since it is obvious he will be brought back for next year. I just think if he improves a good amount he will be another starter that will be looking for a payday in 2020.

I would try and use his ERFA and RFA years to get him on a better deal. He is assuming 2 years of injury risk without a long term deal.

He tweeted that he was back for 2019 last night, but I am not sure what that means.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
That would be a brilliant offseason all things considered. Hunt is the key piece to winning a Super Bowl in near future and is perfect for this system in many ways and circumstances make it a necessity to sign him given our cap and draft status.

I love the ware signing too for protection until the suspension ends.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Falcons are having a fire sell. Just released Matt Bryant and Alford. Matt Bryant is worth a look at

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
There are plenty of RBs in the draft so Bears should end up with a good one. One that may get overlooked is Rodney Anderson due to his injury history. He is a complete back.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
How do you figure? What can you do with Amos, schemewise? Can he play in the box and still get back in pass coverage? Can he blitz? Can he cover slot WRs 1-on-1? Does he have ball skills?

All I've seen Amos do is drop deep and tackle players who get too close to him. In all honesty, the best hit I've seen him make was the one that essentially cost the Bears the Eagles game. He's a reliable tackler. That's about the nicest thing you can say about him.

Giving Amos $14M guaranteed is something GarPax would do so they can say they kept 'their guys'. That move would most likely result in terrible ROI.

What about trading for Otto making 26+ mil for the next 2 years while having 12 PPG career average?!? Is there another guard let alone player in the NBA making 26 mil averaging 12 points? It is unfathomable.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is there a cap hit for cutting Bullard? He's been a big zero.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
What about trading for Otto making 26+ mil for the next 2 years while having 12 PPG career average?!? Is there another guard let alone player in the NBA making 26 mil averaging 12 points? It is unfathomable.

The weird thing about that is GarPax willingly got rid of one of "their guys" in Portis.