Forde on Tyler

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Nasir, Philly: How serious are the Bulls about drafting Hansbrough, especially at 16? Why not try to trade up for Blair? Or take a player of a higher ceiling in Clark or Mullens?

Chad Ford: He's their type of player and I think teams were impressed with his size (6-10 in shoes) at the combine. He was also decent in the athletic testing. He had a max 34 inch vertical. Benched 185 pounds 18 times. And his lane agility and sprint drills were a little above average for a big man. In other words, he's bigger and more athletic than we gave him credit for at UNC. Combine that with the obvious production and he looks like a better prospect. As for Blair and Clark, they probably won't be there at 16. Mullens is a BIG project. He's a few years away from helping anyone.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=26749

I am really opening up to the idea of drafting him, however I hope other teams dont start taking notice. He is def. a Pax type pf player.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
I liked Psycho T in college, and I don't understand how he got labeled as a slightly better Mark Madsen. He's light years ahead of Madsen, who's not nearly half the player T is. I would love to have him on the Bulls. He's my kind of player. Smart, physical, and has an unparreled ability to get to the FT line at anytime. Not to mention he lead UNC to the Final Four and eventually the title, which is a pre-requsite for being a Pax draft pick.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Tyler is my kind of player also. Just in the fact that he always works hard no matter what. That, and he can make his free throws. He's definitely a lot better than many people are giving him credit for. I would not mind him being on the Bulls at all.

SouL EateR

Liked Posts:
Im buyin into this kid more and more as the draft gets closer but as of now James Johnson is still my guy if available..

Kush77

Liked Posts:
I did not know Hansbrough was 6'10. I always thought he was 6'8 or so.

I wouldn't be against the Bulls drafting him. He put up solid numbers in a great conference. Sure, he probably has a low ceiling, but you typically don't get a star player at 16. The chances are slim. Hopefully he would slip to 26, but I guess that's not gonna be the case.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Kush77 wrote:
I did not know Hansbrough was 6'10. I always thought he was 6'8 or so.

I wouldn't be against the Bulls drafting him. He put up solid numbers in a great conference. Sure, he probably has a low ceiling, but you typically don't get a star player at 16. The chances are slim. Hopefully he would slip to 26, but I guess that's not gonna be the case.

He is going to be a work horse in the NBA. I would love to put him alongside Noah.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I will scare you off of Hansbrough with one statement on my next podcast.

Okay, maybe I won't, but I found one thing that kind of scared me off.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:

knee issues? please a hint.

Manic Devourer

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:

His age?

I know that he'll be 24 by the time the season starts. But I mean, I don't see the big deal in that really, as we need players that can contribute right away.

You can't say something, and not give us any hint of what you're referring to Doug!

TheStig

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:

Your not selling magazine subscriptions here, spill it.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
Unathletic power players are not going to succeed in the NBA. When you look at Hansbrough, he won't be a post up guy, so that leaves the Bulls with yet another jumpshooting energy power forward. No Thanks.

Manic Devourer

Liked Posts:
JimmyBulls wrote:
Unathletic power players are not going to succeed in the NBA. When you look at Hansbrough, he won't be a post up guy, so that leaves the Bulls with yet another jumpshooting energy power forward. No Thanks.

Do you consider Blake Griffen athletic?

Because if you do, Tyler matched up pretty darn well with him athletically during the combine test.

I don't understand why people call him unathletic, just because he doesn't throw it down as much or have as many spectacular plays as others. Some peoples games are just as effective, without the dunks and all the bells and whistles.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
Combines are not a legit test to prove how athletic a guy would be on the basketball court. Micheal Beasley scored as good (if not better) than Hanbrough, and he looked pretty unathletic with the Heat. The only difference is Beasley has one of the most flawless skillsets of any power forward you could ever watch. TH just doesn't have the type of skillset.

If you think Blake and Tyler should be put in the same sentence athleticly, please watch them go head to head in the NCAA tournment.

Manic Devourer

Liked Posts:
JimmyBulls wrote:
Combines are not a legit test to prove how athletic a guy would be on the basketball court. Micheal Beasley scored as good (if not better) than Hanbrough, and he looked pretty unathletic with the Heat. The only difference is Beasley has one of the most flawless skillsets of any power forward you could ever watch. TH just doesn't have the type of skillset.

If you think Blake and Tyler should be put in the same sentence athleticly, please watch them go head to head in the NCAA tournment.

Again, you've missed me point. Different players have different styles of play, some show their athletic ability and some don't.

You don't often see Beasley making athletic moves on the court with the Heat because he tended to drift around the perimeter shooting jumpers too often. So tell me how you can make a jumper look athletic?

Then you have players such as Gordon as well, during high school and college he was considered a great athlete also, but his game doesn't really allow him to use his athletic ability to his full potential, or maybe he just doesn't want to.

You're right, combines don't really gauge the full story about whether a player is or isn't athletic because the actual game of basketball involves too many different aspects as well as what is measured in those tests. But if you had watched Tyler during college, he is not an unathletic basketball player. He runs hard, he cuts hard, and he gets up strong and finishes strong. BUT the thing is, his game is not revolved around just trying to dunk the ball, he has great touch around the basket, he has a soft hook shot, and he has great foot work and touch where he has an uncanny ability to get the shot up against taller and stronger players, and to top it off he knows how to get contact to get to the line - I consider that basketball skill, maybe you don't.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
Just because you play hard it means you're athletic? Come on.

I've watch TH's style for four years, I know his style very well. Beasley was a finesse/power player in college. He learned pretty quickly his power game was getting past nobody in the pros, and that's why he drifted out to the perimeter. If MB could impose his will on players physically on the pro level like he did in college he would have. But he couldn't so he used the skills that he could succeed with, and that was his face up game. Tyler does not have the option to go to a faceup game like Beasley, because the guy is not that talented. It's not a knock on him, it's just the truth. It's not about making a jumper look athletic (but it's possible). A guy settles for jumpshot when his inside game is going nowhere and not because they just refuse to go inside.

Tyler Hansbrough is a power player with not a lot else to fall back on. Once his power game get shut down (and it will) he's only going to be a energy guy with a not so good jumpshot. TH could be a good energy guy, but I don't see him doing much else.