Free Agency 2013

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Another tidbit to think about -- we've got the $5MM trade exception from the Kyle Korver deal that's set to expire July 16th, so the Bulls may be able to get crafty on acquiring some more salary and stay below the tax threshold.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
You could argue that Blatche had one of the best seasons of his career in Brooklyn. His per 36 numbers are pretty good and his defensive rating and defensive win shares were much better than his Washington numbers. Clearly he liked playing in Brooklyn more and played well for them. I wouldn't say he's amazing, but there's no denying that he played well. But how much of that was him trying to play his way to a better contract?

Defensive rating appears to be a worthless statistic because I believe it was last year that Boozer finished #2 overall in defensive rating.

As for Josh Smith, I'm not making a case for signing him but he is more than a leaper. He does take stupid shots and sits outside on the 3 point line to much but he is a complete player. He is a good rebounder, one of the best passing bigs in the NBA and plays defense. He blocks shots and gets steals. If he weren't such a head case and was more efficient on offense, he might just be the best big in the game.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Defensive rating appears to be a worthless statistic because I believe it was last year that Boozer finished #2 overall in defensive rating.
Yeah that's true. I throw stats like that out there just to have them out there for those who care. Obviously you should take things into context when looking at these. His defensive stats overall per 36 minutes were at pretty much career highs though so the defensive rating isn't entirely inaccurate.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Please don't sign J.R. Smith.

With that said, pleae don't re-sign Special person Nate for anything more than a 1 year/2 million dollar contract.

i'd easily give nate MMLE (i think its 3 per)...but some team might offer more than that

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
Maybe it's because I haven't been sleeping much so I haven't been able to think clearly... but what?

hes basically saying ben is a turnstile :shifty:

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
OJ Mayo has a player option of just over $4M for Dallas next season -- he could be a potential target.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Is there any possible way we could lure Kevin Martin away from OKC over here without trading Deng or Boozer? He's going to have a to take a paycut to stay with OKC anyway, but we could offer him more minutes, a starting position, and a bigger role. But to my knowledge we're stuck with the mini MLE right? Or say if we don't resign all the 1 year deals and buyout Rip do we get the full MLE?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Maybe it's because I haven't been sleeping much so I haven't been able to think clearly... but what?

Don't you remember Ben Gordon impersonating a Matador on defense? The guard would bring the ball up, go right past Gordon as if he wasn't there which on defense was true.

czman

Liked Posts:
If we are going to talk about the off-season it makes sense to list the assets,

Korver trade exception (probably needs to be used on draft day)
Rip (1 million dollar buyout)
1st and second round pick.
3/3 MLE
No bi-annual this season

Ben Gordon is not an option because he has a 13.2 mill player option. Anyone think he is turning that down?

I think the Bulls should look at the off season as such:

The Bulls can pay Marco 2.34 million on a one year deal. That is more than he will get for a bi-annual and I am not sure he will garner enough attention to get a a full MLE from someone. I think that money probably gets him back as the backup SG. Since the Bulls have limited ability to makes moves resigning Marco makes a lot of sense.

The two guys who I would like to see the Bulls target who are in their price range are Mozgov and Matt Barnes.

If I am the Bulls Barnes is #1 choice. He is a tough, can defend, hit the 3, and rebound. Those are all thing that Tibs likes. He will not cost a lot and has playoff experience.

Timofey Mozgov has decent foot speed for his size and lateral quickness. He an rebound and is a hustle player. If he stays in the US he will probably play for a smaller contract and the Bulls might be able to bring him in cheap.

I think next season the Bulls need to move Boozer to the bench.

The starting lineup would be:
Rose
Butler
Deng
Gibson
Noah

That is probably the best defensive starting 5 in the league and will be damn near the best rebounding starting 5.

If Butler can shot ~40 from the 3 he will be a perfect fit that unit. He if stays above 38% he will be fine.

The bench mobs looks like this:
Hinrich
Marco
Barnes
Boozer
Mozgov

That is a team that can score a bit. Boozer plays well with Hinrich in the Pick and pop so that puts those two together. Boozer will be much more effective against backup PFs and his defense will not hurt as much. Marco and Barnes can spread the floor a bit Barnes can defend the better of the other teams scorer.

Teague and the 1st round pic round out the 12. If they want to bring back Nate I am not opposed.

The other think I like about this is it should allow Tibs to play no one more than 36 minutes. They will have quality backups in each position and keeping guys minutes down will be key if they plan on making a long playoff run.

I don't suspect the Bulls will use the Korver trade exception. I also don't think Rip will get traded. I would like to see the Bulls take on more salary, but they are bumped against the apron next season so it is highly doubtful either of those get used.

I think that is about as much as they can hope for.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Boozer won't be benched and Butler won't hit the 3 at over 35% so the above scenario is very optimistic...

czman

Liked Posts:
Boozer won't be benched and Butler won't hit the 3 at over 35% so the above scenario is very optimistic...

Butler shot 38% this season and the last two months he shot over 45%.

Boozer is already benched in the 4th quarter. I know it would be highly unlikely that he will get benched, but makes more sense to play with him Hinrich and for the Bulls to play to their strengths--rebounding and defense.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Butler shot 38% this season and the last two months he shot over 45%.

Boozer is already benched in the 4th quarter. I know it would be highly unlikely that he will get benched, but makes more sense to play with him Hinrich and for the Bulls to play to their strengths--rebounding and defense.
Oh did he? I'm impressed. Maybe he'll keep that up...but it's not like he's going to be a 3pt sniper for us necessarily. Still, whatever 3s we can get we should be happy with at this point.

I agree that Boozer plays well with Hinrich, but he's not losing his starting spot. Him being benched in the 4th generally happens with offense/defense substitutions or if he's not having a good offensive game. I can see him playing more with Hinrich and the bench unit, something that I've actually advocated numerous times during the year, but even that isn't necessarily all too likely to happen unless they run Hinrich a lot with the starters at SG and actually have him run the offense and Rose off the ball...iffy situation.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
boozer will not be benched

we are not the knicks or lakers

czman

Liked Posts:
Oh did he? I'm impressed. Maybe he'll keep that up...but it's not like he's going to be a 3pt sniper for us necessarily. Still, whatever 3s we can get we should be happy with at this point.

I don't actually agree with this. I think Butler has a very good chance of going the Dan Majerle route. Butler showed me a lot with his 3-point shooting in the second half of the season. I don't know if he can carry it over or not. I think he deserves the opportunity to start at the 2. By the end of next season we will know if he can hit the 3 consistently or not.

czman

Liked Posts:
I agree that Boozer plays well with Hinrich, but he's not losing his starting spot. Him being benched in the 4th generally happens with offense/defense substitutions or if he's not having a good offensive game. I can see him playing more with Hinrich and the bench unit, something that I've actually advocated numerous times during the year, but even that isn't necessarily all too likely to happen unless they run Hinrich a lot with the starters at SG and actually have him run the offense and Rose off the ball...iffy situation.

I am going to hold out hope on this because I think it is the right thing to do. I think the Bulls need to fully embrace who they are if they are ever going to win a title. The Bulls are never going to be able to out star the Heat. They are not going to get a Kevin Durant. They are not going to be super efficient offensive team. They just need to embrace what they are--grinders and tough players.

RC_Skinny22

Sharpshooter
Donator
Liked Posts:
As much as I love Jimmy, but he got so many really wide open looks this year! Especially in the corner.

Now the league knows who he is and what he can do. I´m not expecting teams to plan for him defensively but I´m not so sure he stays this uncovered for another season.

So his shooting percentage might eventually drop a Little.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't actually agree with this. I think Butler has a very good chance of going the Dan Majerle route. Butler showed me a lot with his 3-point shooting in the second half of the season. I don't know if he can carry it over or not. I think he deserves the opportunity to start at the 2. By the end of next season we will know if he can hit the 3 consistently or not.
Well I mean with the current construction of the team, whatever 3pt production we get in general should be welcomed. If Jimmy turns out to be a knockdown 3pt shooter, fantastic, but if not, we'll take what we can get.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Just saw a poll on ESPN that asked for people to vote for which Bulls they would most like to see back next year. Jimmy was #1, Noah #2, Thiibs #3, D Rose finished 4th. Fans amaze me.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
Just saw a poll on ESPN that asked for people to vote for which Bulls they would most like to see back next year. Jimmy was #1, Noah #2, Thiibs #3, D Rose finished 4th. Fans amaze me.

is ben gordon a option?

exj22.png