Free Agency 2013

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
A real pipe dream, but I really hope we bring in Josh Smith. I know he gets a lot of hate around here, but he's a solid defender, and under Thibodeau, I think he'll eliminate a lot of the bad shots he takes.

Lol...like Nate did? I don't think he is a Thibs type of guy.

They most likely will stay as is. Now, why would they do that? 2014 free agency class.

By the way...Butler > Gordon. Case closed on that one. Butler is your starting shooting guard next season.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
i would die happy

Its good to know you would die happy, not from a Bulls acquiring another superstar, or them winning a championship, but because they bring back a streaky, inconsistent, undersized shooting guard who can't play defense.

Sent from the interwebz using ancient technology

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Lol...like Nate did? I don't think he is a Thibs type of guy.

They most likely will stay as is. Now, why would they do that? 2014 free agency class.

By the way...Butler > Gordon. Case closed on that one. Butler is your starting shooting guard next season.

I agree, I'm just saying if the Bulls make a major move, Smith is the only guy I'd go after in this class. Nate had the best season of his career under Thibodeau, so I could see Smith buying in. :shrug:

Like I said, its a pipe dream/ pie in the sky idea anywho.

sicko

Liked Posts:
Ben Gordon wouldn't cost much now and would be great off the bench, hell yeah I would love to see BG back in a Bulls Uniform for the right price!

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
lCUilNR.jpg

FrenchieBully

Liked Posts:
BG7 has ice cold veins and would show up during crunch time. BG as a 6th man.... hell yeah. He probably wouldn't want to come here after the way we treated him like a red headed stepchild.

Freakyslow15

Liked Posts:
BG7 has ice cold veins and would show up during crunch time. BG as a 6th man.... hell yeah. He probably wouldn't want to come here after the way we treated him like a red headed stepchild.

I don't think we treated him as a red-headed stepchild; we just didn't want to pay him what he felt he was worth b/c we didn't think he was worth it. Obviously, he's overvalued his worth.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Our primary needs are at shooting guard and backup center. We need a guy who can move well without the ball and hit jumpers consistently with his feet set. With Rose healthy, we have a guy that can slash and score in traffic. Belinelli was a bit too inconsistent to garner starter's minutes and Rip is well past his prime and should only be used off the bench. Either way, we're going to buy out Rip's last season and save ourselves $4MM. Our lack of frontcourt depth really showed against Miami. When Noah would rotate out to guard LeBron on the wing, LeBron took it to the rack every single time because he new nobody else was protecting the rim. These are two issues we should be able to address in the draft, which will save us a substantial amount of money.

If anything, the real issues are going to be what we decide to do with Deng in his final year (I still say trade him and get maximum return for him now) and Boozer (I say keep him until we're into the final year of his deal, unless a team offers a younger upgrade as well as a draft pick). If we stand pat with those two guys, we're essentially going to have the same roster we did this year, only with another rookie on the bench that never plays.

andre blatche?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
the problem I have with Smith is never pay for leapers approaching 30. Pay shooters and bigs, draft leapers

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
the problem I have with Smith is never pay for leapers approaching 30. Pay shooters and bigs, draft leapers

Interesting way to put it. But I agree with the scope of your argument. Although if you're talking about Josh Smith, he's still got plenty of leg left in him and not a concern with "leaping".

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting way to put it. But I agree with the scope of your argument. Although if you're talking about Josh Smith, he's still got plenty of leg left in him and not a concern with "leaping".

That always seems the case, but I am feeling the team that overpays the 27 year old Josh Smith(and someone will), will be very happy if he stays healthy for 2 years before they realize having a big longterm contract in declining legs under a player that does stupid stuff, takes 3's he shouldn't, and isn't the best post player will be sad.

Basically, imagine paying Josh Smith 4 years from now when his amazing leaps are gone and he can no longer play dominant defense.

He isn't that big to continue after he can't jump, but he is big enough he won't last as long as Wade.

I don't like it, but we can relax because it ain't happening.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
from bleacherreport

Smith has been durable throughout his career, playing in 94 percent of possible games. He was a part of six playoff teams in nine years, racking up 52 postseason games.

He made the second round during three of those years.

The knocks are obvious at this point. Smith takes a fair amount of bad shots. In year nine of his career, he jacked up 2.6 threes per game, the most of his career, making only 30 percent. A 65.4 percent career free-throw shooter, Smith randomly hit only 52 percent from the line in 2012-13.

Smith has also had his share of troubles off court and dealing with extra-curricular activity on it. Over the past six seasons, Smith has averaged north of nine technical fouls, consistently among the league leaders. He was suspended and fined by his own team this past season, and has had run-ins with the league before as well.

With all that baggage, Smith is still incredibly talented and as unique a talent as you'll find in the NBA.

Its a risk as any big contract is. Just for me I see too many warning signs. Mind you, I'm highly selective and wouldn't take Howard for more than 4 million, if at all. I think Howard drags down your team ball movement and efficiency. You all expect Smith to be this great defender for Thibs, but Thibs is a system and Smith is an individual playmaker defender. I'm not sure it works out. "The Unique Talent" everyone wants will be gone soon and your left with a stupid player that takes too many 3's away from actual shooters and shoots 52% from foul line.

Stay away Pax!!

Andre Blatche will be able to play defense until he is 38 because he is 7'0" with a wing span. I have seen improvement in his game every year and I would love to take a close look at his advanced stats as a member of the Nets. Plus he is likely fairly cheap which is what we need. Reddick or Jack might be good additions as well. I love what Korver can do, win you games and lose you games. But his defense is too damn frustrating, and he still gets nervous with the ball and spaz.

They rarely played him next to Brooke Lopez, but we could rotate him much more. I prefer Olynik over Withey in the draft,

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I could really careless about Free Agents, we can not afford free agents. What I'm more interested in is TRADE availability. WHO can we trade for.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Andre Blatche will be able to play defense until he is 38 because he is 7'0" with a wing span. I have seen improvement in his game every year and I would love to take a close look at his advanced stats as a member of the Nets. Plus he is likely fairly cheap which is what we need. Reddick or Jack might be good additions as well. I love what Korver can do, win you games and lose you games. But his defense is too damn frustrating, and he still gets nervous with the ball and spaz.

They rarely played him next to Brooke Lopez, but we could rotate him much more. I prefer Olynik over Withey in the draft,
You could argue that Blatche had one of the best seasons of his career in Brooklyn. His per 36 numbers are pretty good and his defensive rating and defensive win shares were much better than his Washington numbers. Clearly he liked playing in Brooklyn more and played well for them. I wouldn't say he's amazing, but there's no denying that he played well. But how much of that was him trying to play his way to a better contract?

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
josh smith is not a realistic option

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I want Ben Gordon too. I miss the Matador allowing the "Bull" to out score him with all of us Yelling O'Lay as the player Ben is supposed to defend keeps scoring trip after trip.

Daa Bearrs

Liked Posts:
Please don't sign J.R. Smith.

With that said, pleae don't re-sign Special person Nate for anything more than a 1 year/2 million dollar contract.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I want Ben Gordon too. I miss the Matador allowing the "Bull" to out score him with all of us Yelling O'Lay as the player Ben is supposed to defend keeps scoring trip after trip.

Maybe it's because I haven't been sleeping much so I haven't been able to think clearly... but what?