Free Agent Targets for the Bears

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do you honestly thing they would trade for Parkey...cause contract problems to get almost the exact same production....The Vikings would go over the cap to gain the rights for Parkey.....and the Steelers wouls use up a 1/3 of their salary cap for the rights to the great Cody Parkey....they could sign their own shitty kicker for half the price back.....

only on CCS

The Bears are going to eat the Parkey money. Sometimes the medicine tastes bad.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
What's up with all this connection shit?

Is there some kind of recent run on big name FAs taking less money than another team because they have a connection with a coach on a team that is offering less years and/or salary and bonus?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What's up with all this connection shit?

Is there some kind of recent run on big name FAs taking less money than another team because they have a connection with a coach on a team that is offering less years and/or salary and bonus?

No, big money free agents often take the most money.

In the range of free agency that we are looking at, low contracts, coaching connections and scheme fit often will trump a couple of 100k on the deal.

The Bears are not going to be high bidders so they need to sell the scheme and the personal connections.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm not so sure

BEARS

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Parkeys deal is horrendous.

But even if we trade him the cap hit for the guaranteed money stays with us.

If he has offsets, it will provide little relief as he will at best get the minimum from someone.

The Bears are going to eat the Parkey money. Sometimes the medicine tastes bad.
I have to assume Bears are going to cut and eat the Parkey money too. That's why I'm asking these shitty questions.

Considering the lack of Bears $$, do you think a draft pick or UDFA are the Bears only viable options?

You wrote of trade, "If he has offsets"... what do you mean by that? Would giving Parkey to another team actually give some, better than nothing, relief?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Jeff Allen has a tattoo of a lion. He’s out.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My #1 priority is Bryce Callahan.

If the Bears are going to be more aggressive and blitz more we need 3 strong CBs and Callahan is good in man and is an excellent blitzer.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have to assume Bears are going to cut and eat the Parkey money too. That's why I'm asking these shitty questions.

Considering the lack of Bears $$, do you think a draft pick or UDFA are the Bears only viable options?

You wrote of trade, "If he has offsets"... what do you mean by that? Would giving Parkey to another team actually give some, better than nothing, relief?

I would not be shocked if Pace chose to go cheap and replaceable at K.

If you are not tied to a guy you can make a move if it goes off the rails like Parkey. After Detroit guys should have been at Halas Hall and probably one should have been signed, they were not because of Parkey's contract.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Could always bring Andy Phillips back on the cheap.

He's out there kicking 43 yarders with his wrong foot.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

If the Bears are going to be more aggressive and blitz more we need 3 strong CBs and Callahan is good in man and is an excellent blitzer.

Was reading last week that Pagano prefers the 3 Safety look over the typical nickle defense. Wonder if that will change the priority from Callahan to Amos.

We would need Jackson, Bush, Amos for that "big nickle" look...

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I think the Bears will go O line in the draft. Push to re-sign Callahan, let everyone else walk.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
One must wonder what a year of improvement is going to do for some players. The way I see it, we need to secure starters at OG (Long), RT, NB and SS. If we can focus on resigning Callahan and Amos, and draft for OL, the rest of our money can go to depth signings.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Mcmanis filled the role well, im more focused on Amos

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Mcmanis filled the role well, im more focused on Amos
Anthony Harris has better range and instinct he is also a better tackler and is always around the ball unlike Amos who disappears.
Will be cheaper too. You steal him from the Vikings and you're making the division weaker while making the team better.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Anthony Harris has better range and instinct he is also a better tackler and is always around the ball unlike Amos who disappears.
Will be cheaper too. You steal him from the Vikings and you're making the division weaker while making the team better.

Why would he be cheaper if he is better than Amos?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The winning TD for Philly was against McManis, BTW.

Not blaming him alone. I like him for what his role has been. But trying to start him is absolutely the Peter Principle.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
RBs

Spencer Ware [KC]
Chandrick West [KC]
Kareem Hunt [KC]
Mark Ingram [NO]
Kenjon Barner [Car] *Oregon
Alfred Blue [Hou] Charles London

Bilal Powell
Ty Montgomery
TJ Yeldon
Mike Davis
Jalen Richard
Raheem Mostert
JD McKissic

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
No, big money free agents often take the most money.

In the range of free agency that we are looking at, low contracts, coaching connections and scheme fit often will trump a couple of 100k on the deal.

The Bears are not going to be high bidders so they need to sell the scheme and the personal connections.

Instead of being out in front and making signings in the first week of free agency Pace will now be better off waiting guys out when their price starts dropping cause there sitting out there too long. There are always ways for teams to create more cap space by re-doing some contracts on guys like Mack or Goldman or Fuller or anyone with a larger contract so i could see Pace doing something to create space to make a bigger signing early but i'm really hoping we have guys on the team now that can step up and replace any starter we lose like D.Bush or D.Houston Carson taking over for Amos (if we don't re-sign him) or S.McManis taking over for Callahan (if we lose him) and so on so we can get some comp. picks in 2020 to help make up for the picks we'll be without in 2019 and 2020. I think Pace has done a good job making us a pretty deep team and with so many great players on this defense i think we could get away with going with Bush or McManis starting. I really like that Kevin Tolliver #22 kid that took over for Prince when he was out to but see him as strictly a CB and not NB.