From ESPN - Teams futures: Better or Worse?

Liked Posts:
The goal: pick out teams in which the future looks either dramatically better or worse than it did when the season started.

Dramatically worse

Chicago Bears

Even given low expectations, the Bears have been disappointing. Injuries have ravaged Chicago, with 14 players on injured reserve and free-agent-to-be Alshon Jeffery suspended. The signs of promise Jay Cutler showed last year have dissipated, and the expected improvement from the defense has pushed them to only 24th in defensive DVOA. The development of first-round pick Leonard Floyd -- who has 4.5 sacks and six hits over the past three weeks -- is promising, but there are precious few building blocks on this team, which looks to be years away from contending with the QB situation a mystery.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The goal: pick out teams in which the future looks either dramatically better or worse than it did when the season started.

Dramatically worse

Chicago Bears

Even given low expectations, the Bears have been disappointing. Injuries have ravaged Chicago, with 14 players on injured reserve and free-agent-to-be Alshon Jeffery suspended. The signs of promise Jay Cutler showed last year have dissipated, and the expected improvement from the defense has pushed them to only 24th in defensive DVOA. The development of first-round pick Leonard Floyd -- who has 4.5 sacks and six hits over the past three weeks -- is promising, but there are precious few building blocks on this team, which looks to be years away from contending with the QB situation a mystery.

Don't worry Pace is looking remember

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
This team obviously doesn't have many playmakers including the most glaring problem that will have to be aggressively addressed. The coaching staff is also in limbo which only hurts the development of this team.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
To be fair I think the D is much better than their 24th ranked DVAO seeing that they're on the field longer than the offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That is pretty accurate.

I think this team has better than 2-7 talent, I think the last draft class gives reasons for hope, but the QB position hangs over this team like a dark cloud.

I agree that until they get a competent HC and a QB this looks bleak.

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Guys, why so worried about the QB position? Pace likes guys, there are guys out there Pace likes. He liked Mariota and he liked Wentz, guys were liked. Eventually Pace will select a guy he likes, and we'll just have to like the guy he liked.

Yeesh.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The only way I can't see the suckage going at least a couple more years is if they trade for Jimmy G. A rookie is going to take time and the team is not talented enough to win with a developing QB.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
This team can win with any QB that takes care of the ball. But to the OP I don't see how we look worse then when the season started. All this season was about was getting the young guys on the field and learning. This was a throw away season the minute we started it with Cutler under center.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
This team can win with any QB that takes care of the ball.

8770137.jpg

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
This team will be fine. They invested $60-million into the offensive guard position. Everyone knows the key to winning starts with Pro Bowl caliber guards.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The only way I can't see the suckage going at least a couple more years is if they trade for Jimmy G. A rookie is going to take time and the team is not talented enough to win with a developing QB.

Yeah, Lord knows a rookie QB can't possibly lead a team that just drafted in the top 4 to the best record in the league in his 1st year.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Yeah, Lord knows a rookie QB can't possibly lead a team that just drafted in the top 4 to the best record in the league in his 1st year.

Even if we did we'd trade him two first round picks and a fifth for Jeff George Jr.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Even if we did we'd trade him two first round picks and a fifth for Jeff George Jr.

This is based on the Bears history of trading away pro bowl QB's?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think people underestimate what a good, competent QB could do. It's great to have a guy that doesn't make mistakes, but you also have to have a guy that can make plays. Cutler can make plays, but obviously way too many mistakes. Hoyer didn't make mistakes (as a Bear), but didn't exactly make any plays. The difference between the 2 prominent rookies so far is Wentz isn't making mistakes, Dak is making plays while not making many mistakes.

It has almost become an automatic that if the Bears get to 3rd down, they are going off the field. 33% 3rd down conversion rate, because our QBs can't make plays. And it's not just 3rd and long. Everyone sucks at 3rd and long. But just last week, the Bears went 2 for 6 in 3rd and 5 or less, including an INT and a fumble to take points off the board. A team with as good of a running game as the Bears have (4.6 ypc) and a stud WR (Jeffery) shouldn't be this bad at 3rd and short, as they should have the threat of run or pass.

But I will go on record to say, the Bears are a QB away (new OC would go a long way too) from being next year's Cowboys. Not necessarily the best record in the league, but they do have some pieces. Front 7 is decent with potential to improve with a healthy Goldman, year 2 of Floyd, healthy McPhee, year 2 of Bullard. The OL is strong in the interior and has run blocked well all year. Jeffery, Meredith, and anything from White next year is a solid WR corps. Nowhere near a perfect team, but the QB position is super important and can turn things around in a hurry like we've seen in many situations before.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I have no problem if they would trade for Jimmy G. as long as he doesn't cost too much pick wise and salary wise. However, there have been drafted qbs come-in and succeed early on, just look at this year.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Guys, why so worried about the QB position? Pace likes guys, there are guys out there Pace likes. He liked Mariota and he liked Wentz, guys were liked. Eventually Pace will select a guy he likes, and we'll just have to like the guy he liked.

Yeesh.

Unfortunately there's no Andrew Like in the 2017 draft class.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Noonthirtyjoe;2639614[B said:
]This team can win with any QB that takes care of the ball. [/B] But to the OP I don't see how we look worse then when the season started. All this season was about was getting the young guys on the field and learning. This was a throw away season the minute we started it with Cutler under center.

Hoyer took care of the ball, and we still sucked!!! We lack talent! Especially on the Offense.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

That seems to be more the exception than the rule.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have no problem if they would trade for Jimmy G. as long as he doesn't cost too much pick wise and salary wise. However, there have been drafted qbs come-in and succeed early on, just look at this year.

Outside of Dak can you please name someone from the last 3 drafts that has come in and had instant success both personal and team?