Future of the Bulls

DaBulls

Liked Posts:
As it stands, this is Derrick Rose's team. The Chicago born and bred superstar is undoubtedly the citie's most popular athlete since the days of Michael Jordan.

However, the consensus around the NBA is this: Chicago will not be able to beat Miami in a seven game series without another legit superstar. I would like to discuss this concept, along with a few different takes on what the Bulls can do in order to achieve elite status (win a championship).

First and foremost, this Bulls team is deep. Even without Derrick Rose, we have managed to make the playoffs despite Thibs driving his players the way Jeff Gordon rides Chevrolets. With the emergence of second year backup Jimmy Butler and FA Nate Robinson, the Bulls have been able to replenish their bench which has been among the best in the NBA these past three seasons. Taj Gibson (who would start for half the teams in the league) is the defensive anchor of the second unit. When Rose returns from injury, it will allow Kirk to come off bench which will only add to their depth.

But does depth win NBA championships? I remember an ultra deep Portland Trailblazers team in the late 90's that just could not contend with the star power of the Lakers, even though the ref's made bad calls. Or going even farther back, Reggie Miller led Pacer teams could never beat the Bulls when it mattered most, the last game of a playoff series. Sure there is the instance of a deep team that lacked a legit superstar, 2003-2004 Detroit Pistons, who won against a trio of future (and current) NBA hall of famers. At best, we can label that as an outlier. Outliers do not repeat.

If the Bulls are to go the way of consolidating elite talent, how should they approach the task? A few names that come to mind are Kevin Love, Eric Gordon, and Tyreke Evans, yet none of them stand out as anything other than short-term statistical stars due to the fact they have yet to even taste the playoffs (maybe that is part of being in the west).

We have the assets to land any of them in the form of Jimmy Butler, Taj, Bobcats pick, and our Euro stash Nikola Mirotic. But given the market for NBA talent these past few seasons, it would seem (at least to me) that the Bulls would be giving up more than any other team to get unproven sensations. Think what the Lakers gave up for Gasol and Howard, what N.Y. traded to land Melo, how Brooklyn landed Deron Williams or what the Clippers gave up to nab Paul.?.?.?

There is of course another route: the NBA draft. This years draft looks to be extremely deep in scoring guards. Yet out of all the talent that has/will declare, IMO Victor Oladipo is the most intriguing. Not just because of his upside (a guard who can play stellar defense, shot nearly 60% from the field and more than 40% from the three), but because he stills looks to be under valued due to the sub-par performance of Indiana. Had the Hoosiers made it the final 4, i believe Oladipo would have secured top 5 status.

Now much can change by draft day. VO could wow the socks off of GM's with the combine and individual workouts. But at this point in time, it looks as though he will be in a "friendlier" position to trade up to nab.

I'd say the Bulls play asset management, and try to draft Victor Oladipo. At least they would not have to give up so much talent that they are not better off than they were before, a.k.a, subtraction through addition.

Any thoughts?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
OK......I will try.

First....Victor Olidipo would be a great SG to develop, and has NBA defesnive ability already. However, we aren't getting him. I don't know how we could trade from 20's to top 3.

Kevin Love is the best fit of FA's you mentioned, and I think that could be possible if he didn't have a love affair with los angeles. If Howard goes to Brooklyn, expect Love to fill the void and then some (better player than Howard)

What we need is for the Bobcats to keep sucking for two more years. We have their unprotected pick in what? 2015? That is two more years of Charlotte sucking, and be honest, how will they get good?
Boozer may be untradeable, but brings enough to the team that is isn't the end of the world. We have that scoring SF/PF in europe, and the unprotected pick.

Rose, Noah, Nicoli Mirotic, 2015 charlotte pick, Gibson, Butler and some money to spend is a reasonable outlook. Korver would come back. I would like to keep Nate Robinson or go after Gordon for that scoring spark plug off the bench. Players like Okafor, maybe Love, Cousins and others will be available at some point. Maybe Boozer even comes back at a discount once his albatross runs out.

We have a great young point guard, a long active good passing center, and Gibson/Butler developing. I would say the future is not bleak.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would say the future is not bleak.
It's not bleak in terms of regular season wins, but in terms of getting titles, it is unless there's a complete restructuring of the team (highly unlikely). We're the Dallas Mavericks of the East.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It's not bleak in terms of regular season wins, but in terms of getting titles, it is unless there's a complete restructuring of the team (highly unlikely). We're the Dallas Mavericks of the East.

So that means there's a chance of winning....

Sent from the interwebz using ancient technology

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
So that means there's a chance of winning....

[video=youtube;KX5jNnDMfxA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA[/video]

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
our only hope:
kevin-love-octopus-275x300.jpg

or we some how land Jabari Parker by miracle

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
^^^ I think he's a great possibility. The Bulls will have cap space, need a PF and Rose is good friends with Love. He'll need to recruit, though.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
This off season is difficult to predict, except that the Bulls don't make wholesale changes and don't overreact. Some fans seem to always think they should get a whole new roster and it will all work, that is not going to happen. It's even more difficult to make changes with the new lower salary cap and the high luxury tax. They aren't going to go into the tax.

When people are back to health, like next year. I think you've got

Rose Hinrich Teague
Butler
Noah
Deng
Boozer Gibson

Radmonovic, Hamilton, gone for sure
Robinson I would say probably not coming back
Mohammed would depend on how much he wants to stay at what price because there aren't many centers to be found

after that a lot is up in the air and every spot comes down to money.

I could see keeping Bellinelli, again at the right price. If he thinks he can get more money somewhere else you can't afford to overpay for him.
They end up needing backups at the 2 and 3 and the good news is there are always many players available at both spots.

I'm sure everyone will want to amnesty Boozer but you need to name who they can get at a reasonable price to replace him. You've seen what he is really capable of this year when he was needed, he was a borderline All star so there's no reason to think he couldn't keep it up. And I just doubt they are going to pay him to go away.
They're going to draft around 20-24 again, you're not going to get a starter, probably not a rotation player, the Euro guy isn't on his way next year.
Thibs won't play someone who he doesn't have confidence in on defense, has Teague or Radmonovic played much? Nazr just started getting in games.

scottiepippen1994

Liked Posts:
When PaxGar are fired, the future will be bright.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
I highly doubt Kevin Love ends up in LA. They seem pretty content on building around Dwight and it sounds as if he's going to re-sign. They wouldn't have a means of getting him anyways because I believe Kobe will play another 2-3 years. To much $ and no trade assets. Not saying he will wind up in Chicago, but I think that is more likely than LA. Derrick has already talked about teaming with him before. Also with the way Jimmy has developed, I'd rather not trade him. He looks like he will be a better, more athletic version of Deng.

thechosenone

Liked Posts:
trade and amnesty Boozer. there is already a lot of tension between him and the twolves. david kahn was taking shots at him last summer.

What kind of tension? Signing a 5 years contract type of tension?

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
What kind of tension? Signing a 5 years contract type of tension?

After the extension was signed David Kahn started talking shit about him saying he wasn't a star and that he hasn't accomplished anything.

Chi-Town Brahma

Liked Posts:
Would love to keep Robinson to be honest. He's proven he deserves another contract from GarPax. T

The whole Kevin Love thing is a long shot, but we've all talked about this before. He'd be a perfect fit in Chicago....but do you honestly believe GarPax will be aggressive this time around? :smh: Not sold at all on them making a big move.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Would love to keep Robinson to be honest. He's proven he deserves another contract from GarPax. T

The whole Kevin Love thing is a long shot, but we've all talked about this before. He'd be a perfect fit in Chicago....but do you honestly believe GarPax will be aggressive this time around? :smh: Not sold at all on them making a big move.

Its not so much as being aggressive as getting the right deal. The Lakers somehow constantly rip off other teams for star players? Why cant we?