Game of Thrones Thread

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dothraki aren’t important enough to see who the new khal would be. Can’t complain about waste of time on nonsense when electing a new khal would have been nonsense lol

The whole unsullied thing is still a trip for me lol. Idk what to do with the guy who killed our queen. Let’s wait for the cripple and other rich folks to come make the decision for me and let me believe they will honor it lol duh fuck

Not asking that they show the selection of a new Khal. I am saying they should have shown some reaction from Dothraki. We had a time skip. Could have had the Dothraki at the meeting as well. It defies logic that they would just up and leave peacefully given their nature.

Who knew Dothraki were so well behaved. Came to a foreign land and suffered the brunt of the NK's attack and apparently left with no loot to speak of. There is no way that is in any way consistent with their nature.

And Daario pledges his love for Dany and is heartbroken he is asked to stay but apparently doesnt give a fuck that Jon fucked and killed the supposed love of his life. A women he beheaded his 2 commanders to pledge his support to her.

They just left so many hanging threads. Should have been more fallout from killing Dany is my point.

Last edited:

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Well can you say Bran is not psycho. Dude sat by and didnt try and stop all this carnage because it was his destiny to rule. Sounds a lot like Dany's Messiah complex.
If Donald Trump had a Dragon he'd do to San Francisco what Dany did to KL 100 percent.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
So what, the Wildlings somehow heard snow was coming back to the black and showed up and took him. Mr oath driven Snow abandons his sentence to go with the wildlings? Guess after he killed Danny he said fuck everything my character has stood for with no dialogue.
Jon became the 1000th lord commander. He was #998, then gave it to Ed and now returns at 1000th. They weren't trying to show he was going with the Wildlings. It was a call back to season 1 when the rangers went out scouting through that same forest and ran in to the wights and then dastardly Ned beheaded the fellow who was actually telling the truth about what happened. This time out, Jon is just taking the Wildlings back to their original home and can be more casual about it as the dangers of the wights no longer exists.
The episode was actually pretty good. The problem remained the lead-up to this episode. Peter Dinklage probably gets an Emmy for this episode. I think the strongest performance by a character yet, this season.

Problem is, the lead-up (which we have discussed) sucked so bad, it's hard to judge this episode on it's individual merits. There are some problems with it still.

The North wants to be independent? WTF? With Bran installed as king, why would you want that? And yet, did we forget that Dany promised the Iron islands independence, yet no mention is made of that?

Jon is sentenced to essentially exile (although it might be a relief to him anyways), because Grey Worm (who is leaving anyways) and Yara, wanted him executed? Greyworm I could understand a bit, but Yara, are you fucking blind? And why do they need a wall anymore anyways? I don't get it. Who is in charge of the wall, KL or the North? Logistically this makes zero sense.

And I still don't get Bronn being the master of coin. Did anyone happen to catch who was in charge of Casterly Rock?
Tyrion has always been good at acting, wouldn't say great at any point. His character still seemed dumbed down and it was actually Harrington who put on the best performance. You believed he loved her even as he killed her. When Tyrion talks to him about being sent to the wall, he really does sound and appear to be broken from the whole thing.

They weren't concerned with dumbass, useless Yara so much as Grey Worm but, as Tyrion explained, had to be done to keep the peace. Was also foreshadowed a couple episodes ago when Jon told Tormund he'd like to go North with him and Ghost.

When Jon says there's still a Night's Watch? Tyrion replies there will always be the need for a place for broken men and bastards, meaning it will more or less just be a place to ostracize these type from the 7...or 6 Kingdoms.

Don't like Sansa but good idea to stay independent. A crippled King w/ his Imp hand aren't likely to stay in power very long.
So, if Jon is banished to the wall, yet the North is independent, Why can't Jon just go home and not return to the 6 kingdoms? I mean if the North truly is independent, then the 6 Kingdoms has no authority there, right?
The North, both beyond the wall and in WF, seem to be fair game for him.

Jon, Sansa, and Arya all wound up where they belonged, and those storylines are perfectly concluded

Bran should have gone to the Citadel where he belongs, the throne should have been granted to the remaining council/Lords for a democratic vote.
Not ready for democracy in this era, as was pointed to when Sam suggested such a thing and was laughed at. Jon should have been made King, literally the Prince that was promised.
Was it ever established that he could clearly see the future? We knew he could see the past and present, but only got glimpses of the future.
Can have vision as he did with the dragon over KL, but I think his greenseer ability is more focused on the past and present.
Allot of talk about the dohtraki

Remember every time a leader dies there is no vengeance they just follow the next strongest person. It opens things up for a new ruler for them and they fight it out and the next alpha wins. It happened when drogo died. It happened when danerys killed the leaders by burning them. They just move on and it’s something we have seen twice already I’m good with them skipping that

Wtf the unsullied did when they found out jon killed danerys is the big wtf. You would think they would have instantly killed jon not jail him and wait for the lords of Westeros permission to do something
Jon was closest to Dany, she loved him and they were related so I think it was to be viewed in that light and the fact nobody witnessed it would temper their immediate rage and thirst for revenge. Really Jon could have gotten away with it if he wasn't honest to a fault. Nobody witnessed it and then Drogon takes her away.

Also, Dany had already thought Jon betrayed her and those close to her knew about that but also knew she loved him so, not only, never considered punishing him but seemed desperate to have both his love and approval.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let me tell yall something ya nerds. I loved every minute of the last episode? Why? Because a great show ended and at the end I still had all the feels. I am not a movie script writer. I am not an "artist". I am a guy who likes fantasy. They gave me everything I wanted and them some. I took it in stride and realized lifes not that serious. Enjoy the moment. So, to end this I am going to leave yall with a timeless movie quote.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let me tell yall something ya nerds. I loved every minute of the last episode? Why? Because a great show ended and at the end I still had all the feels. I am not a movie script writer. I am not an "artist". I am a guy who likes fantasy. They gave me everything I wanted and them some.
I thought the show was good, better than anticipated. Yet, still, Bran not only an extremely odd choice for King but the man pushing for him is a prisoner and, as such, should have no pull. Then Bran naming him Hand of the broken King as punishment for his crimes....extremely lame.

Also, both Tyrion and Arya urge Jon to stop the mad Queen. Then in Tyrion's final talk with Jon, Jon asks him if he did the right thing by killing her cause it doesn't seem right. Suddenly, Tyrion, who threw his Hand pin in disgust and warned Jon his sisters would never be safe with Dany ruling and also even heard her speech saying the war wasn't over and she'd free the world as she did KL, needs 10 years to see how it goes? Did he not take note that her idea of liberating places involved a whole lot of killing of innocents? Needs 10 years to mull it over, really? The Imps brain has been shrinking rapidly to catch up with the rest of his body.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought the show was good, better than anticipated. Yet, still, Bran not only an extremely odd choice for King but the man pushing for him is a prisoner and, as such, should have no pull. Then Bran naming him Hand of the broken King as punishment for his crimes....extremely lame.

Also, both Tyrion and Arya urge Jon to stop the mad Queen. Then in Tyrion's final talk with Jon, Jon asks him if he did the right thing by killing her cause it doesn't seem right. Suddenly, Tyrion, who threw his Hand pin in disgust and warned Jon his sisters would never be safe with Dany ruling and also even heard her speech saying the war wasn't over and she'd free the world as she did KL, needs 10 years to see how it goes? Did he not take note that her idea of liberating places involved a whole lot of killing of innocents? Needs 10 years to mull it over, really? The Imps brain has been shrinking rapidly to catch up with the rest of his body.
Bet he wasnt vaccinated

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Donald Trump had a Dragon he'd do to San Francisco what Dany did to KL 100 percent.

Are you sure he wouldn't end up in D.C. burning the constitution?

giphy.gif

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Haven't kept up with this thread 100% so others may have shared the same sentiment...but here is my take on GOT I enjoyed all of the seasons even this last one. The last season was the weakest but I still enjoyed it, my only gripe is it felt rushed. Similar to when I would write a research paper in college. The first few parts were in depth and full of quality content. Fatigue would settle in and the quality of writing would take a dip but effort was still there. I would then notice that I am creeping on the page minimum and would want to wrap things up so I can get back to partying, so I would rush through the conclusion.

A top 5 show without a doubt, and will watch the spinoffs. But felt the last season should have at least been stretched to 10 episodes, if not a whole other season. Told my one buddy, if they treated the first season like they did with the last, Ned Stark would have lost his head in the 4th episode.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Haven't kept up with this thread 100% so others may have shared the same sentiment...but here is my take on GOT I enjoyed all of the seasons even this last one. The last season was the weakest but I still enjoyed it, my only gripe is it felt rushed. Similar to when I would write a research paper in college. The first few parts were in depth and full of quality content. Fatigue would settle in and the quality of writing would take a dip but effort was still there. I would then notice that I am creeping on the page minimum and would want to wrap things up so I can get back to partying, so I would rush through the conclusion.

A top 5 show without a doubt, and will watch the spinoffs. But felt the last season should have at least been stretched to 10 episodes, if not a whole other season. Told my one buddy, if they treated the first season like they did with the last, Ned Stark would have lost his head in the 4th episode.
Agree, but it just goes to show that D&D aren't original writers/creators/producers. What they were good at was adapting a thoroughly written story to screenplay. When that story was NOT already written out for them, they struggled to carry on a consistent tone, timeline, etc.

Also, it's absolutely ridiculous that people spent so much time "pixel-peeping" for production errors as opposed to actually watching/enjoying the show (coffee-cup, water bottle, etc..)

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Agree, but it just goes to show that D&D aren't original writers/creators/producers. What they were good at was adapting a thoroughly written story to screenplay. When that story was NOT already written out for them, they struggled to carry on a consistent tone, timeline, etc.

Also, it's absolutely ridiculous that people spent so much time "pixel-peeping" for production errors as opposed to actually watching/enjoying the show (coffee-cup, water bottle, etc..)

I felt bad for those who were more concerned with trying to find those production errors than sitting back and enjoying the episodes. What kind of nerd pays more attention to the insignificant details either on the first viewing or the ones after? They acted like a fictional fantasy show was completely ruined because a Starbucks cup made it into a shot, it's not like Euron Greyjoy pulled out an RPG and shot it at a dragon.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Season 7 was rushed too... it was only 7 episodes and people were teleporting.

That's what happens when hack TV writers go from condensing hundreds of pages of published written story into 10 TV episodes a season.... to condensing hundreds of pages of mostly unpublished manuscript into 7 episodes of TV.... to suddenly having a few dozen pages of notes of vague plot direction/points and needing to fabricate brand new story that continues and finishes an enormous written series, hacks it apart out of necessity, and then has to try to wrap itself up landing generally where RR Martin claimed it should.

They had 2 years to write and Produce this final season and all they could put together was 6 episodes that crash lands the series at a conclusion, with 2 of those 6 episodes involving little to no story or dialogue, just battle and special effects.

I truly do empathize with the writers in that the task they had for season 7 and 8 were nearly insurmountable for their skillset.

Imagine you do wiring of office buildings once they're built, and you've been wiring these big amazing Sky Scrapers and then on the last two the architect bails and you're put in charge of finishing the entire pair of buildings.... the whole fucking thing.... and you've never built anything in that realm in your life.

I do not however, excuse many of their choices even in the confines of their shitty writing.

Even in the confines of their low quality writing, they chose to do stupid things and create big dumb holes....
they chose to make The Long Night episode oddly dark so you could barely see what was happening...

they chose to have Dothraki poised to charge Wights without weapons that could kill them unless a random Melisandre appearance happend to light their swords on fire....

they chose to have all the Dothraki suicide charge an unknown force in the dark against any common sense, for the sake of a nice visual effect...

they chose to have the Unsullied and Northern troops fight outside the walls, outside their defensive trench, in relatively loose formation...

they chose to just pretend half the Dothraki and Unsullied survived and not give even a hand-waving "Those defending these positions were not nearly as devastated"....

they chose to have Arya play hide and seek with Wights in some random library.... they chose to have Dany land Drogon and get swamped by Wights for no apparent reason....

they chose to have the Iron Fleet teleport into perfect ambush position that somehow Dany could not see from the air....

they chose to have Euron use some magically buffed super Scorpion that fired 3 bolts inside of 10 seconds and killed Rhaegal with no problem....

they chose to have Dany be so fucking stupid she didn't realize she could fly wide around the fleet and burn it...

they chose to then have Dany and Drogon face the same Iron Fleet head on with no changes, but none of the magic Scorpions could touch Drogon the 2nd time for no apparent reason....

they chose to turn Dany on a dime into a Mad Queen burning children alive like a psycho....

Even if I disagree with the way they wrote the final 2 seasons, I've still given many fairly simple ways to go about doing the same stupid shit but not leaving giant holes or questions.

I can live with the ending crash landing because these guys are not equipped to essentially build the story covered by an entire manuscript that RR Martin never fucking wrote, but what I won't ignore is the fact they chose to have these illogical decisions in the course of events and the Production of the show...

You can have a bad story but still not have Starbucks cups in the show, or make sure the lighting is decent enough people can fucking see the action.... They didn't even bother to keep Production quality up.

There are many unforgivable sins about season 8 of GoT, not just the way the story wrapped up.

I am happy it is over.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
i Recently read that GRRM had a major falling out with D&D after season 5

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
i Recently read that GRRM had a major falling out with D&D after season 5

Link? I'd be interested to read that.

GRRM falling out with D&D would not be a surprise.... they butchered his story... there's no way to NOT butcher a story that large.

By necessity they had to hack it to pieces that could fit into TV episodes/seasons... which is why in hindsight it wasn't wise to rely entirely on him to complete the series.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Link? I'd be interested to read that.

GRRM falling out with D&D would not be a surprise.... they butchered his story... there's no way to NOT butcher a story that large.

By necessity they had to hack it to pieces that could fit into TV episodes/seasons... which is why in hindsight it wasn't wise to rely entirely on him to complete the series.
It was a rumor on r/freefolk

He was mad that they didn’t adapt Dance of Dragons properly.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

Houston

Liked Posts:
If D&D wanted to move on to other things (Star Wars), they should've stepped down and simply let someone else run/write the show. There is no excuse for them cutting the series short and rushing through it.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
look at what Wolverine origins end up being they just aren’t good without a baby sitter. They are good with graphics and overwhelming violence but the story telling just isn’t there. That’s why littlefinger stopped being littlefinger, Varys became bad at what he does, Tyrion stopped being clever and the list goes on and on. The show was good early on despite the poverty budget which made them skip battles and forced them to condense the story to make it a realistic fit for a tv series. But once the story stopped and they had to come up with it on their own well.......

Now does Disney cut them before it’s too late? Is there source material out there for their next project or are they coming up with some garbage?

Keep an eye out for lord of the rings show news. Prime has budgeted over a billion for i lt @5 seasons.