GDT: Blackhawks (6-0-2) @ Flames (1-3-1) 9PM

R K

No, I'm talking about Saad. I know everyone had a shitty game, but he definitely looked like a rookie last night, flashes here and there but a lot of mistakes. His worst was at the end when he gave the puck away in our own zone, then the slashing penalty in OT. I watched the game twice, it was his worst game by far in the defensive end and only made a few plays offensively. Like I said, I'm not too worried. Kane was pretty bad defensively too and his turnover ended up in the back of the net, Saad was a bit more lucky in that regard so it wasn't magnified, but the difference is Kane produces and without his offensive vision we lose this game. Just about the only positive I saw out of Saad was the penalty he drew in the 1st period. Like I said, personally I wouldn't change anything, but knowing Q after reviewing this game I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut back on Saad. But I think the reward outweighs the risk, so I hope he keeps throwing him out there.

A few people complained about Oduya and Hammer, but I thought they played well given the situation (both received almost 25 minutes each) and the forwards really didn't give the defense enough help. Hossa was a mad-man backchecking on the Flames last rush -- but that was just about the only hustle I saw from any forward all night on the back check and I can't recall a single moment where a forward actually attacked the puck in the defensive zone instead of standing around. It was the Emery show, but credit to Hammer, Oduya, Keith, and Seabrook too... 14 blocked shots between the four of them -- that's usually a high number for the entire team to have, let alone four players.. The ice baths are flowing today.

And still didn't have as many issues as Sharp did.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
i honestly had no issues with any players last night considering the cicumstances. not just back to back games but having only 2 home games in the last 7 games? Thats not just a tired team that is a tired home sick team. I. dont care if these guys are well paid pros..they arent robots. This rough schedule was bound to effect this team. They looked gassed and they were. Thanks to Emery two points. Thanks to Kane the two points didnt slip away. I actually thought Kane had a good game despite his one gaff. CBC guys were praising him after the second period showing some of the great things he was doing away from the puck and his unpredictability when he makes passes. They were calling him one of the most creative players in the league and how difficult it is for the opposition to play against him in coverage. They were right. They also called the Toews line the best first line in hockey. This coming from an off night.

I also thought Leddy had a good game believe it or not considering the conditioning of the overall team. I think last night was a gutt check win on the shoulders of Emery of course. Each player during interviews will tell you they were feeling the tired legs. Just a couple guys with tired legs will effect the entire team..it showed last night.

But hell the pk was a thing of beauty once again. Gave up one but big deal. Wins a win I dont really care how they come and who they are against. These guys are hopefully getting a good rest today. Maybe a light skate tomorrow? They will have their legs back for San Jose. That should be a great game.

R K

The travel schedule has been brutal for the Hawks and NO, it hasn't been that brutal for many other teams yet.

Hawks started in LA and played back to back the first night, with Phoenix the next day. They then had to fly back to Chicago for the Blues, then off to Dallas, and Cbus before returning, again the 2nd back to back, with Detroit here waiting for them. They then had to fly off to Minny, Vancouver, then second half back to back, their second of the season of 12, in Calgary last night. Both back to back the teams the Hawks were playing were sitting there waiting for them.

Now this is not an excuse by any means, and every team will go through it at some point this year, but right out of the Gates, with zero preseason, zero preseason games, the Hawks were slammed by the schedule.

Now they are back to the West Coast, 2nd time there already(Kings), against San Jose on Tuesday, back to Phoenix, off to Nashville, then finally back home for 7 games straight. Compared to the Sharks who've had the exact opposite, knowing their time will come.

Hell the Blues have yet to fly out of the fucking Central Time Zone.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
But its the same old Hawks turning the puck over way too much

They're lucky to have gotten 16 out of 18pts

Travel isn't an excuse, they're pro's

They should never turn the puck over, score on every PP, not allow any scoring chances, out hit, out hustle, complete every pass..

It's not as if they're playing other professionals that are trying to win too.

R K

Yea, under the circumstances their just fine. Even better than most thought. 40% of their total road games are done at the end of this week and they currently lead the NHL with most points.

Play good at home, you'll win the Division.

R K

Blues schedule is far easier than the Hawks. Not to mention ending 8 out of the last 9 games at home. One 5 game trip being their longest.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I actually thought Kane had a good game despite his one gaff. CBC guys were praising him after the second period showing some of the great things he was doing away from the puck and his unpredictability when he makes passes. They were calling him one of the most creative players in the league and how difficult it is for the opposition to play against him in coverage. They were right. They also called the Toews line the best first line in hockey. This coming from an off night.

They also mentioned Oduya's +8, how well he's been playing, that the Hawks only gave up two draft picks for him and how well Hjalmmerson (sic) and Oduya are playing together.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Oduya/Hjarllmarsson may be better defensively than the Campbell/Hjarllmarsson pairing

Maybe Oduya isn't as god awful as many thought and the 3.3mil dollar contract is a lot better than some of the other UFA Dmen that were out there..Garrisson, Wideman, Bryan Allen,Kyle Quincy (that cost DET a 1st round pick as well), Stuart, Kuba (was given 4mil per)

Oduya is a +13 in the 33gms (including playoffs) as a Hawk

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Since Oduya came to CHI..the Hawks are 21-6-6 (includes the 2-4 playoffs)

So regular season..19-2-6...not shabby

sth

Liked Posts:
The travel schedule has been brutal for the Hawks and NO, it hasn't been that brutal for many other teams yet.

Hawks started in LA and played back to back the first night, with Phoenix the next day. They then had to fly back to Chicago for the Blues, then off to Dallas, and Cbus before returning, again the 2nd back to back, with Detroit here waiting for them. They then had to fly off to Minny, Vancouver, then second half back to back, their second of the season of 12, in Calgary last night. Both back to back the teams the Hawks were playing were sitting there waiting for them.

Now this is not an excuse by any means, and every team will go through it at some point this year, but right out of the Gates, with zero preseason, zero preseason games, the Hawks were slammed by the schedule.

Now they are back to the West Coast, 2nd time there already(Kings), against San Jose on Tuesday, back to Phoenix, off to Nashville, then finally back home for 7 games straight. Compared to the Sharks who've had the exact opposite, knowing their time will come.

Hell the Blues have yet to fly out of the fucking Central Time Zone.

It has been brutal. Look at the Flames only 6 games played and only one on road. That the Hawks have gotten 16 of 18 points is amazing. People are really under selling this. Looking at that schedule I would have been happy with 11 of 18. This team has all kinds of will. I'm very impressed. Now hopefully when they get 8 straight at home they take advantage. I didn't mean to degrade the guys at all. They have had a great start. And I don't think there is a team that isn't sloppy right now with this short season,

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
I never understood the Oduya slamming. I'm still not sure if the Hawks would have made the playoffs last year had he not joined the team at the time he did. Im not sure where or why some of the fan base turned on him the way the had. Someone needs to remind me what the one play he messed up on that started the face turn. It seems like it usually only takes one play for people to start hating on a player. I don't remember it.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
There was a play where Doam picked his pocket in the playoffs...and he allegedly sucked because of it

Some also equated PHX running/hitting him the whole series that he was somehow then soft - yet he was a plus player in the series and I think was 2nd in hits and blocks

I think he's a pretty good Dman and fits the system perfectly

Ashor-redtribe

Liked Posts:
And what kind of issues were those?

Really Ton, the same issues I have been telling you since game two...Why is it that I see this stuff so early, yet I get told Im wrong. I had told you if you remember, I said everyone is playing great...and Sharp looks like he is lost out there. His one timers are way to late...turning over the puck, holding on to the puck so long that the goalie can have a cup of coffee and still manage to get in his stance and save it. I am sorry since having his child, I think he has not been the same...I am wondering if having this kid effected his game play....Just a thought.

Ton

Liked Posts:
He has had a lot of chances to score, imagine if he was finishing -- he would be leading the Hawks in goals and probably points. So since he hasn't been scoring at the rate everyone would like, now he's lost, turns over the puck too much, holds onto it too long... the reality is, he only has four giveaways this year (Toews has nine) and he has 8 points in 9 games, including an assist against the Flames after getting the puck on net.

If he keeps shooting, he'll score. He is an inconsistent goal scorer, and his shooting percentage is bound to improve. Over his career it has been around 12%. He needs to shoot more, if he doesn't he'll probably score around 10 goals this year, if he shoots closer to his career average he'll have 15-18 goals, maybe even 20 to 22 goals if he gets hot.

I'd like to see why RK think's he had more issues than Saad last game. I didn't see him make rookie mistakes.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Sharp's always been streaky...he's either on fire - or ice cold.

Kane can be cold - but teams still make him a target player they need to shut down. When PK has the puck - all 4 other guys on the ice are dangerous.

Hossa can go through a few games without scoring - but his back pressure/puck pursuit is 2nd to none in the NHL. It's a travesty he's never won a selke

Toews...is a selke candidate..dominant faceoffs...great in corners/boards

None of those 3 player's "rely" on others to get them the puck/create room for them. They do that themselves.

Sharp...if he's not putting the puck in the net/on a streak...he can be bad. It's why I don't think he's in the class of those other 3. He's a very good player...of course. Bona fide top 6 forward...but he compliments the others...isn't a "focal" point player

R K

You're the expert. I saw missed passes, missed shots, and just lathargic play at times from Sharp. Yet you call out the fucking rookie.

Hey man you are the Founer, far be it for me to 2nd guess you. Maybe you should -1 this post as well.

Oi fucking Vey. It's really hard to be here with you these days.

R K

Sharp's always been streaky...he's either on fire - or ice cold.

Kane can be cold - but teams still make him a target player they need to shut down. When PK has the puck - all 4 other guys on the ice are dangerous.

Hossa can go through a few games without scoring - but his back pressure/puck pursuit is 2nd to none in the NHL. It's a travesty he's never won a selke

Toews...is a selke candidate..dominant faceoffs...great in corners/boards

None of those 3 player's "rely" on others to get them the puck/create room for them. They do that themselves.

Sharp...if he's not putting the puck in the net/on a streak...he can be bad. It's why I don't think he's in the class of those other 3. He's a very good player...of course. Bona fide top 6 forward...but he compliments the others...isn't a "focal" point player

Yea and his 7% shooting with some unreal chances makes it ever worse. With all his chances he SHOULD be leading the team in points right now. I'm a huge Sharp fan but the fact he hasn't played in three months is quite clear, while it's a little less clear from Toews and Hossa, IMO. Then again I guess Sharps crazy passing the past three games isn't that obvious, or the fact he's just missing the net.

But I know, the rookie, who's been playing his ass off is far easier to call out.

Oh and the "he needs to shoot more".. Maybe try looking at the stats first before throwing out complete bullshit.

He's 2nd on the team in SOG with 26. Only Hossa has more at 30, yet Hossa's percentage is 20% while Sharp is at 7%.

SO shoot more, twice that of your team mates, you'll get more goals. I get it. And really I'm ok with that as long as he stops passing the puck into the middle of no where.