Goose Gossage - Tirade

Walker

Liked Posts:
Harper is like an outlaw. A Ty Cobb sort. Gossage is like a Supreme Court justice, that has outlived his own wits.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Harper is like an outlaw. A Ty Cobb sort. Gossage is like a Supreme Court justice, that has outlived his own wits.

That's an interesting comment:) I guess all that I have to say about this is that I am perfectly okay with a player being happy about hitting a home-run or getting a strikeout and reacting by being happy and excited. What I refuse to okay is a guy who glares at the opponent and acts out like some of these morons do. Bautistas bat flip and glare or the slow trot around the bases are bullshit.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Walter wouldn't spike the ball, he'd give it to Van Horne to do it for him.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hawk, Did you even look at the evidence that this has been part of the game in the past?

:smh:

WHAt are you referring to Brett?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Back in your day?

Mickey Mantle
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mickey+mantle+bat+flip

Pete Rose Collision and then the mocking stance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fj2B9z4Dbw

Beaming a batter because for at least one pitch you sucked big time is insane. How about pitch better?

While I love the traditional stats, technology has improved every single sport without exception. Can it go too far? Sure. But that doesn't mean there isn't improvements. Sorry, Joe Maddon is a top 3 coach right now and he never played the game. On the other side we are saddled with Robin Ventura who was a great ball player and a pretty lousy manager. Tony Larussa and Bobby Cox are alll time great managers but eh players. Ted Williams was a bad manager, but a great player. Sorry, the folks that use technology are ahead of those that refuse it. And it's looking more and more likely that the lightning is going to hit a second time for one Theo Epstein. Ya know a guy that doesn't play?

Sorry, you are Goose share one thing with this. Both being dead wrong.

This Hawk. Check out the Links. Goose should as well if anyone brings it to his attention.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
old.jpg

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Sorry, Joe Maddon is a top 3 coach right now and he never played the game.
As a side note here or a bit of picking nits, Maddon did play Pro ball in the Angels organization as a catcher. He just didn't get past A as a player.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This Hawk. Check out the Links. Goose should as well if anyone brings it to his attention.

What is the matter with either of those things? Fosse was clearly blocking the plate without the ball which allows the runner to take him out. It wasn't a dirty play and reflected totally the way Rose played the game, namely balls out. Yeah, he looked over Fosse but didn't taunt him as far as I could see anyway.

As for Mantle's bat flip. Did he glare at the pitcher beforehand of after he hit the ball? Mantle also flipped the bat when he grounded into double plays out of disgust. Also, Mantle didn't stand at the plate and ADMIRE his home run, did he? He didn't glare at the pitcher did he? Wasn't he facing right field and running when he flipped the bat?. I do not consider his bat flip as demeaning the pitcher like Bautista and others do.

Like I said before, I see nothing wrong with players being happy about doing something good or doing something out of hustle like Rose did. But don't show up the other guy. I just think differently about mocking other players than you do.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm pretty sure Goose would not count him as having "played the game."

Why are you making this a deal about managers?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
What is the matter with either of those things? Fosse was clearly blocking the plate without the ball which allows the runner to take him out. It wasn't a dirty play and reflected totally the way Rose played the game, namely balls out. Yeah, he looked over Fosse but didn't taunt him as far as I could see anyway.

As for Mantle's bat flip. Did he glare at the pitcher beforehand of after he hit the ball? Mantle also flipped the bat when he grounded into double plays out of disgust. Also, Mantle didn't stand at the plate and ADMIRE his home run, did he? He didn't glare at the pitcher did he? Wasn't he facing right field and running when he flipped the bat?. I do not consider his bat flip as demeaning the pitcher like Bautista and others do.

Like I said before, I see nothing wrong with players being happy about doing something good or doing something out of hustle like Rose did. But don't show up the other guy. I just think differently about mocking other players than you do.

You are completely biased to your viewpoint. Rose absolutely taunted. Mantle's bat flips are right on bar with Bautista's. The game has had characters all along. It's not new.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You are completely biased to your viewpoint. Rose absolutely taunted. Mantle's bat flips are right on bar with Bautista's. The game has had characters all along. It's not new.

It's not being biased at all. I just understand the game differently than you do. When I played and when Gossage and company played, there was an unwritten rule that it was bush league to show up the other player. Did taunting happen? Sure it did. So did bench jockeying and if it got too bad then we fought or got even later. But these guys like Bautista take this shit to another level with their theatrics and make a show of it. It is a question of degree I think. ANd to a large extent, pitchers became the enforcers of the "code". Like I said before, if Bautista were to ever do his act with Gossage, Drysdale, Marischal, Gibson, etc, he'd be wearing a 95 MPH fastball the next time he came up. That is just how the game got played.

You call the guys like Bautista nowadays, "characters", I call them punks.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Because Goose said nerds have ruined the game. I've proven him wrong yet again.

I don't think he said anything about managers so how have you proved him wrong? What is your point? Noone called Madden a nerd. I think he is a little quirky is all but that is okay. He is a kind of character who likes to have fun. I think he is a good manager myself.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Just out of curiosity, Hawk, how was Bill Veeck respecting the game when he had Eddie Gaedel go out there for laughs? Couldn't that spot have been filled with a guy with as much passion as Rose?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The game gets policed still Hawk. Bautista doesn't do anything near as bad as Rose and really isn't anything different than Mantle.

No one paid to watch Goose pitch. People do pay to watch Bautista hit though. The economics have been ramped up. It's always been the force, it's just infinitely more obvious now.

Beaning people on purpose because they took you deep is childish. For the most part that ugliness of the game is completely gone. Guys like Gibson, Drysdale, etc would be suspended multiple times a year for those kind of antics today.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I don't think he said anything about managers so how have you proved him wrong? What is your point? Noone called Madden a nerd. I think he is a little quirky is all but that is okay. He is a kind of character who likes to have fun. I think he is a good manager myself.

Goose called out those that are active in the game and ruining it because they are highly educated and using that education to play the game better. That swipes right at guys like Theo, Joe and the rest that don't just do things because their gut tells them to. Heck, they may have missed breakfast.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The game gets policed still Hawk. Bautista doesn't do anything near as bad as Rose and really isn't anything different than Mantle.

No one paid to watch Goose pitch. People do pay to watch Bautista hit though. The economics have been ramped up. It's always been the force, it's just infinitely more obvious now.

Beaning people on purpose because they took you deep is childish. For the most part that ugliness of the game is completely gone. Guys like Gibson, Drysdale, etc would be suspended multiple times a year for those kind of antics today.

You are wrong about Rose and Mantle. Rose didn't get his nickname Charley Hustle for nothing He was one of the greatest players who ever played the game and so was the Mick. You can have Bautista and his ilk.