1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Yessssss.

R.I.P. to the Tim Collins era.

choyne35

Liked Posts:
Yessssss.

R.I.P. to the Tim Collins era.
Ok let’s see what he has if he even gets to start a game anytime soon since Chatwood is starting tomorrow and not Alzolay. I just hope he performs better than the handful of AAA pitchers that have been called up to spot start over the last few years

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ok let’s see what he has if he even gets to start a game anytime soon since Chatwood is starting tomorrow and not Alzolay. I just hope he performs better than the handful of AAA pitchers that have been called up to spot start over the last few years

What it signafies is a change in mindset for Theo and Jed. Before they would have tossed Mills or Underwood out there for a game then tossed them back after a start regardless of the result.

This time they went out and made a sacrifice. They let Collins go instead of the controled Wick. Which was weird IMO. Then they approached it as they are protecting his development vs tossing him under the bus.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Sounds like he is just here for one day to back up Chatwood tonight.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sounds like he is just here for one day to back up Chatwood tonight.

I don't think that I agree with that.

I see it as Wick is the place holder for Kimbrel.

Collins was a DFA. So that opened up a 40 man roster spot. We will see what becomes of it.

But on some quotes.

"Right now, he's pitching extremely well," Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein said this past weekend in Los Angeles. "His curveball's been as good as I've ever seen it the last four or five starts. He's getting a ton of swings and misses with it. He's pitching really well up in the zone with his fastball. His changeup's really come on, too. So, three good weapons for him and pitching with great rhythm and a lot of confidence."

"He's such a good kid. And he's been through so much," Cubs pitching coach Tommy Hottovy said earlier this week. "Just for him to have that opportunity would be awesome when that time comes. And he's earned it. He's battled, and he's battled through a lot of stuff. So, it'd be really cool for a lot of fans that don't know him, to get to know him. He's such a poised young man."

"He's got great mound presence," Epstein said. "He gets the ball, goes right at hitters, gets stronger as the game goes on. So, he's in a really good place right now."

From what I'm seeing is they view Alzolay as a gem. They babied him last year and shut him down vs risking injury. Basically the same way they are treating Kyle. Then they are making his first start in the majors as the 2nd guy in. Which means that he will have some time to take in the Atmosphere before getting on the mound. I don't even know what these guys go through when they have 50K over their head. But going from a few 100 to that for the first time in the first inning. That has to be a tad over whelming.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Still waiting for your last call of Mekkes to get here, or on the 40 man.

I like him but he has struggled. Talent cap maybe in effect

I honestly believe this is a pre-curser for a trade for a left handed arm.

That is why I'm sitting back and watching it play out.

choyne35

Liked Posts:
I like him but he has struggled. Talent cap maybe in effect

I honestly believe this is a pre-curser for a trade for a left handed arm.

That is why I'm sitting back and watching it play out.
Who do
You think the cubs will end up acquiring and who all do you think will get traded away?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Who do
You think the cubs will end up acquiring and who all do you think will get traded away?

It is hard to say honest. I would believe that they would like to trade Chatwood.

They lack a impact trade chip to make a major play

So from my perspective on this. I would avoid dumping my system again. They did this already 2x and still have not recovered.

They could sign Smyly on a minor league deal and store him in Azl. Let him figure it out. That is more of a nice thing to do vs a solution.

As far as a solution.

Do nothing.

They are getting Kimbrel. Morrow is in limbo with Hendricks. It is fine. If a team wants to deal a lefty for Chatwood cool. If not then push Q into the pen in Oct and roll with what they have.

But as far as what I think that they will do? I don't have the foggiest. Alzolay kinda caught me off guard. I thought that they would promote soon but not like this.

Because it was unexpected my hard guess is they are over loading and will look to trade Chatwood.

choyne35

Liked Posts:
It is hard to say honest. I would believe that they would like to trade Chatwood.

They lack a impact trade chip to make a major play

So from my perspective on this. I would avoid dumping my system again. They did this already 2x and still have not recovered.

They could sign Smyly on a minor league deal and store him in Azl. Let him figure it out. That is more of a nice thing to do vs a solution.

As far as a solution.

Do nothing.

They are getting Kimbrel. Morrow is in limbo with Hendricks. It is fine. If a team wants to deal a lefty for Chatwood cool. If not then push Q into the pen in Oct and roll with what they have.

But as far as what I think that they will do? I don't have the foggiest. Alzolay kinda caught me off guard. I thought that they would promote soon but not like this.

Because it was unexpected my hard guess is they are over loading and will look to trade Chatwood.
So do you expect Happ and Russell or one of those to also be traded?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So do you expect Happ and Russell or one of those to also be traded?

Happ has little value.

Russell has too much value.

If Short didn't get injured early and has basically lost a year of development then I would feel different.

Baez has been sub performing post injury. You don't shoot your self in the foot by trading the only viable SS.

choyne35

Liked Posts:
Happ has little value.

Russell has too much value.

If Short didn't get injured early and has basically lost a year of development then I would feel different.

Baez has been sub performing post injury. You don't shoot your self in the foot by trading the only viable SS.
You make that trade if it lands you a
Lindor like some have suggested he could become available. Would love to see a Hand and Lindor for Happ, Russell, Amaya and one of the top pitching prospects

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You make that trade if it lands you a
Lindor like some have suggested he could become available. Would love to see a Hand and Lindor for Happ, Russell, Amaya and one of the top pitching prospects

This thought process has been gone over in the MLBTR forums.

My perspective is the Cubs lack impact.

Best case is Russell Amaya and Marquez. I doubt that the Cubs trade Nico.

I just don't think that Cleveland will sell that low to be honest.

But adding Hand? That is the same return.

Cubs don't have that leverage.

I just see them waiting for their prospects to become hot topics. Use them to leverage negotiation with Baez and Contreras.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If I had to Hardline a deal it would be Vic to a team needing a starting catcher with control. Toss in Happ and a arm. Then sign a back up catcher. They are always out there.