Guillen: Cubs harder to manage than White Sox

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ozzie Guillen: Chicago White Sox easier to manage than Chicago Cubs - ESPN Chicago

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Ozzie Guillen is sure to get some Chicago White Sox fans in an uproar again with his latest offering: Expectations to win make it harder to manage on the North Side than the South Side.

Guillen was talking about Lou Piniella's decision to make Sunday his last day with the Chicago Cubs when he was asked about the tougher side to manage. The context of the question was about how run down guys like Dusty Baker and Piniella looked at the end of their Cubs tenure.

"I think it's easy to manage this side because they don't expect us to win," Guillen said. "When you manage the other side ... I remember two years ago, we didn't even hit spring training and all of a sudden [the Cubs] are going to win the championship and they have [Kosuke] Fukudome on the front page. That's a lot of pressure.

"... The expectations on that side of town is higher, there's no question about it. I don't know if it's tougher or not because I never was on that side. But looking from far away, coming to the ballpark every day and how many years they've gone through [without winning a World Series], a lot of people talk about winning a championship, but it's a lot of losing years out there, a lot. That's frustrating. There's no doubt it's easier to come to this side of town and work. I think it's definitely tougher to work out there than to work here."

It isn't the only thing he has said over the past few days that has caused a stir. He also said there are more important things than winning a game, in reference to the fact that he was playing it safe with Edwin Jackson, who didn't pitch in Saturday's doubleheader. Jackson warmed up and threw seven pitches Friday before that game was postponed.

"Like I said [Saturday] before the game: I'd rather lose a game than lose Jackson," Guillen said. "And we won the game, so that's important."

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I decided to post this in both the Cubs and Sox forums.

I think Ozzie has a good point. For whatever reasons, most Cubs fans predict great things for their team. I think generally White Sox fans have a better knowledge of the game, as a whole, and therefore are more realistic in prediction-making and manging expectations.

And it puts a lot of pressure on managers for losing when masses of people believe that their team should be winning.

Last edited:

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Nothing wrong with what he said. They have higher expectations there considering how many years of losing they've had to endure as fans.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I agree its a harder job

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Especially in the middle of a division race

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
nice avatar. hahahaa

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
you should have been bea arthur :shifty:

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
I agree, so much pressure.

Livewire

Liked Posts:
The Cubs are like the modern day Oakland Raiders, every player and coach that comes to the team turns to shit and they are revived once they leave the north side.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks