Has Chris Sale made his case for the Cy Young Award?

ChicagoDawg1991

If there was any game for Chris Sale to make some noise in the American League Cy Young Award Race, this would have been the game to prove that hes worth looking at. After tonight, I have no doubt he will be as the he went 7.2 innings allowing just 1 run on 3 hits, 1 walk and mowed down 13 Yankees and for the first time in 21 years, the White Sox have swept the Yankees in Chicago tonight by the final score of 2-1!

With the win, Sale now moves to 15-4 with a 2.65 Earned Run Average. He also has now 150 strikeouts in 153 innings of work while giving up only 36 walks and 122 hits. Currently ranking among the American League pitchers, he is 3rd in wins and WHIP(1.03), while ranking 4th in win percentage(.789%) and ERA and is 7th in strikeouts. It appears that Justin Verlander, Jered Weaver, David Price and Felix Hernandez are the clear 4 favorites for it and I believe he has proven himself that he should be in the mix for it.

What do you think fans? Has the 23 year old southpaw from Lakeland, Florida proven himself worthy?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
He has more wins than a couple of them, but I think it'd still be difficult to get past David Price, King Felix and Verlander, especially since he doesn't have as many innings logged as the other guys and his peripherals are only slightly worse. However, if Sale wins the Cy Young, I won't complain because he should be in the conversation for sure.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
he should be in the conversation. I like Price right now.

It will all depend on the stretch run IMO.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with prior posts. In a word, yes. But will it happen? I'm not holding my breath.

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
Should he be considered? Absolutely. It'll be tough to win though as there's a couple other guys with just as good if not better stats that haven't needed additional time to rest throughout the year.

DaBearsrule4ever

Liked Posts:
Sale has made his case for the A.L. Cy Young award this year. Sale has gone beyond my expectations this year. Will Sale win it? Probably not but should be in serious consideration forsure.

Huffalicious

Liked Posts:
He has more wins than a couple of them, but I think it'd still be difficult to get past David Price, King Felix and Verlander, especially since he doesn't have as many innings logged as the other guys and his peripherals are only slightly worse. However, if Sale wins the Cy Young, I won't complain because he should be in the conversation for sure.
Sale should be mentioned in the conversation for Cy Young, yes. But that's just the thing. He has a lot less innings than most of the other guys that are being talked about. I don't see him winning it this year because of that.

Tampabear

Liked Posts:
Price loses everytime I wear my lucky Sox shirt to the Trop. If it would help Sale, I'll invest in a few more Rays games.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Sums it up perfectly. :clap:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its all price. verlander wont win it. sale wont win it. but i will say having a true dominant ace is a nice thing to have. the kid is special.

Sent from my USCfans guide to being an uneducated baseball fan using Tapatalk

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
Yes. His win to loss ratio. Plus ERA, Plus how he does against top teams, should def win the award!

Huffalicious

Liked Posts:
Yes. His win to loss ratio. Plus ERA, Plus how he does against top teams, should def win the award!
Well, "definitely" he wouldn't win the award at this point. If the season were to end today, David Price would take the award. His one more win over Sale, .40 point lower ERA, and his 13 more innings pitched gives him a slight edge. Sale however, holds a slight WHIP advantage.

We'll see who pitches better for the last month and a week of baseball, but for now, I think it's a pretty close race between Chris Sale and David Price.

Also, off-topic, I see we both went to the Blue Jays game on June 5th and 7th. :D