How much have the Chicago Cubs missed Jorge Soler?

Ron Burgundy

jorge-soler-mlb-chicago-cubs-st.-louis-cardinals-game-two-850x560-e1435862890452.jpg

As of Wednesday night --a 2-0 win for the Chicago Cubs-- the northsiders have been without Jorge Soler for exactly one month. With the Cubs mired in an offensive slump (9 runs in their last 7 games), and Soler rehabbing*in Triple-A, it seemed an appropriate time to look at what exactly the right fielder means to this young Cubs team.Pre injury, the Cubs were 27-22, slashed .239/.318/.385, and were averaging 4.1 runs per game. Post injury, the Cubs have managed a 14-13 record, are slashing .250/.319/.379, and are averaging 3.6 runs per game. The latter includes a 12 and 17 run outburst, so that skews the day-to-day results since it's a much smaller sample size. Logically, then, the numbers don't tell the whole story.[caption id="attachment_38849" align="alignleft" width="300"] Will Jorge Soler's impending return help the Chicago Cubs struggling offense?[/caption]The primary issue Soler's absence has caused is making starters out of players like Matt Szczur and Mike Baxter. Not awful players, but assuredly not starters. Soler was slashing .265/.322/.402. During their time in the*outfield, Baxter is slashing .259/.333/.259 (0 extra base hits), and Szczur is slashing .219/.244/.341 (3 extra base hits).Soler wasn't slugging the way the Cubs hope he ultimately will, but with the Cubs's high strikeout rate (24.4% --2nd highest in the majors) the slugging potential becomes much more critical, as the chances of stringing together singles lessens even further. Soler provides that despite his own alarming*strikeout rate (32.2%), where Baxter, Szczur, and to a lesser extent, Chris Denorfia, do not. So even when Soler isn't peaking, the threat his bat brings to the lineup is more crucial than his numbers suggest, and is more in line with the front office's overarching strategy in lineup construction. And with his .573 slugging percentage across 24 games last season, the Cubs are hoping his current .402 will trend upward upon his return.It will also be a welcome return to have a cannon back in right field.The Cubs are good. They are a lot better when Jorge Soler is on the field.

More...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Soler was leading the NL in strike outs when he went to the DL. If anything this time off may end up like a reset for him so he can finish the season strong. He was known as having a good strike zone mastery when he was in the minors. He was at 4.46 SO's per BB. ML pitching was carving him up. So he really needed to reset and re-evaluate his approach at the plate. Kris Bryant: 2.25 SO per BB. Russell: 4.11 SO per BB. So just looking at development this is a red flag to me. It really shows where a player is at.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Yep. He was certainly struggling at the plate, but if he gets better against the breakers away, he is a solid bat at the 2 spot putting Rizzo and Bryant where they could raise their games. They aren't firing together right now either. Knowing how much this team has struggled at the plate lately and they are still above .500 bodes well for the second half where I believe the schedule is more friendly, if I ha e my information correct.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't I've seen a player more overwhelmed my cold weather than Soler. He was dressed like it was 20 degrees when it was 50....plus I still say that goofy mask he wore blocked his vision. It should be in the 70s this weekend, maybe he'll only have to wear his long underwear.

:cmonman:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yep. He was certainly struggling at the plate, but if he gets better against the breakers away, he is a solid bat at the 2 spot putting Rizzo and Bryant where they could raise their games. They aren't firing together right now either. Knowing how much this team has struggled at the plate lately and they are still above .500 bodes well for the second half where I believe the schedule is more friendly, if I ha e my information correct.

He should be hitting #2. All I care with him is if he can get his OBA over .350. That will take a SO:BB ratio under 3. But the optimum line up would be Fowler, Soler, Rizzo, Bryant, Montero, Castro, Coghlan, Pitcher, Russell.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
He was struggling, but just his presence in the line-up helped out a helluva lot, I think

DaRev

Liked Posts:
He should be hitting #2. All I care with him is if he can get his OBA over .350. That will take a SO:BB ratio under 3. But the optimum line up would be Fowler, Soler, Rizzo, Bryant, Montero, Castro, Coghlan, Pitcher, Russell.
Deadly lineup

TL1961

Liked Posts:

For as bad as the offense has been recently, as baas a sweep at the hands of a team leading by 8.5 going into the sweep, as bad as a 5 game losing streak all felt - the Cubs are 7 games over .500 while not at all firing like we feel they can.

There are 6 teams in baseball with a better record. Six.

We need to get Bryant going again, and Soler needs to be more disciplined. I believe Russell is better offensively than he has shown so far. As Harry would say "Let's get some runs!"

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Coghlan at #2, and Soler at #5 would be better. Worried about R-L? Make him #6 behind Montero.

Personally, I would like to see Russell somewhere other than 9th. But as much as I question the P batting 8th, it does prevent the opponent from completely throwing crap to the rookie. I have seen so many rookies come up and struggle because they get put in the 8th slot and never see good pitches. I will give Joe that much - it does have some benefit.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Joe has the hang up on L/R/L. It is to keep the other team's pen from getting 2 AB's vs just 1 AB. Or to burn up their arms faster.

If cogs is #2 then it would go Bryant 3 Rizzo 4 Soler 5 Montero 6.

I personally don't think they will do this. Cogs most likely is not back next year. So they are not going to plug him into a role like that. Begin to depend on him. then pull the plug and cause a issue with run generation.

Soler makes sense because he is long term. Russell would work as a 2 hitter. But he is still not ready for that yet. FTR I believe Russell ends up the long term #2 hitter.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I dont think maddon will put Soler back at no.2, at least not when he returns. .. based on that he struggled getting on base consistently ahead of Rizzo and Bryant earlier in season . .

Surprise they didn't activate him for this weekend series unless they plan on doing it after Roach start tomorrow. . Send Roach down and bring up Soler for Sunday. .

Have to think during the break their going to be some roster shuffling to start 2nd half, specially bench and pen..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Confused as to why Soler wasnt activated today..

Get him a few ABs and settled in before facing Cardinals

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It'll be nice having his presence back in the lineup. I'm a fan of anything that forced Mike Baxter far away from Wrigley.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It'll be nice having his presence back in the lineup. I'm a fan of anything that forced Mike Baxter far away from Wrigley.

Soler and Baxter are both in the lineup. Baxter is at 1st.

But after today, we won't see much of Baxter.