IGT: Blackhawks @ Canadiens 3/14 at 6:30 p.m.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He truly is an amazing player. Especially for a 38 year old player. The guy is a freeking pit bull when it comes to getting to and keeping the puck and is fun to watch on both sides of the ice.

While I agree about Hossa, you are really ruining my attempt to troll Tater by suggesting Hossa play on the 4th line lol

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I am going to disagree a bit... blunt force doesn't 100% cause your brain to bounce thus causing concussions.

If it did then every single MMA fighter and Boxer who has ever fought would have CTE beyond the level of the NFL.

Crow getting hit by a slapshot shouldn't concuss him as easily as you think in large part because of the gear absorbing alot of the force, but also because the force has to be applied so that your brain bounces off the inside of your skull. Getting hit hard on the chin will slide the bone into the nerve and KO you, but that is totally separate from whether force is applied to your head in such quantity that your brain bounces hard enough off your skull to concuss you.

I am not saying it is impossible for Crow to get concussed from a slapshot to the head, but enough force needs to make it though the equipment and drive Crow's head at odds with the ice or net so you get that force driving the brain into the skull.

I think in this case he got tagged on the mask/chin and it rocked him like a good punch from a fighter, but did not cause the brain to bounce producing concussion symptoms.

I think the goalie helmets are engineered to withstand a good amount of force ... but a triple-digit slapper from Weber? I don't think you can make equipment efficient enough to handle that blow. It's a very rare occurrence that a slapper catches a goalie square in the mask like that one did. Of course we'll never know if it caused the brain bounce that induces a concussion as you explained (and quite well, might I add), but the way Crawford went down and the look on his face when the cameras caught him after he got back up had the look, to me, of someone who wasn't experiencing total mental clarity in that moment.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd wager decent money that Crawford had at least a mild concussion last night if he'd been given a proper medical examination. I don't think it's possible to take a slapper like that in the face and not have some sort of concussion. Terrifying moment.

We'll have to see how that progresses. At least initially it didn't seem to stop him from bailing out all 6 D-men's carcasses late in the 3rd.

You'd have to think if your netminder takes a slapshot that, 50 years ago, would have required a coroner; that the D would tighten things up comparable to the anatomy of a waterfowl, rather than playing it fast and loose.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
While I agree about Hossa, you are really ruining my attempt to troll Tater by suggesting Hossa play on the 4th line lol

image.png

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think the goalie helmets are engineered to withstand a good amount of force ... but a triple-digit slapper from Weber? I don't think you can make equipment efficient enough to handle that blow. It's a very rare occurrence that a slapper catches a goalie square in the mask like that one did. Of course we'll never know if it caused the brain bounce that induces a concussion as you explained (and quite well, might I add), but the way Crawford went down and the look on his face when the cameras caught him after he got back up had the look, to me, of someone who wasn't experiencing total mental clarity in that moment.

I agree but I think it got him like a punch that turns the lights off.... usually with concussions you don't go down like that.... you just get woozy and want to keep going if you are an athlete.

Of course part of this is me hoping for that cause it is best for Crow.... you can get your lights turned off 20 times and it isn't too bad for you.... concussions are very bad as we know.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Sorry:(

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree but I think it got him like a punch that turns the lights off.... usually with concussions you don't go down like that.... you just get woozy and want to keep going if you are an athlete.

Of course part of this is me hoping for that cause it is best for Crow.... you can get your lights turned off 20 times and it isn't too bad for you.... concussions are very bad as we know.

What this showed me is how fucking crazy those goalies were back in the day! I remember Glenn Hall, Terry Sawchuck, etc. And they wore NO MASKS whatsoever.? It really is amazing to me that goalies weren't killed back then!!

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
AA supposedly out 3 to 4 weeks, aka until right around the playoffs.

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What this showed me is how fucking crazy those goalies were back in the day! I remember Glenn Hall, Terry Sawchuck, etc. And they wore NO MASKS whatsoever.? It really is amazing to me that goalies weren't killed back then!!

Truly fearless/crazy lol

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I don't think guys were cracking 100+ MPH slappers, either, but ... yeah those guys were fucking insane.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think guys were cracking 100+ MPH slappers, either, but ... yeah those guys were fucking insane.

Yeah triple digit slapshots would have literally killed someone

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd wager decent money that Crawford had at least a mild concussion last night if he'd been given a proper medical examination. I don't think it's possible to take a slapper like that in the face and not have some sort of concussion. Terrifying moment.
Going off of what I leaned, concussions are caused by the brain bouncing around the skull. If my memory serves, Crawford's head didn't twist on the horizontal axis much nor did it snap back that violently (certainly not as hard as the head-acceleration Hossa had when Torres blindsided him)--nor did it look like his head bounced off the ice like Parros'.

While I certainly would have quiet-roomed him for the rest of the period, I think his play since proved it wasn't too serious--after all, he did carry the carcasses of all 6 d-men for the remainder of the game.

Yeah triple digit slapshots would have literally killed someone

Bobby Hull has the fastest shot recorded, at 118.3mph. He's been on record saying his brother Dennis, was even harder. So, yeah, they could have killed someone back then but I think most of that was in the pre-curved stick era so the shots tended low and I believe when they started at the NHL level it was still illegal for a goalie to drop down.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I don't know what the guns were back then but no one shot the puck harder than Bobby Hull that I ever saw or heard. I remember so well the "noise" in the stadium when Hull got the puck behind his own net and started up the ice. There was like a low hmmm with people holding their breath until it happened. He released his SHOT and no matter where it went, there was a gasp from the crowd. I like a lot of sports but NO SPORT is as exciting as hockey and no player I have ever seen was as exciting as Bobby Hull.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Going off of what I leaned, concussions are caused by the brain bouncing around the skull. If my memory serves, Crawford's head didn't twist on the horizontal axis much nor did it snap back that violently (certainly not as hard as the head-acceleration Hossa had when Torres blindsided him)--nor did it look like his head bounced off the ice like Parros'.

While I certainly would have quiet-roomed him for the rest of the period, I think his play since proved it wasn't too serious--after all, he did carry the carcasses of all 6 d-men for the remainder of the game.

Bobby Hull has the fastest shot recorded, at 118.3mph. He's been on record saying his brother Dennis, was even harder. So, yeah, they could have killed someone back then but I think most of that was in the pre-curved stick era so the shots tended low and I believe when they started at the NHL level it was still illegal for a goalie to drop down.

I remember those days really well. Dennis didn't have the over-all game that his brother did but he certainly had a big time shot.

I met Bobby at a tent at the Illinois State fair the year that he left the Hawks and went to Winnipeg. It was a BEER TENT. So, I was watching the girls parade around and there he was just leaning and watching like I was. So I said, You're Bobby Hull right? He said yes but please do not make a big deal about it. I sure didn't but we talked for maybe a half an hour and he was just a real regular guy. We bought each other beers. He was at the fair because he had a horse ranch and bred thoroughbreds and had a couple racing at the fair. I told him how I enjoyed watching him play and hated he was leaving. He told me that the money was too much to turn down:) Was the only time that I ever talked to a great in the game and it was great that it was Bobby Hull.