In review

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears exceeded expectations. After several straight seasons in the division basement, they suddenly came out of nowhere to dominate the division with only the Packers preventing a complete sweep, hit double digit wins and won the division. Sure the schedule was pretty easy but they beat most of the teams they should have beaten and won some we didn't think they would.

The starting QB missed two games, but other than that the team was remarkably injury-free and enjoyed great health throughout the year.

Then came the playoffs. A home game against the Eagles. They were expected to win, but somehow just lacked the panache they had shown through most of the regular season, played flat, and lost a bitterly disappointing game to be one and done, leaving some fans wondering whether they really are the genuine article or if they overachieved.

It was the 2001 season and was a mighty enjoyable ride.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
It definitely was a great season and it sucks to see the season end the way it did these last 4 or 5 days. Hopefully these guys take that next step, it’s all going to be on Mitch’s shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I actually had far fewer expectations in 2001 than this year, but largely agree with you. I suppose that is probably not good enough but that's the story of my "CCS life".

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I actually had far fewer expectations in 2001 than this year, but largely agree with you. I suppose that is probably not good enough but that's the story of my "CCS life".

Same here; this team is more talented. But it's funny how many similarities there were between the two seasons.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
I agree. Great season. My bottom expectation for the team was .500, and they well exceeded that.

I would only point out that I do not believe the playoffs was the first time the offense was flat. There were wins where the offense was flat, and that was my concern...it wouldn't hold up in the playoffs. Our 14-9 win against the 49ers was concerning.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Honestly, it was nice to have fun again watching games and talking football.

They simply did not have the experience, focus, attention to detail, required to win a playoff game. Hopefully, that hurdle is out of the way now.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Honestly, it was nice to have fun again watching games and talking football.

They simply did not have the experience, focus, attention to detail, required to win a playoff game. Hopefully, that hurdle is out of the way now.

I still believe Nagy and Co. were looking ahead in the playoffs and didn't give the Eagles game the attention it deserved.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy played it too close to the vest to protect Mitch from making a mistake due to the high stakes. He got in his own head and played not to lose. Close games like that can easily go either way.

It was nice to see the Bears relevant again. The double digit wins was a breath of fresh air. Based on the Trestman years however, I can no longer enjoy the wins like I did in the early 2000's. I just keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Luke

Liked Posts:
12 wins in one season compared to a total of 14 in the prior three seasons says it all.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still believe Nagy and Co. were looking ahead in the playoffs and didn't give the Eagles game the attention it deserved.

Bullshit. Lost in your narrative is the fact they ultimately lost cause their shit kicker doinked a fg after being iced like the bitch he is. Lost in your narrative is the fact their MVP did not play and neither did their gutless starting TE.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Bullshit. Lost in your narrative is the fact they ultimately lost cause their shit kicker doinked a fg after being iced like the bitch he is. Lost in your narrative is the fact their MVP did not play and neither did their gutless starting TE.

Well that's the superficial reason we lost. The gameplan was trash, which was my actual point. With a good game plan, we don't need to rely on our garbage kicker.

So bullshit on you.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And one other similarity I didn't include in the OP - both home Eagles games would have been rewarded with a road trip to play the Rams had they won.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well that's the superficial reason we lost. The gameplan was trash, which was my actual point. With a good game plan, we don't need to rely on our garbage kicker.

So bullshit on you.
I wipe my ass with what you think you know about a game plan.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The Bears exceeded expectations. After several straight seasons in the division basement, they suddenly came out of nowhere to dominate the division with only the Packers preventing a complete sweep, hit double digit wins and won the division. Sure the schedule was pretty easy but they beat most of the teams they should have beaten and won some we didn't think they would.

The starting QB missed two games, but other than that the team was remarkably injury-free and enjoyed great health throughout the year.

Then came the playoffs. A home game against the Eagles. They were expected to win, but somehow just lacked the panache they had shown through most of the regular season, played flat, and lost a bitterly disappointing game to be one and done, leaving some fans wondering whether they really are the genuine article or if they overachieved.

It was the 2001 season and was a mighty enjoyable ride.
Could you, in no less than 500 words, give an assessment on Trubisky's year, and his career outlook?

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
In 2001, you could tell it was smoke and mirrors. So many flukish things happened, and going into that playoff game, I knew the Bears would get killed. 2001 is still one of my all time favorite seasons from an entertainment standpoint.

This season?

NOT a fluke - a 5-1 regular season record against teams that made the playoffs, and no game lost by more than a TD should tell people that, as well as the number of Bears that are pro bowl /all pro.

No, this season is the start of something. The Bears with a harder schedule next year could win less games, but still be progressing, as I expect them to be back in the playoffs.