Interesting tidbit on Neal Anderson...would you have drafted him knowing this?

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Darren Lewis was the guy the Bears drafted by mistake. They meant to take another guy named Darren Lewis out of Texas A&I, not the one from Texas A&M.

malcore

Darren Lewis was the guy the Bears drafted by mistake. They meant to take another guy named Darren Lewis out of Texas A&I, not the one from Texas A&M.

I think they took the guy they wanted, but mistakenly (so Tobin says) thought it was the other guy who had tested positive at the combine for coke. Not a very believable excuse from Tobin, considering this guy was 1st rd talent with baggage who fell to the 6th. lol.

Last edited:

Major Ursa

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Utah State Aggies
Anderson was one of my favorite Bears ever. Great receiver too. I had his "Bear Necessity" poster on the wall for many years.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Slow time of year, summer reruns, training camp still a ways off, idle curiosity or sheer boredom draws you back to Jeff George threads time and again.

You really outdid yourself with the sig this time. You do great work, and I thank you for your contribution to CCS.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes, I would still have drafted him and it was his style of running through blocks that wore him out. I take 8 great years from any pick, especially a RB. There's only a few Walters in the world that stay productive beyond that time. Best value in the $20 build a team thread.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
Like the other poster said Neal was a free agent and had the hammy issue. It was an easy decision.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
...oh my god...

Why do I keep opening your threads?!?

I need a twelve step program or a shock collar.

I keep forgetting to read the names of the thread starters myself.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I keep forgetting to read the names of the thread starters myself.

Right?

I just saw "interesting tidbit on Neal Anderson" and said to myself : "I liked Anderson" and click away.

...I'm reading the OP trying to discern the "interesting tidbit"...so I follow the link...mostly about his college days and the article is dated 2005...still not interesting....

....I re-read the OP and it finally dawns on me he is referring to eight year quote that he was not only upfront about, but seemed pretty lofty at the time considering who he was following...

....so now I am thinking that the OP is questioning the pick because a professional athlete set goals for himself...WTF?

...that is when I see the name Jeff George and I say to myself:

...oh my god...

Why do I keep opening your threads?!?

I need a twelve step program or a shock collar.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Everyone thinks Neal flamed out of the league because of the hamstring.

And while his best days were behind him when he left the game....turns out it WAS NOT because of injury.

8 years was his plan before he was even drafted by us...

He was great and yeah...I still would have drafted him knowing that.

What the Bears seemed to forget though was to plan for it. Ditka and Wanny did not draft or sign ANYBODY to groom that was worthy of being his successor.

I guess they thought he was bluffing.

http://florida.scout.com/2/366654.html#/2/366654.html

Given the longevity of running backs, it would still be worth it.
Jim Brown pretty much pulled the same thing.

What I didn't know until I was reading up on it just now is that Brown might have played another year, but Art Modell pressed the issue and brown retired.
Coming off a 1500+ yard season (in the 14 game season days), Brown spent the offseason filming a movie (his real income, since football wasnt the cash cow it is now)
Finishing the "Dirty Dozen" would have made him miss much of training camp and Art Modell said he would fine Brown if he wasn't back for TC. Brown said shove it and retired.