is butler going to get an extension?

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
This might be the best thing to happen as it proteins to our title hopes. He obviously thought he was worth more and will go out there to prove it. In my eyes, if this team is healthy, Jimmy is the X Factor in us beating Cleveland or losing to them. He's a top 3 wing defender in the game and if his offense continues like it has through his pre season and 1 regular season game, we'll be in good shape. Bulls more than likely will match an offer he gets anyway.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Or sign and trade. If he is not worth the money he is not worth the money. I am not so sure his value will be as high as some people think. His reasonable comparisons are in the 4-6 million dollar range. If he shoots 32% from 3 and 43% from the field he is a 4-6 million guy. The Stevenson comparisons don't seem accurate to me. Stevenson shot 49% from the field averaged 14/7/4.5 is a year younger and has been healthier. Stevenson didn't even get 10 a year. I know Charles "dumb shit" Barkley stated Butler should get 12 million, but that is why he would be laughable as a GM.

Tony Allen who is a very comparable player is getting 5 million a year.

If Butler wants more than what Gibson got and some team is dumb enough to pay him that, well I say sign and trade and use the exception to bring in a SG/SF who can actually shoot the ball.

Tony Allen is anything but comparable to Jimmy Butler. Now that's laughable. He has nowhere near the offensive, rebounding or passing skills. He doesn't draw fouls, and knocks down those foul shots at a high rate. He's not as athletic, or quick, and let's not forget the fact he's 7 YEARS OLDER. The only thing comparable is their defense and Butler still tops him at that.

Alec Burks, who wasn't even a regular starter last season, got a 4/$48m extension and you're telling me that Butler is in the $4-6m range? In the current market, Butler is worth just as much, if not more. He's an All-NBA defender, arguably the best perimeter defender in the league. He's quick, athletic, and tough as nails with an endless motor. He is a difference maker on the court, who has shown the potential to be one of the best two-way wings in the game if he remains consistent. All this and the guy was the last pick in the 1st round in 2011.

If he has a stellar year, which I believe he will, the FO is going to look silly not agreeing to that deal. Butler will get a max offer from another club, especially with a projected significant rise in the salary cap.

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:
stop comparing him to Taj....he signed 2 years ago....its a different market now

if Taj was a upcoming FA he would have the same deal Faried got 4/50m

right now Gibson is a steal compared to what he would get on the open market

1st, I'll compare him to whoever I want to.

2nd, Faried led the USA team and played great. Taj wasn't on the team.

3rd, I mentioned the "new market" in my post.

4th, I guarantee you the Bulls were looking at Taj's salary as a comparison.

5th, the Bulls would not pay Taj as much as Noah, who was defensive player of the year. No matter what market.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I agree that Butler is a better player than Tony Allen. Allen is one-dimensional, I think Butler showed against Minnesota that he has more to his game. $5mil for Butler would be an absolute steal. He plays within himself, yet he is confident in his abilities and plays with confidence. He is progressing nicely and I hope he sticks around.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Alec Burks is getting 4/48, you best believe we're paying at least 11M for Jimmy if we keep him. If this two way play continues though, he may actually prove himself worth it.

czman

Liked Posts:
Tony Allen is anything but comparable to Jimmy Butler. Now that's laughable. He has nowhere near the offensive, rebounding or passing skills. He doesn't draw fouls, and knocks down those foul shots at a high rate. He's not as athletic, or quick, and let's not forget the fact he's 7 YEARS OLDER. The only thing comparable is their defense and Butler still tops him at that.

Alec Burks, who wasn't even a regular starter last season, got a 4/$48m extension and you're telling me that Butler is in the $4-6m range? In the current market, Butler is worth just as much, if not more. He's an All-NBA defender, arguably the best perimeter defender in the league. He's quick, athletic, and tough as nails with an endless motor. He is a difference maker on the court, who has shown the potential to be one of the best two-way wings in the game if he remains consistent. All this and the guy was the last pick in the 1st round in 2011.

If he has a stellar year, which I believe he will, the FO is going to look silly not agreeing to that deal. Butler will get a max offer from another club, especially with a projected significant rise in the salary cap.

Here is what I am talling you. The league does not value defense wings who cannot shot the 3. The league does not value guys who cannot stay healthy.

Since Tibs has taken over the Bulls every FA 1/2/3 that played for the Bulls has taken less money than people here thought when they left. People thought DJ and Nate would get paid and guess what they didn't. Deng thought he would get 3-4 years at 12-14 and he got 2 at 10 per.

Most teams want 1 defensive stopper and 3-5 guys on the perimeter who can score and shoot. If Butler shoots ~28% from 3 he is not going to get paid. Yeah if he shoots ~37% from 3 he is going to get 12 million. If he shoots 40%+ from 3 he could get a max deal.

As for his game against the Timberwolves.....that is not sustainable. 15 ft is ridiculous. He also was 2 for 5 on shoots outside the paint. I know every wants to crown Butler the next big thing because he played well against a bad defensive team with no shot blocking. The regular season is just for grins. The Bulls are a playoff team every year now. Butler was the primary reason the Bulls lost in the playoffs. He would not shoot open jumpers frequently enough and the Wizards were able to play 5 on 3 because they did not respect Noah or Butler shooting the ball. That is exactly what will happen in the playoffs this season if he cannot shoot and hit open jumpers. The playoffs are the last thing people see before they give out contracts.

I hope Butler shoots ~40% from 3 and ~48% from the field this year and gets paid a bunch. If he shoots 28% from 3 and 40% from the filed, like last season, and the Bulls pay him 12 million dollars they are done.

czman

Liked Posts:
If Alec Burks is getting 4/48, you best believe we're paying at least 11M for Jimmy if we keep him. If this two way play continues though, he may actually prove himself worth it.

That is a bad comparison. Yes it only takes one stupid team to overpay someone, but that does not make it right. How the hell did Josh Smith get 4 years and 54 million? Bad GMs give out bad contracts, that is why they are bad GMs and that is why some teams are consistently at the bottom of the league. Pekovic picked up 5 years and 60 million. Gerald Wallace is getting 4 years 40 million. Gilbert Arenas was given 6 years and 111 million.

Yes teams give out bad contracts all the time. Let's hope the Bulls don't do that.

czman

Liked Posts:
Tony Allen is anything but comparable to Jimmy Butler. Now that's laughable.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

per 36 minutes ppg/reb/ast
Tony Allen: 13.8/5.3/2.3 all-defense 1st team twice 2nd team once
Jimmy Butler: 12.1/5/2.2 all defense 2nd team once

Shooting: fg/3p/ft
Tony Allen: 48/26/73
Jimmy Butler: 43/31/78

Tony Allen is older, but being young does not mean you will get better. There career numbers are very similar. Tony Allen rates out very favorably to Butler in advanced defensive metrics.

My guess is you don't watch much basketball. Do you remember Tony Allen giving the best scorer in basketball fits?

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
1st, I'll compare him to whoever I want to.

2nd, Faried led the USA team and played great. Taj wasn't on the team.

3rd, I mentioned the "new market" in my post.

4th, I guarantee you the Bulls were looking at Taj's salary as a comparison.

5th, the Bulls would not pay Taj as much as Noah, who was defensive player of the year. No matter what market.

fair point about Faried but Taj would still get more than hes making right now

you say you mentioned new market but are refusing to adapt

Jimmy turned down 11m so his agent thinks he can get more and this guy is supposed to be in the know

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That is a bad comparison. Yes it only takes one stupid team to overpay someone, but that does not make it right. How the hell did Josh Smith get 4 years and 54 million? Bad GMs give out bad contracts, that is why they are bad GMs and that is why some teams are consistently at the bottom of the league. Pekovic picked up 5 years and 60 million. Gerald Wallace is getting 4 years 40 million. Gilbert Arenas was given 6 years and 111 million.

Yes teams give out bad contracts all the time. Let's hope the Bulls don't do that.
If Jimmy shows that he improved his game to a point where he not only provides elite level defense, but is also a consistent offensive option, is that still a bad contract?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think that Butler is showing a similar progression that Gibson has had. Two tough minded guys whose games didn't look pretty. But to their credit they both have over-achieved what the so-called experts predicted for them. I remember when Gibson was drafted and a lot of people figured he would be out of the league very quickly. He couldn't shoot worth a lick and was clumsy with the ball. Now look at him. He may be the biggest value in the NBA right now.

Butler is now at his crossroad. When he got drafted it was similar to Gibson. He looked like a robot out on the court. He couldn't shoot worth a lick. But he has busted his ass to make himself a viable starting player on a very good team. Now he is playing with a chip on his shoulder to merit a great contract. I love these stories which happen right before your eyes. Two guys who are achieving much success after pretty much being pigeon holed into a place they didn't want for themselves.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
If he's a 20+ ppg scorer this season, he's getting a max deal.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If he's a 20+ ppg scorer this season, he's getting a max deal.
As he should be because at that point he'd be one of the best two way SGs in the league. I don't he averages 20 though. Maybe 15-17 if he's really hitting his shots.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
he wont be a 20+ scorer...agree with clone on the 15-17 number

Jimmy looks like hes primed for a big season

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Jimmy will be improved offensively it looks like. He did have 20+ games last season though then go huge stretches of struggling. He was mightly inconsistent.

I still want to see what he can do with Rose. Hopefully the two of them can be on the court together soon.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
Jimmy will be improved offensively it looks like. He did have 20+ games last season though then go huge stretches of struggling. He was mightly inconsistent.

I still want to see what he can do with Rose. Hopefully the two of them can be on the court together soon.

Rose/Jimmy have only played 300 minutes together

czman

Liked Posts:
If Jimmy shows that he improved his game to a point where he not only provides elite level defense, but is also a consistent offensive option, is that still a bad contract?

Not sure if you remember, but I was the biggest Butler supporter when he shot ~48% from 3 for those 3 months. I thought he had turned the corner and was going to be a ~40% shooter from 3. If he can hit the open 3 with consistency, he deserves to get paid by the Bulls. If he can't he needs to go to the bench. It is going to all but impossible to beat good teams in the playoffs with Butler and Noah out there if neither can hit open shots.

I don't care how well he defends or how well he drives. He can't shoot 28% from 3 and play ~38 minutes a night. Not at the modern NBA. You can get away with a lot in the regular season, but that crap will not work in the playoffs.

czman

Liked Posts:
As he should be because at that point he'd be one of the best two way SGs in the league. I don't he averages 20 though. Maybe 15-17 if he's really hitting his shots.

I don't think ppg is as important for someone like Butler as his efficiency. 3 pointers, FTs, low TOs. He is just lacking in the 3 point shooting, but that is probably the most important piece.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think ppg is as important for someone like Butler as his efficiency. 3 pointers, FTs, low TOs. He is just lacking in the 3 point shooting, but that is probably the most important piece.
If he's able to get himself to the FT line maybe 8-9 times a game at around 85%, would that offset shooting 3s at like 33% in your mind?