Is it time to tear down Soldier Field

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't really have any good opinion on this debate because I don't live in Chicago and rarely go to Bears games in person. Assuming thats pretty similar to @WestCoastBearsFan. Bears aren't going to give up that location for some suburb location, imo. There's nothing wrong with having an older stadium that doesn't hold 100k people. Look at Wrigley - that place is badass. It's just different. It has history and character, no reason to change it. Sure, when you go to other state of the art stadiums, it makes Wrigley look like shit but who cares? Those new stadiums with all the amenities don't have shit on Wrigley in the end. SF is fine. A new stadium will probably happen with time but I don't suspect it will be anytime soon.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It’s ridiculous to even think about any time soon.

There was a decision to be made in 2000 that settled it for decades.

There is not any appetite for funding a brand new stadium twenty years after funding a brand new stadium insert.

None.

This is not a subject being discussed or debated by people who could make this decision.

Any public official even suggesting a new stadium would be crucified.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I thought Soldier Field had landmark status. You would not be able to tear it down. That's why they built on top of it

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I dont know why this is bears news, they dont own the stadium, name, property, its all owned by the Chicago Park District.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Too Bad ... Couldn't the CITY of Chicago find a way to make that LakeFront contain "The Mightiest, most BEAUTIFUL Stadium " .... and domed, ..... IN THE WORLD ????

Didn't they do some IMMENSE renovations for the CITY at the turn of the 19th Century in its History ??? Wasn't there like some kinda of Exposition ? I mean its been awhile BUT couldn't Civic Pride take a note from a Past Precedent and Rejuvenate LakeShore and Soldier Field ????? I always felt that "my" city was Number ONE ....

GO AHEAD ..... PROVE IT

show the World how it's done Chicago

..... (( I mean s++t, they can build UP at a steeper Angle than is normal if they want to , and make people in the STACKs sign a friggin waiver before they get season tickets to cover their asses, THERE are NO EARTHQUAKEs in Chicago ... not like on the LeftCoast ... GET WITH IT, do it Hahahah ... tie people to a zipline to go up and down.... Give Men and Women special zipline lanes to go to the HUGE Restrooms !!!! with SuperPads at the bottom !!!!))

Heck, PreGame, have people jumping amidst the tailgaters outside, ParaSailing NOW That's MY CHICAGO

Last edited:

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought Soldier Field had landmark status. You would not be able to tear it down. That's why they built on top of it

That was the initial idea, but then it lost it's landmark status in 2006 anyhow.

The whole thing was such a circus side show act that only someone living 2000 miles away would willingly rebirth this whole discussion.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
It was why they left the columns, but if they wanted a super bowl, they needed to get 20,000 more seats in there at least, and a roof

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No absolutely not. It can be designed like the rose bowl with a ton of seats and known for not having very many bad seats. You are acting like this is impossible when it’s really not.

IL has a 225 BILLION DOLLAR pension deficit with NO clue how to fix it. On top of that the city of Chicago has a large unfunded pension fund also, the new governor is throwing a new 30 some cent per gallon gas tax on an already high taxed product. The people are already paying taxes thru the nose, and you're saying no problem tax them more to buy a new stadium for a family of millionaires.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Why is everyone talking about the McCaskey family? SF is owned by the Chicago Park District. The McCaskey family doesn't own the land or the stadium, they rent it, it's like talking about a tenant tearing down an apartment building he is a resident in.

That security deposit would be history.
Beyond that, where the fuck would the Bears build a stadium?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That was a great King Daley moment in history.

A charter franchise of the NFL wants a new stadium and Daley says "Not at the expense of our tax paying citizens!"

A chance to finally out do his daddy and bring the Olympic Games to Chicago "No problem! We will just demo this hospital over here and be fine!"
To bad the Olympic committee didn't go along with Daley, Ryan and all of the other cronies that thought they were about to hit a jackpot.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And yet nobody would objectively say SF is nicer than lambeau

What? Seems like you have never been to soldier field.

lambeau is a piece of shit. only thing it has going is nostalgia.

Soldier looks ugly from one angle, outside the stadium. Looks awesome from the lake. And inside, its nice. I don't know about amenities like a shopping mall or gourmet food or a nightclub or whatever the fuck but imo the football viewing experience at soldier is excellent. And the grass has been fine basically since Pace came on.

The only legitimate complaints are the small size (which might be an advantage for increasing crowd noise) and how it looks from outside the stadium. I don't know what you are on about with the rest. It's not dumpy or ugly inside at all.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
A few points:
1. You have to love guys who don't live in the city, county, or even state proposing these things.
2. I'm pretty sure I've read a number of times that in terms of real money, the McCaskey's are the poorest out of the owners of the NFL (I understand nobody is shedding a tear for them), so that means they can't afford to build a stadium, which means.....
3. The taxpayers would be on the hook, and that wouldn't even begin to factor in the sweetheart deals the McCaskey's would get on property taxes and the like.
4. Arlington Heights and Rosemont are not attractive locations, and you voluntarily give up one of the great views in the NFL. Oddly enough, Gary would work in this regard.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Probably not close to what an NFL stadium requires, but really can't they just bulldoze out enough acres for the new state of the art dome /new home for the beloved?
There's a very big plot of unused land in Country Club Hills.