chibears55

Liked Posts:
Good pitching is contagious
Another great quality start..

Keep it going Chatwood

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
It feels anecdotal but sure seems like Almora and Baez just provide a lot of energy to the team with their defense.
Defense
Offense at top of order
Baserunning ability

2 young kids having fun playing the game ..

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It feels anecdotal but sure seems like Almora and Baez just provide a lot of energy to the team with their defense.

They are also both aggressive on the bases. Almora ran into a dumb out being overly aggressive a week ago, but in general, they're both smart on the bases.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Watching the Cards vs Pirates right now.

The Cardinals are astonishingly bad on D (still).

Errors cost them last night while blowing a 5-0 lead, (it was 5-2 in the 9th).

Tonight, Pham has an error in CF. Carpenter has a miscue that was not an error, and a horrible throw to first that was saved, or would have led to a huge inning by Pitt. Wong misses a DP not getting a ball out of his glove. Yadi allows a passed ball that leads to a run on a Sac Fly that followed. Ball just tapped in front of plate, and Yadi waits for P to field it instead of picking it up and throwing to first when the runner on 3rd retreats.....it's a total shitfest, and I LOVE it!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
His power numbers dropped to low 20s for 2 years after he broke his wrist, he hit 35 his last full year with cubs before he got traded..
Lee Ramirez and Soriano carried that cubs offense late 2000s

I believe that the juiced 2005. Got injured took a while to get 100%. His 2nd resurgence came after he came back from a bulged disc in his neck. I really had a hard time believing that that 2nd return was not artificially aided.

That said he was a excellent hitter. He was a line drive hitter that got on base and hit near .300. He really was never this power hitter that those 2 years turned out. Which kinda made me believe that he was involved with the system then used to fast recover a major injury. That stuff happened even after from players looking to get an edge.

That said I respected his way of playing the game. Baseball was in love with the HR and expected that and didn't respect his complete approach.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

They are hitting. They both have been energy types for a while. I believe that they have adapted to MLB pitching right now and are showing their talent.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He got to be more consistent

Pitchers pitch 32 games per year. Give it time. Last year he went 7-3 with a .3.74 ERA. With the sox in a hitters league he pretty much avg 3.50 ERA, 29 YO in his prime years. Add to it he has pretty much avg 200 IP per.

I see it as he has had a few bad outings. That is it. His track record is stellar.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Game 1: 6 IP 6 ER
Game 2: 6 IP 0 runs
game 3: 2.1 IP 7 ER
Game 4: 5.1 IP 4 ER
Game 5: 7 IP 0 ER

So it could be a few issues. Atl wrecked him for sure. Could have been mechanical or tipping or he just had nothing that day. But with those 2 duds you see 2 games that he gave up nothing.

The way you look at it is when he is on he is ace level. When he is off he needs to keep the game in control and manage. That is his next step.

I remember watching a game after Wood's surgery before he converted to a closer. He had nothing that day except a 92 MPH fastball and a change. All he did was change speeds all day and shut them out for 7 innings. Sometimes having a B game is all a pitcher needs to make the next step.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
To all you broken down nags out there, i understand, I grew up at Wrigley in the '70s, and all through Jim Hendry era, ouch.

Next gen, I cannot un-remember Marmol in relief and Soriano on the outside breaking balls.

But this roster is savage, enjoy it, this type of personnel, coach, and GM is fleeting, your bitching is technically meritorious but try to see the big picture: these ARE the glory days for the Cubs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
To all you broken down nags out there, i understand, I grew up at Wrigley in the '70s, and all through Jim Hendry era, ouch.

Next gen, I cannot un-remember Marmol in relief and Soriano on the outside breaking balls.

But this roster is savage, enjoy it, this type of personnel, coach, and GM is fleeting, your bitching is technically meritorious but try to see the big picture: these ARE the glory days for the Cubs.

BIzWbCBCUAEurUF.jpg

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Well said....it passes just too fast. This is an elite team, enjoy them while you can....they won't be around forever.

Just ask us Blackhawk fans....

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Just saw a column in The Athletic from Ken Rosenthal that mentions that since the 2017 All Star break, in 90 games Javy is batting .295 with 20 HRs and 67 RBI.

So, it's not an 11-game thing. That includes his very slow start this season.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I don't literally want to never see Happ or Zobrist starting, but that 8-man lineup should be our lineup the vast majority of games. No need to overthink anything.
I agree..
Having a set lineup works..
Keeps these guys ready and in rhythm everyday..

Happ Zobrist LaStella Caratini will get their starts when needed to give rest and certain matchups, other then that just stick with the regular 8..

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree..
Having a set lineup works..
Keeps these guys ready and in rhythm everyday..

Happ Zobrist LaStella Caratini will get their starts when needed to give rest and certain matchups, other then that just stick with the regular 8..

Not happening.

Why?

Because the guy who makes these calls has averaged 97 wins a year since he got here....and set lineups are not part of his MO.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Not happening.

Why?

Because the guy who makes these calls has averaged 97 wins a year since he got here....and set lineups are not part of his MO.
Sorta not true..
After Schwarber went down and outside the 3 headed catchers, he pretty much went with the same guys in the 2nd half in 2016..
3 catchers
Rizzo
Baez
Russell
Bryant
Zobrist
Fowler
Heyward

Last year he played musical outfield because of slumps and injuries

Zobrist and Happ will get their starts to stay fresh and matchups but i think as long as Almora hitting and playing solid D (i only mention Almora cause he not gonna sit anyone else more then a game here and there)there no reason to sit him just to force Happ and Zobrist in the lineup more.

He got the perfect bench with those two and LaStella..

LaStella LH who has a good eye, makes good contact and is a good situational hitter..

Happ SH with power and plays multiple positions

Zobrist SH some power, on base guy that makes good contact, also plays multiple positions

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Here’s what you’re missing with Maddon’s lineups, he goes to more of a steady 8 late in the season gearing up for the playoffs. Before that he mixes things up so everyone gets AB and defensive time. He’s always going to do that. What you’re seeing from Almora and Baez is Joe letting them learn those spots and they’re acing their tests. Once they look like they have it nailed he’ll put other guys there so that they have options. I’ve followed Maddon for a decade, I just like how he manages. You’re unlikely to see a solidified starting 8 until August