IST: Cubs @ Astros

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Quote here:

Teammates and manager Joe Maddon are among those lamenting the respected Zobrist’s absence, as detailed in Wittenmyer’s piece. Asked if Zobrist won’t come back in 2019, Maddon admitted, “I have to think that way, absolutely,” adding the Cubs must “mentally be prepared” that his season is over. Even if Zobrist does return, Maddon noted that “it’s going to take him a while to get back up to speed.”

Dude this is strait from Joe.

Nothing in there says the Cubs think Zobrist is "most likely done" (your words). It doesn't even say that they "think" he's done, just that they have to be prepared in case he is. And acting like Zobrist needs to repeat Spring Training for six weeks to "get back up to speed" is just silly. A minors stint to get his timing back is all it would take.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
The "Epstein should've waited to see more from Hendricks before extending him" crowd has been remarkably quiet lately. Huh.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ahhh, I see a quick pop in from the Douche Bag....two negative posts and it's back home to Doucheland.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Cubs really needed that one. Big night for Kyle Hendricks.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
He's been fantastic in May.
Oddly he's always bad in April and June but great the other months.

Mar/april 4.29/3.99 ERA/FIP
may 2.71/3.56
june 4.67/4.71
july 2.48/3.02
aug 2.70/3.37
sept 2.49/2.83

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Nothing in there says the Cubs think Zobrist is "most likely done" (your words). It doesn't even say that they "think" he's done, just that they have to be prepared in case he is. And acting like Zobrist needs to repeat Spring Training for six weeks to "get back up to speed" is just silly. A minors stint to get his timing back is all it would take.

Do you really think that he is keeping in baseball shape while dealing with a divorce? These guys train over the winter also and it takes a few weeks just to start baseball activities. That is why Joe said it will take time.

The worst situation is to be up there playing at 50% because your life is a mess. I I recall right this is the reason why Sandberg retired the first time.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But a good win from the closest thing the Cubs have to an ace right now.

Even though the ump was very sketchy with the high strikes. Few were over zone that he called. Last pitch didn't even tail over the plate and he rung him up. Pretty shotty but I'll take it.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Oddly he's always bad in April and June but great the other months.

Mar/april 4.29/3.99 ERA/FIP
may 2.71/3.56
june 4.67/4.71
july 2.48/3.02
aug 2.70/3.37
sept 2.49/2.83

So should we sit him for June?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yeah, and people say Contrares hurts us catching too, cant frame, throws the ball away too much, rough calling games (could not get on the same page with Hamels the last two either). Nobody has seen what the fitter fixed knee Schwarber could do behind the plate yet.
Yeah, and those people are 100% correct.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
So....after all the wailing and crying, the end result is we won 1 of 3 against the league's best team, in their park, while missing our two MVP candidates?

We lost two games in which h hit a hundred homers, and then won one?

Gee, I thought all was doom and gloom.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You could have said the same with Schwarber in LF.

Again if Schwarber was producing then this would not even be a issue. But .222/.333/.425 really sucks for a bat first player
Which has nothing at all to do with him playing catcher.
He is not a catcher. Not if he hits .500. Not if he hits .200.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
OMG.....

I was honestly thinking,,,

Russell 2B (.365 OBA)
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Baez SS
Contreras C
Caratini LF (not enough data)
Almora CF (last 2 swap depending on if Caratini is hitting L or R.)
Heyward RF

I was looking over the lead off issue and Russell really is doing a nice job ATM and they can also swap in Bote and Descalso depending on who is hot ATM. But all 3 have a decent walk rate this year.

Yeah. let's experiment with Daniel Descalso at leadoff.
Or, alternatively, let's just tell the ump to start the game with one out, and not risk injury.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The "Epstein should've waited to see more from Hendricks before extending him" crowd has been remarkably quiet lately. Huh.
I am here every day, and can't recall ever seeing such sentiment. Ever.

Globetrotter

Liked Posts:
So....after all the wailing and crying, the end result is we won 1 of 3 against the league's best team, in their park, while missing our two MVP candidates?

We lost two games in which h hit a hundred homers, and then won one?

Gee, I thought all was doom and gloom.

Never mind them missing a few guys.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Which has nothing at all to do with him playing catcher.
He is not a catcher. Not if he hits .500. Not if he hits .200.

Schwarber is on a mini run but the body of work is not of a lead off hitter.

Add to it he is the emergency catcher right now. He still would be the emergency catcher.

But this is more about finding AB for Caratini. LF is a easier field to play. But he came up with ATL as a 3B. Was converted to catcher in his 2nd year back in 2014. I'm not sure if there is this major issue going on considering Schwarber figured it out.

But if Schwarber turns it on then it becomes moot.