I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Edwards new pitching motion was called illegal and had to revert back. So all that work went to waste. Carl was pissed that they waited until the last weak of training to ban his pause.

I'm not going to lie here. I wasn't pleased with Maples set to AAA. So I'm not behind the braintrusts thought process right now.

Regarding Joe:
If you give a guy a box of sand and tell him to build a bridge it is not a simple task.

It’s not, however...I questioned the way joe went about the 8th inning. If I recall correctly...he brings cishek in to face the lefty freeman. And I get that cishek has had success with lefties blah blah blah, but that to me seemed like the spot to bring in monty. Then you bring Edwards or cishek to face acuna. Then depending on the situation...Rosario to face markakis. You blow through however many arms needed to get the ball thru the 8th and to the 9th for strop with a lead. Instead, he brings in the righty to face the lefty because he wanted him to pitch to acuna as well, and ends up blowing thru his bullpen assbackwards anyways while losing the lead.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Kimbrel with the team yet?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Kimbrel with the team yet?
Devils advocate.... let's say the cubs went and signed him today. And let's say he doesn't pitch well. Then what? I mean you have to wonder why it's april and 29 other teams haven't signed him either. That's why I really hate a lot of the hindsight talk I see from fans about bad FA signings. Heyward looked like an upgrade when he was being signed. Same goes for Darvish.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Devils advocate.... let's say the cubs went and signed him today. And let's say he doesn't pitch well. Then what? I mean you have to wonder why it's april and 29 other teams haven't signed him either. That's why I really hate a lot of the hindsight talk I see from fans about bad FA signings. Heyward looked like an upgrade when he was being signed. Same goes for Darvish.

I think the kimbrel angst is that some fans think that since the season has begun now, maybe kimbrel would consider a 1 year deal to pitch this season and hope to get a better deal next offseason. Keep his value up more(if he pitches well) than if he sat out all season. Not saying it’s a credible thought process, but the longer the season goes on...the more of a possibility it becomes. Especially with the struggles cubs pitching is having

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Fair point. But you're at least trying. And I'd trust Kimbrel to turn it around more than anyone else they are rolling out there with right now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I think we have to look at it as is he better than what we have vs he is not as good as he was.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This line caught me.

'Kimbrel won’t be a magic fix for one of these teams. He’s not going to pitch three innings every night. For the Cubs, he won’t solve Mike Montgomery’s 40.50 ERA or the fact that Tyler Chatwood is on the roster.'

What he does is cause a domino effect. Him coming in pushes Strop into set up situations. The current set up is really hodgepodge right now. So that stablizes the 8-9 inning with the lead.

After that you look at what has and has not worked.

Brach 0.00 ERA. Looks like a legit 7th inning option.
Kintzler 0.00 ERA. Rebounding nice and could be a 6-7 inning guy and trusted with the lead.

Rest have something to prove right now.

But that is when things start to take shape. Then getting Morrow just stablizes that situation more. Pushing more unstability out.

To me this is really not about winning this year. It is about budget

chibears55

Liked Posts:
This line caught me.

'Kimbrel won’t be a magic fix for one of these teams. He’s not going to pitch three innings every night. For the Cubs, he won’t solve Mike Montgomery’s 40.50 ERA or the fact that Tyler Chatwood is on the roster.'

What he does is cause a domino effect. Him coming in pushes Strop into set up situations. The current set up is really hodgepodge right now. So that stablizes the 8-9 inning with the lead.

After that you look at what has and has not worked.

Brach 0.00 ERA. Looks like a legit 7th inning option.
Kintzler 0.00 ERA. Rebounding nice and could be a 6-7 inning guy and trusted with the lead.

Rest have something to prove right now.

But that is when things start to take shape. Then getting Morrow just stablizes that situation more. Pushing more unstability out.

To me this is really not about winning this year. It is about budget
Let not sit here and think Morrow going to save the day...
He 34 and coming back from elbow surgery
He was limited last season and will most likely be limited more this season

So, let not get our hope up too high on Morrow and him cementing that closer role..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Let not sit here and think Morrow going to save the day...
He 34 and coming back from elbow surgery
He was limited last season and will most likely be limited more this season

So, let not get our hope up too high on Morrow and him cementing that closer role..

I did say stablizing more. Not being the saviour.

I believe in what I posted. Find stability. Right now there is some. It is not completely inept.

Kintzler 0.00. And Brach 0.00. so both are getting it done. So why not lean on them when the game matters. Let them prove if they are capable.

Then that really pushes the rest into situational or lower pressure.

That is how you sort this mess with no roster change. Cishek was a hick up and Strop most likely just needs more work right now.

Rest are expendable

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Can't be swept....right?

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Damn. Great play by Donaldson..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Looking like one of those games where they get solid pitching from Darvish but the offense gets shutdown

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its wet. Lets throw curveballs. Good lord